AWD #276: Santos Ridge: It Started So Well
Santos Ridge: It Started So Well
Summary: A group of Orion's marines are evacuating civilians from a danger zone. Things go fine until they reach the abandned city of Santos Ridge.
Date: 09/Oct/2013
Related Logs: None
Mallas Amos Knox Fischer Lleufer Brina Kostas Samtara Iphigenia Jax 
Santos Ridge
A nuked city on Picon's other continent.
AWD #276

Southbound. Fifteen SUVs and pickup trucks are transporting the evacuees at fifty miles per hour down main avenues towards the center of town… or what's left of it. The nuclear weapon was an airburst that went off just to the west of the center and crumbled most of the high rises but left the smaller buildings intact. The skyline of the town is a radioactive, craggy mess. However, detouring around it is impossible because the Centurions have already been confirmed moving in to occupy the city from the suburbs to the east and west. Spree's 91st Marine Mountain Division is already advancing up from the south but they won't be there until the weekend to reinforce the scattered troops in place to the south of the city. The weather is cold, though. This far north, winter has already settled in. The mountains on each side of this valley, rising past twelve thousand feet, are covered with snow. The wind is blustery even without the speed of the vehicles, but its as fast as the armor can travel and leaving behind that kind of escort would be potential suicide. Heading towards late afternoon, though, it promises to be a cold one with thick, unbroken grey clouds skimming the tops of the mountaintops.
Currently the convoy, with one TI-107 up front and another in the middle, are entering the business districts. Passing the warehouses at the north end, they're getting into more commercial areas with small office buildings and storage units. The occasional gas station and chain restaurant remains, but not a single building has intact windows. Skeletal human remains and burned out cars litter the streets and terrain, nobody even able to stop or try to avoid them as they rush southbound at high speed. At the moment they are passing a Santos Ridge Police Department squad car, doors flung open. The remains of a SWAT officer surrounded by weathered brass is slumped against the front of the the shot-to-pieces car with obvious wounds having blown his vest to pieces. SRPD didn't go down without a fight, it seems.

Private Mallas is, as usual, the grunt doing what he's told. The job of team machinegunner seems to suit him, as he is once again lugging a Zasta LMG, along with extra ammo and a full pack. His trophy necklace of Centurion fingers dangles from around his neck, and he's also personalized his helmet today — while chalk letters across the front invite the Cylons to "HAVE A NICE DOWNLOAD." While he seems perfectly fine with the cold mountain climate, babysitting a bunch of civvies isn't his favorite job, as he is happy to tell anyone nearby. At least it sounds like they will run into the Canners up here.

Amos is riding shotgun in the leading car. He'd rather be in the rapier, surveying the terrain infront, but even grizzeled Captains don't always get what they want. Given the weather he has a thermal balaclava on under his helmet to keep his face warm. It means his voice is a little distorted when he puts a call out to the other marines to "Keep you eyes peeled. Lots of places for a sniper to hide. Anything strikes you as odd I want to know about it before rather than after." That said his eyes set to scanning the surroundings, carefully not glancing at the speedo as he knows it won't have moved, no matter how much he wills the Gods to make it so.

Cooper is in the same vehicle as Amos, the JTAC monitoring the radio frequencies. He's completely decked out with all of his gear and some extra magazines in the normally empty sack on his hip. His rifle is up and settled in the window sill of the vehicle while he scans and listens to what is going on around them in the air and on the ground. His face is grim, sporting a new pinks scar across his cheeck that points towards his right ear. He glances to the squad car as they pass and keeps his scan up. "Got a lot of action to the west about thirty miles, sir, on the other side of the mountains. Airdales are having a helluva time with the air defenses out there. Lotta heated requests for close air support, too."

In place, with his rifle ready, Fischer is watching their surroundings from the car he's in, shaking his head a little bit to himself. "And I thought this place was a mess before…" he mutters, to whoever is nearby to listen. Taking a few moments, one hand going to his body armor, at the spot where people probably know by now that he's keeping two photos wherever he goes.

It's gruesome, the remains, the reminders. Sergeant Ynyr is in the same truck with Doctor Nadir, ordered to keep her safe so she can do her job. Lucky him. Lleufer has his rifle held in hand but relaxed, watchful as he peers at the wreckeage with eyes sharp behind his ballistic goggles. Like Amos, he's got a balaclava to keep some of his face and neck warm, an extra black scarf around his neck over that. Gloves on, trying to stay warm like the rest of them. They are in the second vehicle behind Amos's as they travel south.

There is nothing fun about this mission and there is nothing about it that has Lance Corporal O'Connell happy. She has been quiet, for the most part, difficult to engage in conversation with any attempts from her fellow Marines met with short, crisply spoken responses or nods and shakes of her head. She's geared up more than normal, packing a few extra 'toys' to go with her normal rifle and pistol, and is wearing warm unders under her fatigues and armor, the former filling out her form, lending the impression of a rolly polly child instead of a hard-bitten, albeit tiny, combat-trained woman.

Kostas is somewhat bundled up, with the winter armor, but no more than what is necessary to keep safe and mostly warm without slowing her down. She rides in relative but easy silence whereever she was placed, dark eyes scanning the terrain for any movement, or anything interesting. There's a part of her that itches to poke around and see what's leftover in those burnt out shells, old habits dying hard.

One hand curled on the backpack she's sorted to hell and back with as much gear as possible and the other holding to what ever hand hand-hold is inside the truck to hold on to, Nadir is keeping as much of an eye on the surrounding scenery as she is on the contents of the backpack that she's compacting down to make room for more gear. There's bound to be a weight limit on what she can and can no tote around, but there's no such thing as to many supplies, usually a list of what she wished she'd packed.

Iphigenia is in the back of the frontmost vehicle, looking like a turtle in her heavy combat vest and resting her rifle between her knees. Yes indeed, the priestess is packing. This isn't her area of expertise, but she has sharp eyes and so she sets them to keeping a lookout for potential attack. "I'm surprised we didn't have any difficulties with actually moving people, Captain. People can be unexpectedly stubborn, I find."

It's no disrespect to Iphigenia, but Amos keeps his eyes on the surroundings as he first acknowledges Knox, then replies to the Priestess. "Thank you Sergeant, keep me informed and let me know if the 91st start sqwarking too." A pause while he squints at a building roof a moment then, "I think they realised there wasn't a real choice Captain. That or maybe they decided that with the cold setting in they'd rather be somewhere more temperate. They might be non-combatants, but they still have a strong survival instinct which is good to see."

Cooper nods, keeping counsel on his radio and what's outside. "Copy, sir. Not a peep from them down south." He'll apparently let the Captain know if something changes. The man keeps the rifle settled against his shoulder, though.

There's not too much talk from Fischer as he leans back a bit in his seat, looking out at their surroundings rather carefully. Frowning a bit as he does, he keeps silent for now, shrugging a bit to himself.

Continuing southbound, the convoy snakes off through a sidestreet where a taller building collapsed onto its side on the road in front of them. They turn off and are forced to dogleg back to the south, then east, then south again. The lead armor crashes through the front end of an side-toppled 18 wheeler. It shoves the whole thing out of the way as they pass by a strip mall and looted stores. Coming closer towards downtown, they're forced to move around it slightly and kick out west towards the suburbs, skirting them through more office parks. The buildings here are more tightly packed, though. Most of them are built close enough together that one could walk between them in bad weather without getting too badly pelted by rain or snow. The smell of decay and burned materials is especially strong here, even despite the wind. Or perhaps mabe because of it. It roils the senses, getting in deep in the back of the mind.

<FS3> Knox rolls Alertness: Great Success.
<FS3> Amos rolls Alertness: Failure.
<FS3> Mallas rolls Alertness: Success.
<FS3> Brina rolls Alertness: Success.
<FS3> Kostas rolls Alertness: Good Success.
<FS3> Fischer rolls Alertness: Success.
<FS3> Lleufer rolls Alertness: Success.

It's been awhile since she had to deal with it on a regular basis, unless you count the barracks after a particularly indigestible dinner offering, but Kostas isn't a stranger to dank and filthy smells. Her nostrils flare slightly, but she otherwise betrays no reaction, other than a softly muttered. "Twice in two weeks? Definitely startin' ta feel like home." Something seems to catch her eye, and she activates their team comm devices. "Look sharp! We got comp'ny from th' South. Fuckin' Raiders! Two that I can see. Headin' straight for us!"

Is glad of the balaclava as they continue to move through the ruins. It might not be much, but it's at least one layer between his nose and the smell. His own SMI 80 is kept ready but so far it's had nothing to do and he's not going to be devistated if it stays tha way. Glancing down a side street he gets momentarilly blinded by a reflection from some metal scrap and he instinctively raises the rifle just in case it's centurions. It's not, and he's just blinking his vision clear as he hear's Kostas's shout. "Copy that. Rapiers, Private Mallas, now's your time to shine. I want those frakers eating dirt two minutes ago." Then to Knox, "Sergeant, see if anyone about wants to volunteer knoweldge of where they came from."

Brina watches out the window, her eyes kept on the scenery on her side of the vehical. She isn't looking in the right direction, however, and she finds herself turning towards the south, about bending herself in an angle that looks as comical as it does painful. "Shit." The rifle she brought with her has been sitting on her lap the entire time and she finds herself grateful as it means she won't have to try and hurry to get it into her hands if they wind up having to use the damn thing. "Why can't we just have one nice day out," she grunts, her breath hitching in her chest a little. "Frak it all."

Knox is busy looking at buildings and wreckage, looking for chrome. He looks around at the call and leans out the window a bit and up. "Shit! Got 'em!" He settles back into his seat and gets on his radio, "Pan pan pan! Any Vipers, this is Mike Six Four, any aircraft in the vicinity of Santos ridge, we've got Raiders inbound on a priority convoy! Need immediate support, over!" He leans back out the window to watch them for a few seconds, listening. "Copy! Expedite!" he calls back. Then, to Amos, "Sir, we've got two Vipers inbound, ETA twenty minutes!"

The detour around the collapsed building and the slow down are a little worrisome, but so far, all looks normal and undisturbed in terms of not being freshly errected road blocks. The smell certainly isn't pleasant. Lleufer wrinkles his nose and after a glance to Samtara, shifts the edge of his balaclava over his nose. Won't keep the smell out but it'll keep down dust. Mostly Ynyr's gaze stays focused on out there. His body position tenses and he shifts in his seat to try and get a better look when Ensign Kostas's voice rings out over their radio ear buds. "Shit. And no air support." Lleu glances to Samtara, "Hold on Doc, it's about to get hairy fast. Might have to ditch the main track and take cover. Listen for orders over the radio set." Obviously while the trucks are still going full tilt, nobody's gett'n out. He may not have much faith their armour can take'm out before a lot of damage might be done to the column.

Mallas is riding along with the Marines, keeping his on his eye on his assigned sector and, for the most part, looking bored. Nothing to see here, and he's smelled worse. But the tone of the voice crackling over the radio sounds urgent, and so does the Captain when ordering him into action. Mallas hefts his weapon and looks skyward, squinting to try and pick out the raiders. "Aye aye, sir … but they're gonna be in range way before I am…" That doesn't sound promising.

Sealing the backpack with a decisive twist of the draw string and folding over the flap to snap it in place, Nadir can hear the radio chatter - even if she can't hear the shouting - and reaches up to snug her helmet down a bit tighter than it was before. Not, of course, enough to cut off circulation, as that would be bad, but she's a huge fan of helmets that could potentially stop bullets from shredding her gray matter and turn it into external gray matter that has the appearance of nasty jelly. "Holding, listening and not getting in the way," she confirms in a quiet voice that accompanies the nod she aims at Lleu.

The smell makes Fischer pause for a few moments now, as he lets out a deep breath, making sure to has his own nose covered at the moment. The mention of the Raiders make him mutter a few choice words under his breath as he makes sure to keep himself ready for whatever comes now. Glancing around at the others very briefly, then back outside.

"Understood," Amos replies crisply to Knox. Vipers good, twenty minutes bad. He knows it and he knows the sergeant does too, still, if it's what they've got then they'll have to make do. He doesn't have a great view from his side of the vehicle and so turns his attention back to the surroundings. It really wouldn;t do to be ambushed from the ground while watching the air after all. "Stay sharp," he orders over the radio, "we have air support inbound so lets not loose site of the objective. Keep our flanks and rear covered."

The tank commanders from each vehicle hear the call and they both pop out of their hatches and run the charging handles on their .50 cals. But try as they might, they can't get the angle up steep enough. The lead one starts to fire anyway in hopes of causing some kind of reaction, but the Raiders barrel in as if on rails. The lead Raider has a smoke trail appear under its port wing and a missile flies off a rail. It careens down towards the convoy and impacts the lead TI-107 in the front armor. The missile explodes in a puff of smoke and the vehicle disappears into it with the speed. Half of a second later the tank explodes and the turret flies high into the air over the convoy as it tries to swerve around the slowing vehicle. The turret comes down in a heavy, mangled heap on the sixth vehicle back and throws the truck into a cartwheel, the rear end flipping over the top and sending the kids and pregnant woman around and one of the young kids out onto the pavement. Meanwhile the other sets up a guns run and begins strafing. It hits the rear of the column and shreds the metal of the last two vehicles, each of them coming to a crashing halt, nobody possibly surviving those hits.

<FS3> Mallas rolls Firearms - 2: Good Success.
Mallas mutters under his breath as he's straining to pick out the tiny, fast moving raiders against the sky. "Come get some mother frakker …" Improvised anti-aircraft defense at it's finest. "Ares…" he's still muttering as he picks up the lead Raider. "… Got another one for you." He eases onto trigger and tracers go arcing up into the sky. He doesn't try to track, just lays out ahead of the leader and lays on the trigger, hoping the raider will come and meet it. And amazingly, it does! There's a flash of bullets hitting the raider's fuselage, and then it screams past, leaving a long, thin trail of white smoke in its wake. "Holy shit! Did you see that? I frakked him up good." He sounds surprised himself. He hasn't noticed a thing that's happened on the ground.

Iphigenia looks to the left. Looks to the right. Didn't anoyone see that? Iphigenia slings her rifle up and onto her back, pushing out of the truck and ducking low as she darts toward the child on the ground.

Amos ducks instinctively as the armour infront of him explodes. There also some words which you probably shouldn't say infront of a Priestess. With the convoy now slowed by having to manouver round the exploded tank and being torn to pieces by aerial fire he catches Iphigenia's disembarkation out of the corner of his eye. Frak. That's really when he didn't need right now, he can't go after her, nor can Knox so he's going to need to dump that problem on someone else. "O'Connell!" he calls over the radio, "get Captain Arden back in a vehicle. I don't care how you do it but get it done. We're sitting sucks here if we don't keep moving!" THat said though, he's eyeing up the surronding area for anywhere to take cover until those vipers arrive on station.

Knox ducks as well when that armor explodes in front of them. "FRAK ME!" he bellows. He leans out he window to watch the turret sail through the air and crash down on the vehicle back in line. "Shit! Sir! We got crago on the pavement!"

Kostas curses out loud as bodies and vehicle parts fly. The chaplain diving from a moving vehicle catches her eye. "We gotta a motherfrakkin' bailer, Sister on the frakkin' loose." As she hears Amos' call over the radio, she says to the folks in her vehicle, "Look sharp, be ready t' cover 'em." She too is looking around. "If we slowin' down, get ready ta haul ass and pack 'em in. Gonna be a tight fit, but we gonna try and get as many as we can."

And here it comes! Lleufer so wants to fire shots with his rifle at the incoming Raiders but it's far too light to do any good against a ship. His rounds will only come back down on their own people or fall short of hitting anything useful. He sits perched half out of the window of the truck and swears, cussing a blue streak half under his breath. Not loud though, trying also listen for orders, "Frak! Going to have to take cover, man." Obviously he's not speaking to Dr Nadir and Lleu's radio is NOT flipped on to broadcast as he's not remotely ranked to be in command here. He cranes his head around when the civies further back are hit, "Shit!" Yeah, his heart rate is up. Sergeant Ynyr grits his teeth and flips on his radio, "Sir! Ynyr here. We can't take more passes like that while waiting for Vipers! Sitting Ducks even moving! Shouldn't we get them to cover?! We aren't equipted to fight that." Yeah, he might get chewed out for questioning.

"Sir, we moving who we can out of th' disabled vehicles?" Kostas radios up to Amos. "While we stopped anyway, could try ta get 'em in. Or we holdin' and coverin'?"

"Oh shit…" The sight of the tumbling vehicle and the child being tossed from it like a ragdoll has Brina cussing up a storm, her face going pale. "Nonono…" Whatever she might be feeling beyond that initial reaction is something she's distracted from when the call for her to get out and fetch the priestess comes up over the radio. "Mother frakker… this is why non-combatants should just stay the frak home," she barks while getting out, thumbing the safety off at the same time so she can be prepared to shoot when the time comes. Iphigenia is looked for as she runs.

"Frak…" Fischer mutters as he sees the chaos with the other vehicles. Readying his rifle a bit extra, his stance in his seat changes a little, looking like he's ready to move at any moment now.

"The whole point of this mission is negated by losing the civilians and leaving them to die," Nadir adds her voice to the remarks being exchanged on comm. "We're humans, Captain, we only stay human as long as we keep acting like humans. We can't leave them there to die," she shrugs the backpack onto her shoulders and is reaching for the buckle holding her in place and working it open one handed, reaching for the door handle with the other. She doesn't leap out of a moving vehicle, no, as her ability to leap - roll - land on her feet and keep going is not at all a strength or asset.

Amos really, really wants to keep the convoy moving. They're still a long way form home and the 91st are days away. He can't ignore the situation behind though and he crains his neck round to see just whats going on. "Need the comms clear Captain," he replies quickly to Sam, point or no he wants the airwaves clear in case someone needs to shout out. With the damage done by Mallas not enough to down the lead raider he quickly eyes up the options available and finds he likes entirely none of them. "Listen up," he calls over the radio, "we need to preserve ourselves best we can til the vipers show and that means cover. Rapier, knock yourself a whole in one of those office buildings and get into it, we'll need you later. Rest of you, see a big enough window, drive through it. I don't fancy our chances of finding replacement vehicles so keep these intact. Now move!"

"Yeah, it's a matter of pickin' how many you gonna save, doc. Toast 'em all for one? Or get as many out as ya *can* with what you got," Kostas says to Sam, not needing the comm, though she's prepping to move what and whoever they can to vehiciles that are actually going to be moving, even as she speaks. "Let the shields get out first, doc, if you bite it then we *all* fucked. Bein' smart ain't not bein' *human*. We need ta get the ones that are still up to shelter. *Then* we can go back. Otherwise, you just killed everyone. Pop a sit."

With a prayer on her lips, Iphigenia skids to a stop next to the child on the ground and hefts the kid onto her hip. Then her gaze frantically searches to and fro for a split second as she searches for cover and determines what direction to run.

It takes a little bit but the clergy woman is finally found. It probably only takes a few seconds but dammit if Brina's crappy mood hasn't turned entirely shitty by the time she's coming up on an intercept course. "Get the kid and yourself into the car," she yells, gesturing emphatically at the same time. There is no swearing but there sure as hell is no 'please' or 'would you be as so kind as to…', there being no time for manners. If it looks like Iphigenia might try to move further away from what's left of the convoy she will attempt to put herself between the other woman and wherever it is she is thinking of going.

Aaaannnndddd here goes their truck pulling off sharply! Yes, those Raiders are almost certainly coming around for another pass. Lleufer does what he might to track them visually but then he's watching entirely for cover. He points to gaping openings in a building that doens't look /too/ shabby like it might come down on top of them, "There! Go there! Enough room for several. Get'm OUT." Bump, hard BUMP and jostle and then the cloudy daylight over head dims dramatically as their truck seeks cover under the concrete and steel structure. Ynyr leaps out almost at once, rushing back towards the edge to direct in another truck with them, "Come on! Hurry up! Best they not see where you take cover!" Not that they have a lot of options.

The Raider hit by Mallas banks out and heads westbound trailing smoke as it vacates the area and up through the clouds to preserve itself. However the other Raider wings over to port and comes around, lining itself up on another gun run as it dives in on the group. But with the orders issued, the Marines driving each vehicle turn, but the last Rapier is the first and heaviest to react to the orders. The turret traverses and the gunner begins blowing holes in the low walls of a nearby office building. The whole vehicle leans heavily as it turns at speed and dives towards the building. The gun keeps firing, though, and blasting holes for the other vehicles. Boom-boom-boom-boom the 30mm pounds out, pieces of wall coming down everywhere rounds strike. After only a few seconds, though, it crashes into the building's first floor and comes to a stop, treads grinding heavily as it tries to turn slowly back around. Meanwhile vehicles full of wounded dive over the grass berm and get air in most cases. Most of them make it alright, bouncing up and into the building and into cover while they plow through desks and thin divider walls. One of them hits the berm wrong and goes over on its side, skidding to a halt inside while the sounds of screaming fill the air from all the vehicles. Meanwhile that TI-107 has managed to turn itself and the turret around and face outwards while the tank commander takes an ax to the ceiling to clear a hole to fire from his hatch. But that Raider, seeing everyone scatter, turns its aim on those left still outside. It beings firing but its too far out. 20mm rounds impact pavement in large chunks all over the place, throwing rocks and asphalt into the air near the flipped vehicle.

As soon as the truck she's in is under cover, Kostas is out as well, looking back to the disabled trucks. She's looking for a chance for the marines to form up and make ready to go drag as many more as they can to safety, though not until Amos gives the order, not leaving cover until it comes.

"Sergeant," Amos starts to Knox as their vehicle hits cover, "my compliments to the vipers and let them know we're done half their job for them but would still appreciate a hand at their earliest convenience." THat said he's pilling out with his rifle to see what can be done for those outside. Not breaking cover until the raider is past again he then signals the marines forward to the car on its side. Those further out will just have to wait a few mometns longer.

Knox is just along for the ride. He could be firing but his best weapon is the radio. "Any aircraft, Mike six four with a priority mission in Santos Ridge!" he barks, truck bouncing everywhere. He starts trailing out a long line of calls, nodding to Amos in the process. From the sound of it he's trying to get -anyone- nearby. He piles out after Amos and sticks with the Captain, trying to get any help he can.
<FS3> Knox rolls Communications: Great Success.

Getting out as well, Fischer looks like he's about to start forward to brave the incoming fire, but he manages to restrain himself, waiting for the others now. Keeping his rifle ready, and preparing himself for the order.

Too many people ordering her to do too many different things. But well, the buildings are being shot at, so Iphigenia heads for the convoy, clutching the injured child to her tightly.

Lleufer directs the other truck to pull in as far as it can, heading for the back of the open space, "Away from the street edge in case the Raider brings down debris. Turn it around! Yeah, prep to pull back out when ordered." Yeah, they got it. Ynyr looks to Kostas and checks on Dr Nadir before he jogs back and lays a hand on the Doc, "Stay under cover, Doc. We'll get them out of the street, then you can work on'm, all right?" Lleu tugs the strap down on his helmet and looks out, watching Ommanney already waving men to go in. He leaps back out into the street and makes a run for the overturned truck to see what help he can give to get the civies out.

The sky is watched once the Sister is complying, Brina worriedly keeping an eye on things. Her rifle is held as if she's expecting trouble, finger held on the trigger guard, her path following Iphigenia although she's moving slower since she's walking backwards.

Mallas is still leaning out the side window when the convoy goes off the road, trying to fire at the second raider as it comes around for another pass. But bouncing across the curb and sidewalk sends his aim all over the place. Tracers wave around in the sky, but none are anywhere near the streaking silver Cylon craft. "Ow! Frakkit!" Mallas yelps as he's banged around. "Learn how to drive!" Once the vehicle is under cover the Private clambers out, hauling his LMG along as he hoofs it towards the street, looking for a place to prop the weapon up and aim at the sky.

Amos leaving the other marines to get on with things for a moment, Amos seeks out the commander of the remaining Rapier and says quickly, "get plotting us a new route out of here. Sure as hell they'll be transmitting our position to all their mates and I have no intention of trying to hold this position until the 91st arrive." Then, seeking out Mallas notes that it appears the private is already doing what he was about to instruct him to and leaves the man to it.

The TI-107 in the building is all set up and facing outwards, but with Amos' orders the TC (Tank Commander) looks at him and yells. "Are you shitting me?? Look- FRAK IT!" He starts yelling for the driver to start plotting a course out. There's more cursing from the driver, though, but it doesn't sound happy. Something about a temperature being hot. Outside, though, with everyone running for the vehicle, the rounds continue plowing into the pavement. One of those rounds from the Raider plows a high explosive round through the front and rocks the whole truck. Kids are scrambling out while the pregnant woman is trying to help them out but appears stuck and pinned between seats. There are no screams from her. There is no yelling. Even when the round impacts the woman in her late twenties just gently tries to urge them out while trying to wipe the blood and tears from her face. Most of the kids look to have taken heavy cuts and scrapes and one, by the way he is holding his arm, probably broke it. But that Raider.. it just keeps plowing in and unloading its guns… and then the fire from an LMG hits it. Little blinks of light flicker across a wing intake and the Raider bucks, ceasing fire as the wobbles through the air and turns away. It starts to circle, around, but there's no smoke. The thing is obviously having trouble keeping level.

Her rifle in hand but held up as she moves towards the downed truck, Kostas shouts, "Go to where them big holes an' other trucks are, sweets! Run run run, and don't look back." Being shorter and not of a particularly beefy persuasion, she seems more inclined to boost littles down and give them a push in the right direction, her eyes on the sky to keep an eye on the bird. "Ynyr. Fisher. Can we cut 'er out! Keep runnin'! O'Connell! Wave an' show 'em where to go!"

<FS3> Mallas rolls Firearms - 2: Good Success.
Mallas reaches the sidewalk and finds what he's looking for — a squat blue post box. He crouches behind it and braces the light machinegun on top, aiming skyward and trying to find the second raider again. There it is! It worked well the first time, so he leads the thing way out in front and fires a long, continuous burst. Empty brass rattles onto the pavement as the weapon barks and kicks. He can see the raider is shooting, perhaps even hear the screams of dying children over the roar of the gun, but none of that seems to reach him. His mouth gapes open as he sees more hits, and he lets off the trigger. The dying civilians still don't seem to register on Private Mallas as he stands to watch the wobbling raider flying off, and he just laughs loudly at how improbable that was. He hit them both? "… oh man."

Brina gestures like she's trying to help with the parking of a car or an aircraft, left hand held as high as it can be over her head and motioned with per Kostas' order. She is very carefully keeping an eye out as people make their way quickly to cover. There's a tired, weary look in her eyes that gets all the more so, what's happening weighing upon her.

Amos is half tempted to explan to the TC just why sitting here for three days, with wounded and cylons closing in from all sides is a terrible idea, but the man turns to pass on the order so he leaves it be. Having noticed Knox being busy on the radio he turns to ask, "any news?" before he's glancing out to check on the status of the rescue outside. Seeing the kids he pulls the balaclava down so they can see more of his face, then ducks out of cover to pick up the closest and carry him back into the building.

Lleufer arrives at the over turned vehicle and the first thing he does once his rifle is slung over his shoulder is hand kids off to people as they run up. Then he's looking to the woman who's trapped in the backseat to see if he can get her out. Ynyr's mouth thins as his hands try to force the front seat forward but he gains little or nothing. His eyes make contact with the poor pregnant gal's and he touches her shoulder briefly, "We'll get you out." Or damned well try. Lleu lifts his baritone to shout, "We need something to cut the seat frame's out!" Jaws of life, anyone?

"Hurry to twhere they tell you to be moving, and you'll be safe," Fischer offers gently to the children as they help them, before he looks to the one with that probably broken arm. "The doctor lady will help you. She's very good at this." Nodding as he hears the rest of what's being said, he moves over to try helping Lleufer getting the woman get free now. Looking a bit lost about how, though.

Well, this is where the battlefield bellow comes in handy. When Kos hears Lleufer's shout, she relays it. "Oy! Need some cutters! Check the trucks an' send a runner!" She looks to Brina thoughtfully, though she's still eyeing the sky. "He look like he's comin' 'round, Mallas?"

Knox, keeping a kneel in the building beside the tank, is talking into his radio. He doesn't look happy, though. The rifle dangles from his chest and he looks towards the overturned truck until Amos addresses him. He finishes his low discussion on the radio before looking up at the Captain. "Sir." He takes a breath. "Vipers will be here in fifteen, but they're orienting air defense assets. Vipers may not be able to get much play time, if any." He looks back towards the suburbs in the distance. "Scouts are in full retreat from their observation posts. We've got roughly a whole company-sized attack of Centurions heading our way. ETA is ten minutes, Captain."

The kid on Iphigenia's hip is clinging to her like a tiny, adorable monkey. Once they're safe, she sets the child down, and seems intent on assisting with herding the rest to safety.

Mallas looks over at wrecked vehicle and stares at the Marines and Medical people helpling the wounded kids out and over to the buildings. Instead of rushing over to help, the Private turns away and keeps an eye out, swapping a fresh magazine into the Zasta. Then Kostas' shout causes him to look skyward again, double checking that the raiders have left. He gives her a shake his head. "He bugged out Q.B."

<FS3> Lleufer rolls Body: Failure.
Lleufer puts his back into it and all his strength while others seek the cutters - if the front seat is damaged enough it might be he can break it loose. Ynyr's muscles strain and he tries and tries with all his might, but no, he can't budge it. He looks up, "Cutters! Knox! Get your ass over here! You're stronger'n any of us!" Not that he has authority to be ordering his fellow Sergeant around but hey, maybe it'll fast. Lleu steps out of the way in case others can try.

Cutters? The Tank Commander leans out of his hatch and hands down the ax. "That's the best thing I've got for cutting! We'e not engineers." though what all he has strapped to that overweight Rapier is anyone's guess. The tool is handed down before he looks back to Amos. "Captain, our transmission is overheating. We need about two hours to cool it down before we're mobile again. Don't you frakkin leave us!" he challenges, a little bit of fear there. Up high, that Raider is still circling half a mile above them. Its probably relaying coordinates as they speak.

And that there, is precisely what Amos had feared. He takes a moment to breath, take in what Knox has just said, and start to formulate a new plan. Shit. In a word. Then he's calling out, "Ensign, you have five minutes to sort that before I need you and the others digging in. Move the damn truck if you have to." Then turning he spots Iphigenia, "Captain Arden, I need you to get teh civilians together and get them moving. There's a strip mall just down the road, or if you don't think you can make it there then get a couple of buildings away and find a cellar. We have hostiles expected in ten." Then to the TC, "centurions incoming, ten minutes, make ready as you can. Doesn't look like we're going anywhere." Finally a general yell, "anyone else, lets make this place as defensible as we can, use whatever you can find."

Brina grabs one of the older kids lightly by the arm and whispers, asking the boy, who is about twelve or so, to help keep the little kids together and try to keep them calm. Once she's sure he's able to understand what she's asking despite his being in quite a lot of emotional and mental shock she's off, running to help the others.

<FS3> Fischer rolls Body: Good Success.
Frowning as he sees Lleufer not being able to get the seat moved, Fischer moves in to try as well. Getting a good hold of the seat, he starts pulling, putting his full weight into the action now. Hopefully they'll get the cutter in place, but if he can help save some time, he'll do it.

Knox lifts from his kneel and looks over towards the truck. He looks towards Amos and shakes his head. "Sorry, sir. Gotta go." He doesn't wait for a reply, though. The Six pushes off the tank and grips his rifle, sprinting across the distance towards the overturned truck. …Godsdamn he's fast. "What? What's wrong?" he calls as he charges down towards the street.

"Yes, Captain!" Iphigenia raises her hand, "Everyone, to me, please!" This is for the civilians, of course, "We don't have much time. I need you to all follow me, as quickly and as quietly as you can." One little girl is crying and beside herself, so once more Iphigenia finds herself with a child lifted up onto her hip. Her other hand strays her sidearm and rests there. "If you older children and adults can each carry one of the younger children, we should have an easier time of it."

Kostas spends 1 luck points on RAWR STRENGTH TO HELP PREGNANT LADY.
<FS3> Kostas rolls Body: Failure. (Raised to success)
"Aye, Cap'n" Kostas bellows out. Trusting that Knox and the cutters will soon arrive, she hops into the truck, theyv'e got Mallas as lookout after all. "Well, lesse if we can make it easier for him." She looks to the pregnant woman. "We try ta get ya outta here, sweets. You bein' brave. You an' the little one hang tight now. 'r…loose. Ya know what I mean." She grimaces. and then she too will give a tug to make space.

Ynyr tried but he was shot more than once in the chest not too long ago and while healed enough to be cleared by medical? Yeah no, Lleu's not got his full strength back. He tries to keep the woman calm though she'd doing real well, "Try to take slow, deep breathes, ma'am. What's your name? I'm Sergeant Ynyr." Fischer's effort looks promising, Kostas moving in to try and assist. Lleu tilts his head to listen to orders and updates coming in over his earbud. Crap, she's still wedged in. There's Knox's voice coming up, "Cooper! You are stronger. Rip this front seat out for us! Mind her leg's jammed under there." He gives the skinjob a look, hopeful.

Amos starts glancing about for things to form barricades, desks, tables, filling cabinates, anything. Then, perhaps somewhat belatedly he glances to the armour and the covered gear strapped to it's sides. "Private!" he calls to the TC, "give me the thirty second rundown on the equipment you're carrying. Start with things that'll be useful for defending this place against those Centurions."

Mallas hears the Old Man yelling about company coming and looks around. Not seeing any right in front of him, the Private guesses they're coming from somewhere ahead, the direction the convoy used to be heading, and starts the hunt for a good firing position. Eventually Mallas settles on the crumbled corner of one of the buildings they sheltered in. He readies the LMG, then goes to work shifting rubble and stacking up a parapet for himself. Every few seconds he's pausing to look around, expecting to see company coming.

Fischer lets out a bit of a growl as he sees them not being able to get the seat out of there. Looking to the woman as he hears Lleufer's words to her, he decides to speak as well. "And I'm Ed." Giving the name of the costal village here on Picon where he grew up as well. Nodding a bit at Lleufer's call to Knox now, but he doesn't say anything else, just alternating between watching their surroundings and the woman in the vehicle.

The herd of civilians is surprisingly mindful of Gen, though some have to opt to assist the injured rather than pick up a child. Still, they are slower than they should be and as they move in an awkward flock toward the strip mall, it may become apparent that they may not make it. Gen's efforts to try and find a sturdy enough building seem to be frustratingly without success.

Brina runs up to one of the first groups of Marines she happens upon, that being where they are trying to help the poor trapped woman. "I don't know if you heard but we got inbound," she whispers into someone's ear so not to panic the poor woman. "Get her out now if you can." Otherwise they might have to leave her there, trapped and hurt which is not something she'll be able to live with if it happens.

The Tank Commander is yelling at the guys in the tank. He can't be more than nineteen. But when he comes back out he looks at Amos. "We picked up every piece of heavy gear we could find, sir!" He twists around and lifts the cover over the rear. "We got body armor, Hornets, Tridents, a couple of LMGs, plenty of smoke grenades, some frags, a few mines…" Then he looks back to Amos. "And we've also got a fifty on this, plus a coax seven six two plus the thirty. Motor runs fine, sir. We're a big-ass bunker, Captain." And one giant target.

Kostas steps aside once Knox gets there—it's a crowded space already, and he might need more room to work. She looks up to Brina and nods, grimly, and then taps her wrist lightly, if she can catch his eyes, signalling 5. "Thanks, Lance Corporal," she says softly. She waits, and counts, and watches the sky, ready to take the responsibility for calling that order, when and if the time comes.

The call of 'private' from Amos has Mallas looking at the Captain expectantly, but it turns out it's the vehicle commander he means. This does draw Mallas' attention to the conversation going on near the surviving Rapier though, and he yells over towards Amos. "Hey Captain!" His helmeted head jerks towards where the turret from the first Rapier, blown off, is now lying in the road. "I think the .50 cal on that thing might still work."

Amos glances over the equipment as it's uncovered the replies quickly "get to laying those mines on their approach, and make sure everyone has at least one frag." He starts to turn to Mallas then double takes and turns back. "You have hornets and you didn't shout out when we had raiders blowing your mates up?" He sounds incredulus, and a little pissed, but there's not time for follow up now and he just points to the mines, "get on it Private." The he turns to Mallas, "check it out, let me know."

Knox trips over a chunk of asphalt and skids across his side, landing heavily. "Frak." He gets up quickly, though, and moves to the truck. He looks over the situation quickly and shakes his head. "Goddamnit." He pulls his gloves tighter and grits his teeth. "Pay attention. You all can do this, too. Mind over matter, Marines." He reaches into the passenger side at a kneel and wiggles the seat. There's a quick assesment and he nods. He grips the eat by the shoulder, tugs it to the limit, tightens his hold and growls. Metal supports groan and after a few seconds the seat snaps out and he tumbles backwards. Holding the seat in the air, he tosses it aside and looks down inside. "Well her damned leg is still trapped!" he says as a curse.

The woman is sufficiently terrified on that display.

There's a time for everything. Such as being shouted at, this is potentially the time for that. Also a time to put linear theory to the test, and when Knox does precisely that - and has a man vs machine moment - Nadir is near enough at hand to see the results and to spare a few seconds of precious processing time to blink at the Sergeant for a silent moment before she remembers that Ynyr had bellowed 'Medic' in that parade ground style bellow that had jolted her from helping sort people to hustling over here, at full speed, only to see that the civilian they are trying to retrieve is still not in a retrievable state. "Lets not make her hysterical, shall we, gentlemen?" she asks, suggests even, in a clear but rather carrying tone of voice. She eases to the side, pointedly not getting in the way at present, "Lets not have to amputate either. Options?"

Okay. Even Brina's a little taken aback by Knox's display and for about seven seconds all she can do is gawk. She is shaken out of her stupor, however, when she sees the lady's still trapped. "Frak. Guys…" A pointed look is given to her watch before she steps around the ruined vehicle, her eyes scanning out from where the enemy might be coming in from. Not a medic or some super-duper strong guy (tm), she'll do what she does best instead, that being taking up a point from which she can keep an eye out.

Lleufer hates like hell to say it but he glances at his watch and frowns at Samtara, "We have like two minutes TOPS to get her out or leave her, Doc." He doesn't say it out loud, but in the latter case, a bullet to the poor gal's head might be the more humane. Lleu licks his lips, suddenly looking a little sick to his stomach at a sudden memory.

"Aye aye!" Mallas yells back to Amos, his tone unenthusiastic. He just about had the firing position ready and now it's off to something else. The Private hoists his own light machinegun and sets off towards the shattered Rapier turret, squinting at the big .50 cal heavy machingeun that's still attached to the AA mount on top. When he gets there Mallas sets his own weapon down and starts gathering the fallen belts of .50 ammunition, loading the HMG and then stacking the rest of the ammo nearby. The crowd around the flipped vehicle, and the sound of Knox ripping the seat out of it with his bare hands, gets a blank stare from Mallas. He can't really see what happened, but everyone else seems to be freaking out. What the frak?

"Doctor," Kostas replies, sotta voce to Samtara, "You ain't got much time 'r choices." She glances towards the cluster, and catching Lleufer's look, tells him softly. "Ynyr. If we do need ta leave…I got it."

There's a brief look of respect as Fischer sees Knox tearing out the seat, before he looks around again as he hears what's being said. Not having too much of an idea on how to get this done, he listens quietly for now, taking a few deep breaths.

Ynyr pulls himself together enough to nod to Kostas. He steps over to lend Knox a hand to get back up, slaps his other hand on Cooper's shoulder, "Thanks. Appreciate that." And it gets Lleufer out of the way for a breath of air while Dr. Nadir accesses.

"Sgt. knox, I need you in here to try to bend the metal enough to get her leg free, please," Nadir asks after she's leaned into the vehicle, set eyes upon the trapped woman and, in the doing, gets a visual on the general over all health of the woman in question. "Ma'am, I'm Dr. Nadir and we're going to try to get you out of this vehicle. I need you to hold on to every last ounce of calm that you have on hand and, for the moment, do try to refrain from hysterics or screaming. It disturbs my calm, the screaming that is, if you please," and she's leaning back and looking around the gathered group. "If the good sergeant can bend the metal enough to get her free we need to extract her, I'll handle the post-extraction care as we go. IF we can not extract her, I'm going to amputate her leg. IF we go that route, I'll need to cauterize her leg as soon as the limb is severed or she runs the risk of bleeding to death in the process. We will not," she glances to Kostas, "be taking care of this situation in any other matter. If I may suggest," she glances from rank pins to rank pins, "pulling everyone who isn't needed on this particular obstacle away and shifting focus to rounding up the remaining civilians and getting ready to be anywhere else but here. Sitting ducks, I believe someone said?"

In the distance, there is a familiar sound. The echo of Centurions, dozens of them, are getting closer. Time is getting very short.

Hard eyes stare at Nadir. "With respect, Doc, if we need to we will. I'll give ya as much time as I can." She glances up to Knox, meaningfully, as in…prepare to bodily assist when time is called, if necessary. She looks to the others. "Make a hole, Marines."

With a grit of teeth, O'Connell looks at the doctor, her nose wrinkling. The approaching Centurion can be heard by her and most likely the others. "I think this is not the time to have a debate on ethics," she announces. "Hurry up and do something, godsdammit!"

Amos leaves the tank crew to deal with the mines as ordered, then glances back to the situation with the pregnant woman as he hears that tell-tale sound. Spotting Kostas' look to Sam he can make a fair guess at the ongoing conversation but since teh Ensign seems tohave it in hand he leaves it for now. Turning to Mallas instead, "How's it looking private? Useable?" Then back to the vehicle, and calls, "anyone not actively involved in the extraction, find yourself a position and prepare to take incoming fire." That's mostly to Brina, Fischer and Lleufer as far as he can see but works for anyone else who might be wondering what to do right now.

For now, he's watching with the rifle - better with that, though he'll take up the turret if need be. At that order, Jax is heading for somewhere to hole up - to go unseen, at least for a little.

Standing by the wrecked Rapier turret Mallas is fiddling with the .50 cal, trying to make sure it's not going to misfire in his face if he depresses the butterfly trigger. "Think so, sir," he calls back to Amos. Suddenly he's cocking his head, listening to the sound of stompy Centurion feet. Lots and lots of them. Now the Private is torn, looking back and forth between the unmanned HMG and his own light machinegun. That .50 cal can do a lot of damage, but it's not a weapon he's fired very often.

<FS3> Knox rolls Body +3: Success.
Knox knows what he has to do. The Six looks over his shoulder at the sound of approaching Centurions and shakes his head. "Frakking hell. This detail sucks." He pulls up his gloves once more and crawl inside the overturned truck. "Ma'am, this might hurt like hell." He reaches over and grips the two pieces of metal. He takes a heaved breath and clamps his jaw shut. As he maneuvers, his rifle clangs against the interior. And then.. he works. The metal groans, but doesn't give much. Her shout? Knox starts putting it all in and letting off a low roar as he tries to peel it apart. The metal starts to give.. but one section is wedged to tightly into another. "GodsDAMNIT." He takes a fist and beats the metal, some of it bending. There's another effort but it yields no results before he climbs back out. "No-Go!" He steps away while something come in on his radio listening while he shakes his hand.

Kostas mutters something under her breath, barely audible, though the name of Hestia might be caught. "You kin do it, Doc," she says softly, though her face is a steel mask. It's hard to know which is the "real" Marine at the moment, if one doesn't know her well. "I know you can. You gonna do this an' then we gonna run like hell." But there's still the clock ticking down, as surely as the Centurions on the march.

Fischer nods a bit as he hears Amos's words, moving to get into a position to be able to deal with the incoming enemies now. Muttering something under his breath as he readies his rifle again now.

With the feet getting closer there's little time to do any more prep so Amos moves quickly towards Mallas, "go find yourself and you gun some cover private. I've a bit of experience on these beasts." As he passes Kostas he gives her a brief nod though, one which says 'i've got your back' if interpreted correctly. That done he offers up a quick prayer to Athena and gets a grip on the HMG, readying it to fire as soon as centurions are spotted.

Lleufer hears the order going out to prepare for incoming fire. He's been keeping half an eye on cover and road block preparations, the civies heading off with escort to the south to another position while the Marines dig in as they are able to prepare holding actions here. "We've got incoming! Firing positions and cover!" To those who are not already hustling their asses. Lleu is /supposed/ to be protecting Dr Nadir, damn it. He scowls, hoping the vehicle will give her and her charge some cover as he goes forward to find a nice big chunk of concrete fallen into the street he can use as his firing position. With a careful check to the side and slightly back for a second covered position he can fall back to in case of grenades or the light. Ynyr checks his own grenades, then lays his rifle out for final checks and sighting in distances of points of interest in the direction of hostile approach.

Brina takes a more defensive position while waiting, dropping to a knee, her rifle lifted held in position. There's no way they're going to be able to get back to the building before they arrive, now, making being ready the most important thing. Lleufer and the others are given one quick glance for the sake of situational awareness but after that her eyes stay forward.

Iphigenia and her troup of children are still trying to find cover, and from the shouts of the marines, she knows that time is about to run out. In desparation, she looks for the nearest storefront, any means to stay out of Cylon sights.

Mallas shoots Amos an exasperated look, then acknowledges the order with a muttered "Aye aye." He grabs his light machinegun and /runs/, knowing he only has a moment to take position now. With a grunt Mallas throws himself down in the position he had been building before Amos ordered him to check that damned .50 cal. Hastily he settles the Zasta LMG on its bipod, lays out an extra mag, and then fills the remaining seconds with piling up more chunks of rubble around himself. You can never have too much cover.

And then there they are. Civies with only marginal cover out front of a strip mall across the street and here come the Centurions. One appears around the side of the far office building and immediately opens up. Rounds prang off the truck, the sound like someone beating it with hammers. Sparks fly everywhere. Then more appear. Its supposedly a whole company. The Marines are left heavily outnumbered, now behind enemy lines, with no close air support in sight. Samtara is left in the vehicle to try and amputate a leg with Marines gathered round to protect it. That tank turret, which a few operational guns, is about to be occupied. Civilians, mostly children, left to be defended. Fights On.

"Everyone out," Nadir says quietly once Knox has made the metal-groaning effort to free the trapped civilian. She glances over, links eyes with Kostas, "Move everyone back. Maybe if there's no one standing around the Raider will take aim at what is clearly abandoned vehicle. I'll handle this," said as she's shrugging out of her backpack and climbing into the remains of the truck. By now the woman in the truck is in tears, for a number of reasons, pain and fear being the top two on the list. But they're important reasons. The woman has one hand resting protective over the curve of her abdomen. "Cut him out," she says in a thready pain filled voice. "He's six months, he can survive if you cut him out now," she implores of the doctor climbing into the truck with her. Nadir shakes her head, "No, he won't, and I'm sorry ma'am, but you won't survive it either if I do that. I'm going to give you something to take the edge off of the pain, and something to bite down on, but i have to amputate your leg or you and your baby aren't going to make it with this convoy out of this city." There's a stunned moment of silent from the civilian as Nadir is pulling out the things she needs from the backpack. Tourniquet. Portable and miniature surgical saw - yay field equipment. Drugs, the good kind. Other useful and swiftly organized items, Nadir tugging on a clean set of gloves as she uses a set of shears to cut through the blood stained leg of the trousers the woman is wearing, cleans the area then doses the patient with the good meds and pauses for a bare moment to link eyes with the patient, then offers the woman a half-round of leather to bite down on, so the girl doesn't bite through her tongue at least.

"You got a minute, doc, then we pulling ya both, no matter what." Kostas says. "Sorry I can't give ya more. Gods guide yer hand." IT's all she can do, but it's something. She hops out of the back of the truck. The CMO's idea is a good one, but she's still keeping her eye on the time. She joins the nearest group of marines, dropping into position. "If th' truck get attacked, I'm going back in there to get 'em out. Until then we try ta buy 'er more tim."

And then there are the centurion. Hoping his prayer was not in vein Amos takes a fraction of a second to take a breath, then lets rip eith the HMG, calling over the coms as he does so, "Captain Arden. You're out of time. Whatever cover you can find!" He really wants a load of dead centurions, he really doesn't want a load of dead kids.

Mallas sees the first Centurion striding into view, and peers at it through his sights. But he holds his fire, waiting for a few more. Two, three, four, five … okay, yeah, that's plenty, time to shoot now! He eases onto the trigger and opens fire, traversing a hail of armor piercing bullets across the Canners.

Knox hears the pranging and ducks for cover. He moves over to a mailbox on the street and takes cover, lifting his rifle to fire.

Lleufer is down lowish, his rifle laid out on the concrete to stabilize his shots as he takes a bead on the approaching Centurions. The MP Sergeant is calm, quiet now. No more shouting, he waits for a good, clear shot as the one nearest to him comes around a bit of twisted steel girder and broken concrete. Rounds ping off of here and there, throwing up bits of cement in places. Here we go.

Fischer growls a little bit as he sees the incoming Centurions, taking aim and firing a burst at one of them now. Muttering something under his breath as he ducks back behind cover again now.

Brina sighs as they start to come into view. The first one she sees is the first one she takes aim at, her finger then squeezing the trigger so that three rounds are fired. "Gods, please let the doctor…" she starts to pray even then althought the last of her whispered plea falls silent half way through it.

He's in cover, and staying there. Not as hid as he might be. But Jax is working on aiming, slowing his breath, keeping it steady, braced to bone. Even as he realizes it's seen him, and is turning his way. Adrenaline's a tidal roar in his ear.

Once she has the children under as best of an amount of cover as she can provide them, Iphigenia turns, taking up a position that avoids exposure as much as she can and hefts the rifle into place. "Lords of Kobol," she breathes, "Hear my prayer. Artemis, protector of children, lay your grace upon these innocent lives and bring them into your protection."

<FS3> Samtara rolls Medicine: Good Success.
One minute isn't near enough to create a skin flap, tie off the arteries and major blood vessels then cut through the muscle and bone," Nadir says even as she's starting work to do exactly that, meeting the frightened/shocked eyes of the civilian before she gives a somber nod. "Now," and as the civilian closes her eyes and turns her face away, a resolute and honestly terrified stance that has a sheen of perspiration standing out on the girls forehead, fear making her hand shake where they're clamped on the remnants of the seats around which she is trapped. The first cut is clean, circumnavigating the leg in a precise and decisive cut, peeling back the outer layer of skin and clearing the way deeper into the muscle tissue that lies beneath. The bleeding is what it is, and amputations are - of necessity - bloody business. She can hear the sound of shouting, of com chatter, of bullets, but she shuts it away, focuses on here. To focus on anything other than the patient, patients, in front of her is to risk them both. Pain meds being what they are, they don't take all the pain away, not by far, and without being able to knock the woman out, she has to work fast. Her gloves are bloody at this point, a spreading pool of blood is seeping toward her knees where she's crouched on the floor before the civilian. NO time for a neat and precise job, no skin flap, no saving of the stump to be attached to a perfect artificial limb fitting. Meatball surgery is called thus because it's quick, messy, and - as her training holds - efficient.

<COMBAT> Kostas fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Kostas attacks Cent5 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Right Arm (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Kostas attacks Cent5 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Kostas attacks Cent5 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Iphigenia fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Iphigenia attacks Cent5 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Iphigenia attacks Cent5 with Rifle Ap - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Iphigenia attacks Cent5 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Cent1 attacks Jax with LMG Tripod and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas fires fullauto!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent1 with LMG AP - Moderate wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent1 with LMG AP - Moderate wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent1 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent4 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent4 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent4 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent5 with LMG AP - ARMOR on Right Hand stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent5 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Lleufer fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Cent4 with Rifle AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Cent4 with Rifle AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Cent4 with Rifle AP - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Knox fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Knox attacks Cent4 with Rifle Ap - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Knox attacks Cent4 with Rifle Ap - ARMOR on Abdomen stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Knox attacks Cent4 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Jax takes careful aim at Cent1.
<COMBAT> Cent4 attacks Lleufer with LMG Tripod - Moderate wound to Neck (Reduced by Cover) (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Samtara passes.
<COMBAT> Fischer fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Cent5 with Rifle AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Cent5 with Rifle AP - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Cent5 with Rifle AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Cent5 attacks Iphigenia with LMG Tripod and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Brina fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Brina attacks Cent1 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Brina attacks Cent1 with Rifle Ap - ARMOR on Right Leg stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Brina attacks Cent1 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos fires fullauto!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent2 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent2 with Hmg but MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent2 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent2 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent2 with Hmg - Moderate wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent3 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent3 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent3 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent3 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Cent3 attacks Mallas with LMG Tripod - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Cent2 attacks Brina with LMG Tripod and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Cent1 has been KO'd!

The Centurions appear and as soon as they do the TI-107, partially concealed in the building, makes its value known right away. Whatever that gunner has been doing for the last ten months, it was not sitting on his ass. The 30mm chain gun on the turret traverses and the rounds begin puking out at a rate of three per second. The first few miss but after that they begin finding targets. Centurions explode as they come around corners. Having dug out the ceiling overhead, the commander lets loose with his fifty and begins firing to the other end of the block and taking down a Centurion almost right away. Its a massive hail of gunfire from the armor and as the rounds pass over head of the Marines it sounds like a jet aircraft buzzing them, rustling their gear and ears with each new one put downrange. But the Centurions keep piling around the corner and firing. A company. This is going to get ugly. Possibly personal

"When the doc says done, Fishcher, you go to get the patient. Ynyr, you assigned the doc, right? You go too and shield her unless you too banged up, then you callin' the commands while I go play meatshield. Rest of us try an' keep 'em off 'em." Kostas is near breathless inbetween firing her burst, and lining up for her next target. "Yeah?"

And Frak! Lleufer misses and his one hit doesn't have enough power to get through the Centurion's armour! He begins to grimace, then is hit himself in the neck! The shock of the bullet jerks his shoulder back hard as his armour takes some of it! An involuntary sound escapes him as the Marine is hurt. And no medic available for the time being. Ynyr doesn't call out. He does what he can to tug his bandana snugger and stuff it inbetween his neck and his armour. That's all he has time to do, hunkering down to try and keep firing. Piss for luck.

Amos might have had experience with HMGs in the past, but this one kicks more than he remembers and he goes wide with more of his shots than he'd like. Still, with the rapier making it's presense felt he feels his own sense of impending doom lift a little and he smiles faintly as he depresses the triggers one more. Part of him wants to know what's going on with the women, and the kids, but he's been at this game long enough to know that the best he can do is keep his attentions forward. Over the coms he ordes, "let the tank take the clusters, concentrate fire and the flanks and stragglers."

Fischer nods a little as he hears Kostsas, before he pops up from his cover again, to fire off another round at the Centurion he was shooting at. Hopefully he'll manage to hit something now.

Samtara pulls the little paper mask that comes with her kit into position, making sure her mouth and nose are covered before she goes any further. Once more her eyes lift up, seeing the eyes of her patient squeezed shut as tight as they can be. "You're doing good, just keep breathing," she advises in a low voice. "Breathing is the ticket here," she adds, not one for small talk and knowing that nothing she says is really going to mean anything, nothing she says is really going to sink in, it's just noise. To much noise in fact. The skin is pulled away enough to give her a clear area to work with and she flips on the amputation saw and begins the messy work of cutting through the muscle tissue.

It's with no small amount of pleasure to see that Centurion go down, even if her own shot didn't seem to hurt it any, but there's no time to celebrate. One down… probably a million to go, knowing their collective luck. Another target is sought out and, like before, she prepares to send off another quick burst of weapons fire, so focused that she doesn't realize they're taking casulaties as well.

Well, so much for aiming. It's a real firefight, no time to get prissy about sniping technique. Just put the rounds on targets. But instead of a properly reverent prayer, a beat of attempting to regain proper calm, there's a sotto voce blasphemy from Jax, barely more than an exhalation. "Great Hera's big cow tits," he mutters, letting the irritation at seeing his chosen target go down under someone else's rounds flow away.

Killing Cylons is always personal for Mallas. He gets the satisfaction of seeing one of his targets topple over just before he feels the sharp pain of getting hit himself, square in the chest. Thank Gods for the vest. "Frak!" he screams fury and pain. "Corpsman!" Then he's focusing on the one Canner that is pointing it's machinegun-arm directly at him. "For Ares!" His world is reduced, for the moment, to that one silvery target in front of his barrel, and his machinegun roars.

Iphigenia conscious of the huddling children behind her, Iphigenia continues to track and fire at the Centurions, using the cadence of her prayer to keep herself calm. "Lord Ares, lift your shield in defense of your soldiers so that they may continue to honor you. Lady Athena, point your spear so that their bullets find their homes in the bodies of our enemies."

Kostas shouted something to him but Ynyr's kind of busy. He's in a good position to try and keep fire off of Dr. Nadir and otherwise that's the best Lleufer can do just now.

<COMBAT> Jax attacks Cent3 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Iphigenia fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Iphigenia attacks Cent5 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Right Arm (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Iphigenia attacks Cent5 with Rifle Ap - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Iphigenia attacks Cent5 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Left Hand (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Knox fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Knox attacks Cent4 with Rifle Ap - Moderate wound to Right Leg (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Knox attacks Cent4 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Knox attacks Cent4 with Rifle Ap - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Brina fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Brina attacks Cent2 with Rifle Ap - Moderate wound to Right Leg (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Brina attacks Cent2 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Brina attacks Cent2 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Kostas fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Kostas attacks Cent4 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Kostas attacks Cent4 with Rifle Ap - ARMOR on Head stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Kostas attacks Cent4 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Fischer fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Cent5 with Rifle AP - Light wound to Right Hand (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Cent5 with Rifle AP - Light wound to Right Arm (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Cent5 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Left Arm (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Cent5 attacks Lleufer with LMG Tripod and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Cent4 attacks Jax with LMG Tripod and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Samtara passes.
<COMBAT> Mallas fires fullauto!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP but MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP - Moderate wound to Right Hand (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP - Light wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP - Moderate wound to Right Hand (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Lleufer fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Cent4 with Rifle AP - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Cent4 with Rifle AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Cent4 with Rifle AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos fires fullauto!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent2 with Hmg - Moderate wound to Head (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent2 with Hmg but MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent2 with Hmg - Serious wound to Head (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent2 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent2 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent3 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent3 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent3 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent3 with Hmg - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Cent6 attacks Amos with LMG Tripod and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Cent3 attacks Knox with LMG Tripod - Light wound to Right Arm (Reduced by Cover).
<COMBAT> Cent2 attacks Mallas with LMG Tripod and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Cent7 has joined the combat as a Soldier on team 2. (Knox)
<COMBAT> Cent8 has joined the combat as a Soldier on team 2. (Knox)
<COMBAT> Cent9 has joined the combat as a Soldier on team 2. (Knox)
<COMBAT> Kostas fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Kostas attacks Cent4 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Kostas attacks Cent4 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Kostas attacks Cent4 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Brina tries to attack but has no target!
<COMBAT> Mallas fires fullauto!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP - ARMOR on Abdomen stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP - Moderate wound to Right Arm (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Jax attacks Cent3 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Fischer tries to attack but has no target!
<COMBAT> Samtara passes.
<COMBAT> Lleufer fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Cent4 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Cent4 with Rifle AP - Light wound to Right Arm (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Cent4 with Rifle AP - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Knox fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Knox attacks Cent4 with Rifle Ap - ARMOR on Abdomen stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Knox attacks Cent4 with Rifle Ap - ARMOR on Right Hand stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Knox attacks Cent4 with Rifle Ap - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Iphigenia tries to attack but has no target!
<COMBAT> Cent7 passes.
<COMBAT> Cent6 attacks Amos with LMG Tripod and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Cent4 attacks Jax with LMG Tripod - Serious wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Cent3 attacks Knox with LMG Tripod and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Cent9 passes.
<COMBAT> Cent8 passes.
<COMBAT> Amos fires fullauto!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent3 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent3 with Hmg - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent3 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent3 with Hmg but MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent3 with Hmg - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent3 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent3 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent3 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent3 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent3 with Hmg and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Cent2 has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Cent5 has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Cent4 has been KO'd!

They just keep coming. With the TI-107 firing like it is, its chewing the Centurions apart down at the other end of the block. That vehicle is the -only- thing keeping the Marines from getting immediately outflanked and ripped apart. To look back at the office building, sheets of paper are burning on the ground around it. The barrel of the fifty is glowing orange and illuminating the commanders angered face. The gunner is still firing, too. The rounds just pour down a merciless rate of fire to try and protect the truck. The driver is trying to shove his way out of the hatch to get at his own gun but not having much luck. But the army of metal just keeps coming. Overhead, between the resounding pounding of gunfire, Viper engines can be heard distinctly. To look up one might see that Raider blow apart in a sheet of flame and smoke and beginning a spiral towards the eastern suburbs. But from the distant mountain ridges, smoke trails appear and fire up into the clouds. Enemy SAMs are active. And they are heading this way.

Mallas's Zasta spits a long stream of steel-cored bullets into the Centurion he's on, hits sparking off the Canner's armor as he riddles it with bullets. The machinegunner grimaces indignantly as the Centurion refuses to fall over, despite being shot full of holes. With a wordless growl of frustration he fires another burst, traversing off the all-but destroyed Centurion to spread the love to some of his buddies too.

Amos can feel the air sing around him as bullets fly past that were obviously aimed his way. Hearing a call for a corpsman he asks over comms, "Ensign, what is Captain Nadir's status?" He hears the sounds of combat overhead and then calls out, sounding both pleased and a little relieved "looks like the air-jocks have decided to join the party. Look sharp lads, can't have them claimng all the credit can we." That done, he swings the barrel of the HMG around a bit and opens up on a fresh set of targets, there's plenty to choose from after all.

That will teach him to blaspheme. IT really will. If he lives and escapes this, there will be oil and incense burned before the Queen's altar, maybe even prostrations, all for penance. Because an instant after it leaves his lips, there's the terrible wet *thwack* of a round finding a space in armor and lodging in him. There's that pause, less than a breath, where the pain hasn't really hit, and Jax yells, "I'm hit!" It doesn't stop him from turning the rifle to something less precise and more lethal, and firing again, though. HE hasn't landed a round yet. And then, almost whimiscally, he says in a voice gone shaky, "Great Queen, I'm sorry. I'll never say that about you again. Please, let me get through this, and I'll sacrifice for you. I promise. I know I'm not one of your devotees, but I swear that'll change. Just get us out of here."

"We call on you to guard us in the name of Zeus, the Heavenly Father and bringer of Thunder, that we may continue to fight under your skies." Iphigenia has become a better shot since the last time she was in a firefight. Now with all these children, she has more to lose.

Nadir tightens the tourniquet as she goes, and doing so becomes a measure of experience versus reality, blood flow versus range of motion. At some point the woman begins making muffled noises, biting down onto that bit of leather that Nadir had given her to bite down onto. Working as swiftly as she can, while trying her level best to avoid making a bloody butcher job of this, literally, Nadir dimly hears the call out for corpsman over the comm, but with the leg laid bare and bloody, the job only half done, she can't stop now.

This is a good time to take cover and Brina does so, ducking behind some torn up asphalt that has some how been pushed up, making it a rather good barrier. Rising up, she angels her weapon at two of the walking tin cans and fires full auto only to then try and duck down again before she can be hit.

Coop fires a burst into the Centurion and watches with satisfaction as it goes down. The look on his face is pure sneer. But hearing the roar overhead, he listens to the radio as he looks skyward towards the potential airedales. A round then catches him on the arm and he shakes it off. There's a glance to the blood and he lifts the rifle again and fires in the direction of more incoming.

-Usually- Lleufer's shots rip'm up nicely but just now they seem to be pinging off of Centurion armour a good deal more than he likes. Until finally, he lands a few solid hits! Yes! But, there are /so/ many of them. He dares a glance back at their TI-107 heating things up and is one man grateful to have the armour support. Damned shame they lost the other right off, and her crew. Ynyr things his mouth, trying not to think about how man Centurions there are and what else is closing in on their position. And such thin air support. No, stay focused on popping these mother frakkers and concerve his ammo. They might be here a while. Vipers are a good sound to hear! But damn, he also hears another of their unit calling out being hit.

"It's gettin' hot out here!" Kostas shouts. She could be just shouting in general but it might be with a certain medical someone in mind. "Give the shout when you ready!" Bullets fly, and the ensign takes cover, then popping up to fire another burst at the first centurion in her sights. "Hestia guide her hand and ours, that we get another little one safe and sound in her time." Odd prayer for a butchy marine, but there you go. "Go down, ya tin shits!"

Frowning as he sees the still incoming Centurions, Fischer fires off another shot, then ducks back behind his cover now. "Keep me safe, my dearest ones.." he mutters to himself, one hand very briefly touching the part of his armor he has those photos hidden behind, before he readies himself once more.

<COMBAT> Iphigenia fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Iphigenia attacks Cent3 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Iphigenia attacks Cent3 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Iphigenia attacks Cent3 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Right Hand (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Amos fires fullauto!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent8 with Hmg but MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent8 with Hmg - Light wound to Right Hand (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent8 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent8 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent8 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent9 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent9 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent9 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent9 with Hmg - Serious wound to Head (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Mallas fires fullauto!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP - Moderate wound to Neck (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP - Serious wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent3 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent8 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent8 with LMG AP - Light wound to Right Hand (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent8 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent9 with LMG AP - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent9 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Lleufer fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Cent7 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Left Hand.
<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Cent7 with Rifle AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Cent7 with Rifle AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Samtara passes.
<COMBAT> Kostas fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Kostas attacks Cent8 with Rifle Ap - ARMOR on Left Hand stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Kostas attacks Cent8 with Rifle Ap - Moderate wound to Neck (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Kostas attacks Cent8 with Rifle Ap - ARMOR on Left Hand stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Fischer fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Cent8 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Cent8 with Rifle AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Cent8 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Right Hand (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Cent6 attacks Brina with LMG Tripod - Light wound to Right Leg (Reduced by Cover).
<COMBAT> Jax fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Jax attacks Cent6 with Rifle Ap - ARMOR on Neck stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Jax attacks Cent6 with Rifle Ap - ARMOR on Left Arm stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Jax attacks Cent6 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Right Hand (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Cent7 attacks Lleufer with LMG Tripod - COVER stops the attack.
<COMBAT> Cent3 attacks Iphigenia with LMG Tripod and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Cent8 attacks Brina with LMG Tripod and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Brina fires fullauto!
<COMBAT> Brina attacks Cent3 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Left Hand (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Brina attacks Cent3 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Brina attacks Cent3 with Rifle Ap - Serious wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Brina attacks Cent3 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Brina attacks Cent3 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Left Hand (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Brina attacks Cent6 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Brina attacks Cent6 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Brina attacks Cent6 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Brina attacks Cent6 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Knox fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Knox attacks Cent9 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Knox attacks Cent9 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Knox attacks Cent9 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Left Hand (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Cent9 attacks Brina with LMG Tripod - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Cover) (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Cent3 has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Cent6 has been KO'd!

The Centurions seem to be tapering off as if the majority of the company has been reduced. Given the rate of fire from the Marines and the 107, that's not a surprise. The Rapier keeps up it's relentless rate of fire and pounding the Centurions attempting to flank. But suddenly, the targets seem to run out at the other end of the block. But one Centurion in front of the Marines drops to a knee and wields a large tube weapon and aims it at the 107. Its a very fast maneuver, but from a machine? Its probably not a surprise. Its only on the knee a second before the rocket fires from the tube. At the same moment, the tank commander see's it and turns his fifty, firing the whole time but he won't reach it in time. The turret is traversing, but its too slow to stop the missile.

The wound to Brie's leg hurts like a mother frakker but isn't serious. The chest wound, however, is not as non-serious as the first and, with a wheezing gasp, she staggers and semi-slouches against the chunk of black top. Gods… why do they always aim for the fraking chest? Gritting her teeth, she pops off more rounds, opting to aim for a single target this time.

Bullets buzz and crack over Mallas' head in both directions as he hunkers down behind his rubble barricade and pours fire into the stream of silver robots down the street. He's suddenly seeing a lot less of them, which is good. But then there's the one that has some diferent weapon in hand. Is that a …? That's bad. Mallas settles his aim onto the rocket-Centurion and opens up, yelling a warning. "ROCKET!"

Now it hurts. Now it really hurts. But Jax isn't calling for a medic, at the moment. He's firing at the tincan with the rocket, shaking a little already, but still in the fight. The earlier humor's gone, his jaw's set, and there are prayers, formal as those he's uttered in the temples. Beseeching Ares and Athena for aid.

Amos is starting to think that they might just be able to breathe again as the number of centurions starts to slow. He knows he's landing hits now, good hits in some cases and he's happy enough to continue firing at them until they fall. Or would be until he hears Mallas's call. "Frak!" he exclaims loudly, although probably far enough away from the children that they won't learn bad habits. Swinging the .50 round as he fires he's too late to stop the first rocket but he's going to do his damnest to stop it firing any more after wards.

Gods Frak it! That's the very one Lleufer's been trying to hit and now it whips out this missle tube? Piss! As yet, the Sergeant is too busy to take note of who among them is wounded aside from a quick look over his should to check on Dr Nadir, that she's all right and still working. Ynyr shouts back, "Better hurry the FRAK UP, Doc!" Damn, that woman's slow. How long does it take to chop off a poor woman's leg? If Lleu was doing it, about one stroke. Bam, done, thank ye ma'am. He's got no time to be cussing Samtara as Lleufer does his utmost best to shoot that piece of shit canner with the missle - but he's not fast enough to stop it being launched at their TI-107! Things are very hot, bullets wizzing everywhere. The noise is constant.

Knox watches the rocket get fired while something comes acros the radio. He drops the rifle to his chest and takes cover behind the mailbox. Switching over to the local net, he broadcasts for all to hear, "Captain, air units report disengagement of ground forces to the west. They're moving east." Towards them. "Air defenses systems are shifting as well, sir."

A glance is sent up and thankfully, mercifully, the civilian - whose name she hasn't learned yet - has passed out at this point. A blessing, for those who have a religious persuasion on mind set, but it does mean that she can work with a measure certainty that the woman is not going to be screaming her head off when she cuts through the bone. Not that all of this, to this point, hasn't hurt like nothing else. Not even child birth compares to bone pain, that is - having a bone cut with a mini saw. The sound of which creates a unpleasant whine as the edge starts to slice through the bone, bits of bone clouding upward, a fine mist of debris and human detrius spraying out and around as Nadir saws through as quickly and as cleanly as possible. "I need to cauterize this," she speaks into the comm, hoping that someone who isn't currently pinned down can hear her and, in the doing, can suggest something that'll do the trick. "Portable torch, hot metal, anything."

Once the centurions focused on her are out of the way, Iphigenia shifts to target another. Her expression is calm, even if inside she is panicked and continues to pray aloud.

Kostas grunts in sympathy to Ynyr. She holds up two fingers, silently and briefly. Just a couple of more firing bursts and they'll probably have to move her ready or not. "We don't have nothin' like that right now, doc. Tie it th' fuck off and then we haul ass. It all we can do!" she shifts to one finger to Lleufer and Fischer. Guess they're going in next round. She pops up to shoot. "For the Irregulars!" she shouts, in a battle cry, and fires.

Taking a few very deep breaths, before he fires off his burst again, Fischer only waits a few moments from that point until he ducks back down again behind the cover.

<COMBAT> Jax attacks Cent7 with Rifle Ap - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Iphigenia attacks Cent9 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Cent8 attacks Fischer with LMG Tripod and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Lleufer fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Cent7 with Rifle AP - Serious wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Cent7 with Rifle AP - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Cent7 with Rifle AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Kostas fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Kostas attacks Cent8 with Rifle Ap - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Kostas attacks Cent8 with Rifle Ap - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Kostas attacks Cent8 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Head (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Cent9 attacks Brina with LMG Tripod - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Brina fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Brina attacks Cent8 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Brina attacks Cent8 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Brina attacks Cent8 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos fires fullauto!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent7 with Hmg - Light wound to Right Hand (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent7 with Hmg - Moderate wound to Right Leg (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent7 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent7 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent7 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent7 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent7 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent7 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent7 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Amos attacks Cent7 with Hmg and MISSES!
<COMBAT> 107 passes.
<COMBAT> Samtara passes.
<COMBAT> Mallas fires fullauto!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent7 with LMG AP - Light wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent7 with LMG AP - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent7 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent7 with LMG AP - Light wound to Left Leg (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent7 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent7 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent7 with LMG AP - Light wound to Right Arm (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent7 with LMG AP - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent7 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Mallas attacks Cent7 with LMG AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Knox passes.
<COMBAT> Fischer fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Cent8 with Rifle AP - ARMOR on Head stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Cent8 with Rifle AP - Serious wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Cent8 with Rifle AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Cent7 uses a Missile HE!
<COMBAT>
<COMBAT> EXPLOSION! Close To Aa Battery-5058q - Light wound to Body (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Aa Battery-5058q - ARMOR on Body stops the attack!
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Aa Battery-5058q - ARMOR on Body stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Aa Battery-5058q has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> 107 has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Cent7 has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Cent8 has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Cent9 has been KO'd!

The rocket streaks in and the tank commander drops straight down into the hatch, pulling it down with the weight of his body. It explodes against the side of the vehicle in a huge puff of smoke, starting a small fire in the papers around it. The explosion, however, shreds a few of the Marine drivers and kills three of them instantly in the flying shrapnel. When the smoke clears, the tank tread has been knocked right off the drive wheel and has rendered it immobile. But out in the field, except for a few stray rounds firing off with dying Centurions, the battlefield grows quiet. There are no sounds of the Vipers overhead anymore. Everything comes more in to focus around them as the muffled sound in their ears begins to return towards normal. Around them, snow begins to fall in light flakes. there's a clean beauty to the white spots that swirl as the wind picks up. The dry air gets beneath clothing and hits the skin with a short bite that runs deep to the base of the spine.
Looking around, a good chuck of their vehicles are completely inoperable. With air defenses that thick and only getting thicker, there is no hope of an air evac. Centurions are closing in from the west. There is simply no way to move all these people except by foot and half of the cargo wouldn't survive the trip — most of them the kids. this small, bad company of Marines, is left a few miles east of downtown with a limited supply of ammo, no mobility, innocents to protect, and radioactive snow falling. This is probably the worst place to be for two hundred miles, if even on the whole planet and the Marines of Charlie Company are stuck here like chess pieces deployed on an invisible chessboard.

Brina swallows hard as she turns around, her arms lifted to wrap around her chest to try and hide that wound for now. Forcing a smile, she hobbles over towards Lleufer but that smile, fake as it was, falls away when she looks at him and then the others. "I got shot again," she whispers. It is like she's telling the Sergeant a little secret.

"Copy," Amos replies to Knox as he keeps firing, "ETA?" That's about all he needs to know right now, just how screwed they are, other than 'very'. He keeps his eyes, and gun barrel, trained on the direction the centurions had been coming from, then calls out over comms, "all stations, sit reps please."

Mallas peppers the Cent with the rocket launcher even as the first missile leaves the tube and lances towards their guardian Rapier. He can see a lot of his own rounds striking home, but the angle is bad and most of them glance off the Cylon's armor. Mallas flinches involuntarily when the rocket's warhead detonates behind him someplace, but he's too busy trying to find a new target to look to see who got it. It wasn't him. This time. He sweeps for more targets, not coming off sight until a few seconds pass without any in view. Then Mallas pokes his head up to see who's still left. "What the frak?! Did the medic buy it already!?" He shouts, going for his own personal aid kit. "Frakkit…"

Knox glances around the mailbox towards the Centurions laying in the street and slowly rises. Still broadcasting on the unit net, "No way to tell, sir. To get over those mountains? At least eight hours. Maybe ten, twelve before we hit contact. That's assuming we killed all of them in town, sir." He shoulders his rifle and can't bring himself to look at that truck or what's inside. He just walks back towards the turret and Amos looking a bit sullen.

Lleufer turns where he's hunched as the firing dies down. He glances up at Brina and reaches and arm up to grab her, "Frak'n get down, O'Connell!" What the hell's wrong with her? "Keep your ass down behind cover." He's hit himself though not bad, not bad at all. The bleeding at his nexk stopped. Lleu backs away and starts to look around, "Sing out if you are hit. Doc, you better be frak'n done and stop screw'n around back there!" That's for Samtara and Ynyr doesn't give a shit if he pisses her off, taking so long. The Marine goes back to where he sees Jax laying there to see if he can give his fellow Marine some first aid to slow bleeding, "Where else you hit, Jax?"

Iphigenia puts her rifle muzzle upward and triggers her radio. "This is Captain Arden. The children are with me. Are we clear? Should I move them? We were unable to get to the strip mall."
Long distance to Knox: Amos nods, and just has a few dots in repair and would thus have thrown them on if needed.

Nadir checks the tourniquet again, having severed the leg, the muscles around, the loss of blood is measured not in drops of blood but in the quantity all over the floor of the vehicle, both seeping from the severed limb and from the stump that used to be attached to the severed limb. She swaps the stump as swiftly as she can, affixes the bandage in place, which is almost immediately gets soaked through. There's just nothing to cauterize with inside the vehicle. "Done," she declares into the comm, "I need to extract her from this vehicle," she says almost immediately on the heels of Ynyr's statement.

"We have some injured, but we all up, some in bad shape though, since the Doc was busy elsewhere. Doc's finishin' up, we need somethin' to cauterize." There's a pause as Kos adds, "You think we can get naval support 'r somethin' from th' Orion, Sir? If we got some more companies headed our way, could use 'em lightened up." She spits, off to the side. "Where should we take the civvie to, Sir? I got Ynyr and Fisher waiting on standby ta help move her, but probably she shouldn't be out here."

Jax's breath is coming in slow shudders, and he's pale, having rolled up on to his unwounded side from the prone firing position. "Just the one," he says, lips numb. "But I think that was enough." And he fixes Lleufer with a cloudy gray stare and says, earnestly, "I'll *never* blaspheme again." Solemn as a schoolchild….and how long will that last? Marines being Marines.

Having fired his last few shots, Fischer lets out a bit of a breath again now. "Still…" he mutters to himself, keeping silent as he listens to what's being said. Waiting a bit as he hears no more sounds of huge metal creatures advancing, he looks up from his cover, looking out there for few moments before he hears the doctor's words, moving in the direction of the vehicle to help with the extraction now.

Brina's in shock so really isn't thinking straight but she does comply and sits behind the protective covering near her. "I'm sorry… are you alright?" Her gaze sweeps the area, waiting. She won't bother the doctor until she's done with the patient she's already with. A slight cough brings up a faintly metallic taste to her mouth, perhaps having had something nicked or maybe she bit her tongue? She can't tell but it is not severe enough for her to worry about it. "We. Are. Sooooooooo fraked."

Amos is still largely watching down the street, but he catches sight of Knox's approach. Giving the Sergeant a brief nod he then pauses a moment to listen to Iphigenia's broadcast then replies, "Copy that Captain. We seem to be for now. Bring them back here for now until we can scout a more secure location for them." Then it's Kostas' turn, "Ensign. Get her inside and see what you can do. I'll see about the support options. Captain Nadir. We've got a load of hot gun barrels right now, will they do you?" Finally now getting a chance to turn to his JTAC he asks, "eight to twelve hours you say? Take a breather, get some water down you then send my compliments to the Saloo and see if you can sort us some additional support."

There isn't much he can do, but Ynyr's a stubborn Aerilon. No Corpsman. Lleu does what he might to try and slow bleeding but it's Jax's thigh like he first thought when he saw the blood. Noo, it's a gut shot. "Son of a bitch." Lleu breathes. His pale eyes flick to Jax's face, "Man, you lay real still. Try to breath easy. I'll drag the doc over here." Lleufer gets back to his feet, keeping low and to what cover he might to make a dash back towards Samtara's position. "What can I do? You give her to us and you go see Jax. He's hurt bad, gut shot." He can take the woman and drag her back to cover, "We need hot gun barrrels NOW! Or a fire!"

"Alright, children." Iphigenia slings her rifle onto her back, and picks up the little girl she'd carried to cover, now with widened eyes and all of her fingers crammed impossibly into her mouth. "Let's go back to the soldiers who are protecting us. Quietly, now."

Sergeant Knox waits patiently, loking to the bloody shred through the arm of his uniform with a shake of his head. He pulls a small dressing from his own kit and tightens it down over the arm before looking back up. "If its all the same, Captain, I'm alright." He glances back to Sam as she shouts for assistance, but he can't provide much. Settling his attention on the Captain, then to the mess of vehicles crashed into the building. He licks his lips and continues. "I'll get in contact for artillery but they've been busy. You want me to call for anything else? We're cut off, sir, on a priority operation." He sighs, meeting Amos' eyes. "You want me to call Shattered Castle, sir?" A Marine unit cut off and in danger of being overrun, it would cause a shitstorm to descend on Santos Ridge. But it would bring down every allied unit in the region.

"Aye, Sir," comes Kostas' voice across the radio. "Ynyr, take her over to where the rest of the civvies are, once ya do what ya can with the barrels." She turns back to the radio, and confirms to Amos, "We're moving her up to th' others. Let's group up for the moment while we got th' chance, if that's okay with ya, Sir."

Reaching where Samtara and her patient are again, Fischer steps in to hear Lleufer's question. "If we have a place to move her, I'll carry her there," he offers a bit quietly now.

Takes a few for her to get her breath but soon enough Brina's on her feet and actually remembering to keep low, her staggering pace moving her closer. She does what she can to help although there probably not a lot to do although she does pass off her rifle. Maybe the barrel's still hot.

Having tossed the bloody gloves aside, and the mask, repacked all the supplies that aren't ruined, and the inside of the remains of the vehicle is a bloody mess, Nadir has eased the woman away from where she'd been trapped and is lowering the woman in a less awkward position once everything is said and done. "Extract her from this vehicle and move her to where ever the rest of the civilians are being secured. She needs to remain in a prone position, laying down I mean, try to elevate the stump if at all possible." Then she gets a look at Ynyr's face, realizing she's literally just said the same thing that Kostas said and gives a faint head shake, logic circle. "Right. Where?" she asks, eyeing the mess outside, "Jax, I mean, where is he?" tightening the chin strap on her helmet again, that's going to leave one hell of a bruise, lets hear it for brain boxes.

Mallas's self-treatment consists of jamming a bandage under his vest where the Cylon bullet went through and creased his side. Then he call for hot gun barrels. Seriously? A quick glance confirms that all still seems clear, so Mallas clambers to his feet and moves over towards the group. He passes Lleufer working on Jax, and Brina nearby, giving the down Marine a quick look as he goes over to the vehicle where Sam has been busy. Oh look the Sister and the kids are still alive too. Hearing Kostas' orders, Mallas pulls up and waits, ready to follow behind Fischer and the wounded civvie. The LMG barrel is still plenty hot, but it won't be forever.

That look on Lleufer's face. That bad, eh? There's something almost like resignation in Jax's own, as he looks up at Lleufer. And then a flicker of wry humor. So this is it, eh? He lets Lleufer call over the medic, trying to relax.

Amos gives Knox a brief nod as he states he's fine, then takes a moment to take a deep breathe, let it out, and consider his options. "Captains Arden and Nadir, you've got care of the civilians. Ensign Kostas, get me a secure perimeter and a watch schedule. We're all going to need some sleep in the next few hours. Private," he glances over to the tank, realising he's not actually sure of the lad's name, "first off, what do they call you, second off, I want a report on the status of the Rapier and how long it'll take to fix ready to listen to in half an hour." Back to the JTAC, having thought it through a moment he purses his lips a moment. "Unless they can get us enough to enable a few raptors then there's no point calling it no. Radio through though and let them know the situation and to start prepping for when we do, becuase I get the feeling we will be, and that they'll appreciate the advanced warning."

"Yes, sir! On it." Ynyr responds over his radio to Kostas. He gives Fischer a sharp nod, "Thanks," but waits to see what Dr Nadir says before he and Fisch will move the poor gal. A slow breath to calm his temper that had heated up. Lleu points back, "Rifleman, prone and up to the left behind some rubble there. You'll see him, our side, laying on his back now, Captain." Lleu looks to Fischer to see if the other man is ready, "Let's keep her leg up." Hopefully Samtara can help Jax out here because obviously Ynyr's first aid is no match for that. When Fische is ready, they lift the unconscious woman to move her, "We need to cauterize her leg. Going to need a fire."

Kostas keeps a lookout as the unconscious woman is moved, eyes peeled for any hint of danger while the Marines are relatively out in the open. Once they're well on their way, and Amos' orders come across the radio, she responds with a quick "Aye, Sir. Fischer, you and I got the first watch, ta let our casualties rest up some," They're the only untouched ones, aside from the Captain. "I'll inform the rest of their assignments ASAP."

Knox nods to Amos and checks his rifle. He's listening while he pats over his gear. "You got it, sir," he says quietly. The JTAC walks back towards the building. The man steps off quietly, speaking into his radio. Coop is about to have a very, very busy and sleepless night. "I'll be on the third floor if anyone needs me. Or, you know, on the unit net."

With enough direction to know where it is that Jax has gone to ground, Nadir hustles her way out of the vehicle and over to where Jax has tucked himself up against a ruined building and starts to work.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License