MD #167: Fraking Intel
Fraking Intel
Summary: Last time Toby went up against an Intel officer he ended up in the brig for a week, this time he escapes with just a bloody nose
Date: 22/09/2017
Related Logs: None
Adeliza Toby 
Fitness Centre - Deck 3 - Battlestar Orion
Smelling of sweat and grease, the Fitness Center is a place where individuals can come to work out or just work off stress. The area closest to the entrance is taken up by two very large sparring pads with a pathway down the center, each pad removable to reveal a Pyramid court beneath. The walls beside the pads hold lockers for everything from pugilist sticks to boxing gloves to rubber guns, though deadly weapons are strictly prohibited in here except by authorized personnel such as on-duty Military Police. Standing goalposts for Pyramid are also kept against the wall. Past the pads are a vast number of nautilus machines as well as free weights to lift. At the back of the room are workout bikes, rowing machines, treadmills, and stairclimbers. There is an entrance to the pool at the rear as well as a locker room to the side.
09/04/2049

Liza hasn't been around for a few weeks, off learning Arpay Vessel Strategy. After the Aerilon operations, she returned to the Orion, and now she's back in her usual spot, stretching and limbering the warm muscles that she's already loosened up with a brisk jog from officer's quarters to the Fitness Centre. She's at the edge of a sparring mat, watching one of the new refugee recruits have their jab corrected by one of the training sergeants. She glances towards the door on occasion, looking for someone, but the crane of her neck and expression don't seem expectant, just curious.

Toby has been around and about, but like the rest of the Deck department he's been keeping his head down for the last week or so to try and avoid getting it bitten off by the Chief. He's changed out of his coveralls and washed the worst of the gunk and grease of himself, but by the looks of things is waiting until he's finished in the gym til he showers. Ducking through the hatch he doesn't make any kind of grand entrance, just makes his way towards the treadmills, and starting a basic set of warmup stretches when he gets there.

Since the mat looks like it's going to be taken for a little longer, and the other couple mats are also occupied, Adeliza gets up when she sees the deckie come in. She takes her time weaving around a couple of others, and then hops up on the treadmill that Toby is stretching next to. She doesn't start it, just hangs over the arm, where she rests her elbows. "Shackleton," she greets with a cheery grin. "Missed ya over on the Norton. I hear Chief's been giving everyone grief lately, and scuttlebutt is betting it's all you." The smile she gives him is pure mischief, and perhaps somewhat knowing. "For once, it's not true, huh?"

Toby is about to let rip at Adeliza for stealing his machine, officer or not, but when she doesn't start it he just gives her a sort of half-glare instead. Then, as the conversation turns to Niamh he looks her dead in the face for a moment then deliberately looks away, as if to give a silent 'frak off'. "What's it to tactical? Work's still getting done right?" He doubts this is actually a work question, but it's a reasonable deflection for limited notice. "If the brass are complaining about our work, have 'em send word to those with rank enough to deal with it." He is just a lowly Crewman after all. As for what the scutt says is the cause? Well, he doesn't even dignify that with a response.

The grin doesn't even dim as she looks at him. "Did I say anyone was complaining?" she asks, straightening up to turn a bit so that she's backwards on the treadmill and she stiff arms to raise her feet off the treadmill. "Dude, who do you think is technically in charge of all the personnel onboard? Who do you think eventually /does/ deal with it?" she grins, sets her feet back down one after the other in an almost skip, and taps her chest. "Good to see some things haven't changed. Wanna spar?" She takes a hold of the end of the arm to do a spin jump around it to the floor, and stands there looking up at him, half grinning the challenge to him.

"Not you," Toby replies deadpan, "your boss' boss maybe, but not you." Then straightening to look at her again, "and why the fraking interest anyway? What's it to you?" Whatever mood he was in when he arrived he's now possessing a definite grump, but at the offer of a spar he considers. "Sure, then after I panel beat you into the floor I might actually get some peace and quiet to get on with my own workout."

"Not me, which?" Adeliza asks lightly. "Not me complaining, or not me dealing with Personnel?" One shoulder raises as she scurries to claim one of the mats that's just clearing. "The same as anything else is to me. I listen, and chuckle to myself, and keep on going." She stops just past the centre of the mat and turns to face him, swinging her arms loosely to wait for him.

Toby swings his arms a few times as he walks steadily over to the mat Adeliza has grabbed. "Not you who is in charge," he replies as he pauses at the edge to take his shoes and socks off, "and if all you can find to chuckle about is some puerile scutt then I pity you." He pulls his hoodie off over his head to reveal regulation vests, then proceeds onto the mat, takes a stance, and readies himself to begin. "First to submission, or unconsciousness," he notes "you ready?"

"Thank the lords and ladies for that. I have told the Commander that he is not allowed to die, because I don't want to be in charge." She grins, and gives another shrug," Nah, I don't need pity. I get a kick out of how sure of themselves they are all the time, and 90 percent of the time they are wrong. And I get a kick out of knowing how wrong they are." She settles into her stance and gives a nod. "Sure. Bring it on, I haven't had a good spar since I left the Orion."

And you're an expert on knowing when people are wrong are you," retorts Toby. It's not quite a snap, but he's clearly unamused, "and you're what? Twelve? Thirteen? Can we just get this done with please? So I can get on with my own plans." He seems to make a decision then, that if he doesn't start it, everything might descend into talking, and frak that, so he steps in rapidly, aiming an uppercut at her chin.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Toby=melee Vs Adeliza=melee
< Toby: Success Adeliza: Good Success
< Net Result: Adeliza wins - Marginal Victory

"Not always. Only when I have the facts and they don't." She reaches up her right hand to tuck her hand behind her ear, undaunted by his sarcasm. "Just waiting on you, old man." As the jab comes in she sidesteps holding up her forearm to make sure she keeps the jab to the outside, and returns the favour by aiming a hook to his jaw. She's not exactly smiling anymore, but her eyes are still alight, watching him, watching the set of his jaw to see when his grumpy old man shaking a cane at her across the mat actually becomes serious.

Toby generally prefers to get the first blow in, but after catching a glancing one across his jaw he sets himself again. "Easy tiger," he quips, "if you want a good fight then it wouldn't do to wear yourself out too quickly." This time he looks to be doing exactly the same manoeuvre again, only the right turns out to be a distraction and the blow comes round from his left.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Toby=melee Vs Adeliza=melee
< Toby: Good Success Adeliza: Good Success
< Net Result: DRAW

"Hm. Tiger. I like that," Liza muses as she narrows her eyes on his attack, noting his weight on his feet and she raises her arms in a full block to hop back a space lightly, but it takes her out of her own short reach, so she doesn't have a chance to return a blow after deflecting his. She shifts a little to the left, and keeps close, but not too close, and keeps her guard up.

"You fancy having a go?" Toby asks as she steps back, "feel like joining in at all." He has a reasonable reach, and uses it to probe her defences with a few jabs that aren't actually designed to get anyway, then, when he's happy, he steps in for another blow, to the torso this time.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Toby=melee Vs Adeliza=melee
< Toby: Failure Adeliza: Success
< Net Result: Adeliza wins - Marginal Victory

The jibe is met with a bit of a smile, and Liza shifts again as he tosses out a few jabs. Then, as he steps in and tries to go for a lower blow she turns, grabbing onto his forearm as it comes in for leverage and aims a good knee towards his midsection, then continues her rotation as her foot comes down, attempting to put him down after trying to use the knee to double him over.

The blow to his midsection is enough to knock some of the air out of Toby, but doesn’t wind him entirely. He's not giving backchat for a few seconds though, no more spare oxygen. Twisting out of the attempted throw though he attempts to use a combination of their close proximity, and his probably strength advantage, to try and shove her off balance before she can get her foot planted again. Oh, and because he's him, he throws a punch to, with the arm she didn't grab.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Toby=melee Vs Adeliza=melee
< Toby: Good Success Adeliza: Good Success
< Net Result: DRAW

Liza's weight comes down a little more on her heel than she was expecting, and she has to backpedal, then let go of his arm and place one palm on the floor behind her for support as she limbos under the punch, then comes back up to his side, and tries to take advantage by stepping close to jab at the side of his ribs, then get back for a little distance to make him chase again.

Toby seeing her go down with a palm to the mat and not being able to finish it irks Toby somewhat, but not so much that he misses the opportunity to throw a quick one at her jaw as she steps into his guard. Noting her preference for defence first he too steps back, takes a more defensive guard, and challenges, "well, come on then."

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Toby=melee Vs Adeliza=melee
< Toby: Good Success Adeliza: Failure
< Net Result: Toby wins - Solid Victory

She doesn't get out of the way quite fast enough, and the connection with her jaw sends her to the mat. Adeliza rolls over and pops up with a grin. "There we go, I was wondering when you were really going to start fighting," she responds. She wiggles her lower jaw a back and forth once to set it back comfortably, knowing she'll have a bruise to explain to Petra. Or not. She shakes out her arms while still out of his reach, then lifts her guard to step back in, this time staying low against his taller frame, and bringing her feet in to play, aiming a kick outside his shins to test his reaction and how much force she'll need to budge him.

"Funny," Toby replies, having had time to catch his breath, "I was thinking the same." He doesn't move to stop her getting to her feet though, and lets her retake her stance. Must be going soft in his old age. As she comes in he steadies himself, then, seeing as she's leading with the legs, aims another right hander square at her jaw, figuring he's not putting himself off balance, and a strong enough hit might cause her difficulties.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Toby=melee Vs Adeliza=melee
< Toby: Great Success Adeliza: Failure
< Net Result: Toby wins - Crushing Victory

Adeliza was sure she had her guard up when she went for his leg, but it must have faltered. The blow comes in hard, and that guard that she just barely manages to keep up keeps her face from hitting the mat while she blinks and survival kicks in. Instead of trying to push herself back up on shaky legs, she curls and rolls away a few paces to avoid any follow up kicks that could happen, would happen if this was really in the field. She ends up coming to all fours, and this time she has to work her jaw to make sure it's still connected before she pushes herself all the way to her feet again. She blinks twice as she looks at him, focusing, and then she's ready. That's two out of three strikes.

This time, apparently, Toby isn't feeling quite as generous with letting her recover before he starts in again. Okay, so he lets her regain her feet, partially because he's wary about leading with his feet again, but then as soon as it looks like she's starting to focus he's in again with a flurry of blows aimed at head and upper torso.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Toby=melee Vs Adeliza=melee
< Toby: Good Success Adeliza: Good Success
< Net Result: Toby wins - Marginal Victory

Adeliza barely has time to focus when Toby's on her again, but she does manage to get her guard up. She can keep him away from her face at least, and maybe, after the last two hits, over protects it as she feels a jab make it through to her shoulder, the force pushing her a little sideways. She rolls with it, and then, since he's there, she stays in, and even tries to duck under his flurry of fists and take the fight to his midsection.

Toby grumbles slightly as he takes a few blows to his middle, but it's not yet enough to make him lose focus and back away. Since they're still relatively close he has to resist the urge to finish it off with an Antioch Kiss, but so far he's managing. Seeing as punches seem to be working for him right now he sticks to that, mixing up left and right a bit, even though there is definitely more power to his right.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Toby=melee Vs Adeliza=melee
< Toby: Great Success Adeliza: Good Success
< Net Result: Toby wins - Marginal Victory

Getting more blows than she's giving, Adeliza decides that she's not going to be able to get him to submit or knock him unconscious where she is, now, so she manages to disengage, taking a glancing blow in her ribs as she does. She works her way to his left, avoiding the stronger right side and narrows her eyes to think like him, and what he's taught her.

Toby is, to be fair, quite happy with the way this fight is going. He might not have the same stamina he used to, but he's still landing enough that he's not particularly worried that this is going to be a long one. He takes an opportunistic swipe with his left as she disengages, although it's more to keep her on her toes then actually do any serious damage. As she shifts left he does too, although he also takes a slight step backwards do he can avoid having to pivot on the spot. "Need a breather?" he asks almost casually, like he's going to back up a few more paces, but instead he just steps in once more, slides his foot to try and trip her left, then throws another right hander to her head.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Toby=melee Vs Adeliza=melee
< Toby: Good Success Adeliza: Good Success
< Net Result: Adeliza wins - Marginal Victory

Every time he talks he steps in, so Adeliza is already evading when he comes. Decades of reflexes for keeping her feet on the Pyramid Court keep from getting her feet tangled on his and she ducks the aim for her face and pivots into the jab she aims at his nose. She gives a little yelp of surprise at the pain to her knuckles and puts up her left arm to guard as she shakes out her right hand.

There is a definite crunch as Adeliza's blow hits him square in the face, a quick touch though reassures him that his nose is probably not broken, although it does appear to be bleeding from one side. "Nice," he admits as he takes a step back to reassess, then narrows his eyes and tries something different. It's his punches that are the most dangerous, but that doesn't mean he can't kick like a mule when sometimes, and that's what he aims for this time, a solid blow to her hip to put her onto the mat again.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Toby=melee Vs Adeliza=melee
< Toby: Good Success Adeliza: Good Success
< Net Result: DRAW

It isn't his compliment that widens Adeliza's eyes a bit, but the blood from one nostril. There's a moment of disbelief but she can't dwell on it because she's having to dodge a mule kick coming for her hip and his heel grazes her as she lifts her arms and goes on her tiptoes to arch away from it. She stayers a couple steps forward to regain balance and guard before she can bring her attack around again.

Maybe the blow to the face has upped Toby's desire to just get this over with, maybe he's still just feeling grumpy, but this time he doesn't let Adeliza get comfortable before he's swinging again. Back to fists for now he tries to close the gap and deal enough damage to count while she's still trying to regain her balance.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Toby=melee Vs Adeliza=melee
< Toby: Good Success Adeliza: Good Success
< Net Result: Adeliza wins - Marginal Victory

She's not surprised that he's following up so quickly this time, and she takes a couple of those blows on her guard and one on the top of her head. She lets out her first bellow of frustration and effort and chooses to take them so she can push forward low and fast and then muckle onto him to drive her knee to his stomach and set him off balance enough to give her space to think.

Toby umphs as Adeliza's knee hits the same spot her previous one had and he is forces to take a step backwards to steady himself. He's still throwing punches though, or does so at least until one of the marine's drill sergeants arrive. "Much as I'm sure everyone is enjoying this slapfest, we have this matt booked for PT as of thirty seconds ago, so frak off and stop bleeding all over it." Sergeants, such a way with words. It's enough to get him to stop though, even if it's not a submission or a KO, and as he backs a few paces away to ensure she doesn't have any crazy ideas of jumping him he says, "this isn't finished, just postponed."

Success. Adeliza has a minute to breathe as she fends off his backing up blows. Then, there's the drill sergeant in their way and she nods. Massaging her jaw, with no obvious intent to jump him, she nods once to him, trying not to grin. "Any time not Third Watch," she offers, then goes to pick up a towel and go find some ice.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License