MD #134: Doorkicker - Ground
MD #134: Doorkicker - Ground
Summary: The Marines land in force, joining Ys'rali ghosts and unexpected allies, to rescue the population of Piraeus.
Date: Sun 20/Aug/2017 (OOC Date)
Related Logs: Doorkicker - Air
Clara Fischer Leander Lleufer Miri 
Moroko Palermo Randy Samuel Stone 
Kapali Kelsey Mallas The-captain 
LZ Sheridan, Piraeus
Just outside of the former Colonial town.
Wed 07/Mar/2049 (IC Date)

As soon as the jump is complete, the Orion signals full launch. There's no telling who or what is out there for Skath defenses because everything is happening at once. Vipers are kicking out of launch tubes and every other craft with a crew is up. This includes the complement of eight Rhinos from the Orion and the seven from Norton. As the Raptors, carrying nothing but jamming pods, head for the ground, the passengers can look out the windows and see whats heading down there. Even as they all dive for the surface, the groups can see the aforementioned craft, but also that pirated heavy transport stolen from Aquaria. The massive gray shape has a large heat bloom and contrail behind it from the re-entry speed. As well there are two other members of the fleet landing, the smaller ships Garner (a Stealth Corvette) and Riley (a Cutter). The gun systems on them are up and manned, visible as the turrets are spinning and searching for targets.

The ECO's are busy calling out ground targets as the craft pass down through 40,000 feet. There are SAM radars all over Sheridan and an additional one to the north. There's communication going back and forth about what to do about it. The tracking systems on the missiles, aimed up at them, are just starting to go live when one by one, they start winking out. Anyone looking out the canopy glass at the ground, straight ahead in the dive, can see explosions and black plumes of smoke forming from very precise spots. The ECO's let off a cheer in their birds, calling all guided defense sites destroyed.

Diving through five thousand feet, the craft begin a hard slow, heading for the north end of Sheridan. Their LZ is one mile north of the edge of town and there's already a lot of people down there, waiting just further north of the LZ. More can be seen running that direction up the road. Tracer fire can be seen, as well, on the south end of the city. At two thousand feet, the ramps on all the craft come down and doorgunners, held in place by clipped lanyard, step up on the ramps and wingtips, looking for targets. The pilots all call back at once as they begin their landing flares, "TEN SECONDS!!" Small caliber rounds are already pining off the outsides of the ships.

Randy and the Dogs and those Randy wanted with them are in one of those Rhinos. They're a bit more maneuverable than when she first remembers gunning in one, which she's less and more greatful for as she's strapped into one of the jumpseats right now. She's flipped her headcam on, suited up in full armor with charges in the pack on her back, her rudimentary EOD/utility pack, rifle with AP rounds, sidearm with AP rounds, chest rig with all frag grenades save for one smoke. She unstraps and stands up, relying on her tether only when the ramp drops at 2K feet. "FORM UP!" She untethers in the last ten seconds and moves into formation, waiting till they touch down to give the, "MOVE OUT!"

Loaded down with the standard compliment of gear and kitted out from head to toe, Palermo is unsnapping from the safety harness and rising to her feet as soon as the ten second count is called out. Rifle is snugged against her chest with one hand, the rifle itself worn cross body on a tactical sling to keep it precisely in place, the other hand holding to one of the chicken straps to maintain her balance. Being dropped shipped into a combat zone at the bottom of a gravity well? hell yeah. All that's missing is the packing peanuts, the bubble wrap and duct tape! Palermo steps into formation, stacking up with the rest of the team, and moving forward as soon as the order is given.

Moroko quietly watches the rest of the squad. It's still taking used to apparently dropping with the oddities that make up dog platoon. Moroko's head tilts watching the sky and ground as it comes into view no doubt playing it against his mental image of the battlefield. He compares it against his gear watching where the different air and space units go diving towards. He smiles absently to himself, "Minutes in and the battle plan's still in tact. Ain't that something. We might even make landing before it all goes to hell." Because apparently the corporal likes to jinx things. He pushes his way up taking a last glance out the window and then forming up in his spot in the line. He bounces a little as if stretching out and checks on his rifle first and then the assorted odds and ends spending more time on his radio gear ensuring it's strapped in and secure for at least the next few moments.

His wife is busy elsewhere, dealing with her squadron, so Gunnery Sergeant Lleufer Ynyr is strapped into a Rhino as it heads in through Piraeus atmosphere. There's some turbulence to shake him around but the combat veteran is relaxed, hanging out and listening, watchful of his fellow Marines but patient. No reason to be tense even though any second now they could come under fire or get a missile up the Rhino's ass. He can't do anything about it if it did, so Lleu looks like he doesn't care. Up until the ten second warning is shouted. Then he unstraps, grabs his light machine gun, and braces his boots, ready to stand up and leap out as soon as the door is open and clear for him to head out. Oorah! Piraeus used to be his home. Soon as he's out, Ynyr moves out away from the Rhino to get clear and starts moving as soon as Lieutenant Flynn starts barking orders.

It's been a little while since Clara was tapped for an op. But as they need everyone they can get for this one, even a little ol' S2 is not immune to strapping on a rifle and hopping on board a rhino tonight. She's suited up in full combat gear: rifle and sidearm strapped to her thigh rig, extra ammunition, two frag grenades and her visor flipped down once the command is given to move. She unsnaps her tether, shifts nimbly to her feet, and prepares to slot in at the unit's flank as per usual.

As usual, Fischer is silent on the way down, while checking his rifle a few times just to be certain everything is okay. There's a look over to Moroko as he hears what's said. "Too optimistic," he remarks. He gets to his feet with the others, getting ready to get out and about.

Private Leander and his canine partner are both geared up for ground combat. The MP and security dog may be better suited for crowd control, but as they say 'every Marine a rifleman.' Well, Prax doesn't have a rifle, but the German Shepherd does have a maw full of teeth. Leander is in full 'quiet mode' as they ride the Rhinos down to the LZ, his expression grim and serious. The dog is lying on the deck at his feet, at ease. Both alert, in their own way, as rounds start to ping off their craft, and then they come to their feet on the Lieutenant's command, ready to file out by the numbers.

Stone is geared up and ready. His eyes looking around the place and watching those with him. Offering a studying gaze. In between making sure that all his gear is up to standards. His rifle checked as well. Ready to get going.

When the Marines begin piling and leaping out, they can hear the rounds over the sound of the screaming turbine engines. They aren't heavy yet, just one or two here and there for the moment. Landing into the grass, this a familiar area for a lot of people. This LZ is perfect. Its a slight slope downhill towards the town to the South and provides excellent fields of fire with small clumps of trees and a few rocks to be used for cover. The two roads coming north are packed with people running towards the ships, troops (likely Ys'rali) are running alongside them and some carrying the younger ones born after the invasion, the older folks, or those who just can't move fast enough. Further south they can hear automatic weapons fire from the other side of town and there is a very large dirt plume another eight or ten miles south near the lake. To the north there are about one hundred and fifty people and a lot of livestock, including cattle and horses, and a few goats. They seem to have packed up the chickens. They're all hunkered down and are waiting for the go ahead from the Ys'rali soldiers waiting with them.

When they disembark the Raptors and Rhinos, Captain al Yamoha is waiting for Randy. She is grim-faced but has a particular sneer to the expression. Like the wolf in the henhouse. "Lieutenant Flynn!" she yells over the sound of the engines. She's flanked by two soldiers with radios. "Welcome home!" Her gloved hand lifts and chops towards Sheridan. "I have Alpha Company keeping the Skath engaged at the south side of Sheridan but they are wheeling this direction. I've got Bravo Company about to hit their flanks from the east in town." She looks that direction. "A few days ago the Skath landed a whole tank battalion south of town, about thirty of them, and about five hundred Walkers into Sheridan proper. Its gonna get real sporty. ETA on the walkers is about three minutes." She then looks back to Randy, "We'll bring the kids when you're ready, Lieutenant. Just say the word. I gotta get into the fight, though."

Randy moves out of formation to greet the ghost Captain (even if she looks as flesh and blood as the rest of them). Randy has no sneer, no sign of enjoyment. She's all grim-faced and focused, locked down. "Aye. Thanks," she greets gruffly and looks out at the terrain and the way the civilians are being moved. "I think we just got to start loading people in as fast as we can. Are we helping you escort the kids from somewhere or do you have that all handled? Given I don't know how that's going down, I need your insight for when the /word/ should be given. We can't hold off the tanks. We could call in some orbital bombardment, but I want to minimize casualties. Our people will be best probably taking out the Walkers, setting up a quick ambush or just planting ourselves between them and the evacuating civilians. Any Loyalists to worry about?"

Palermo's experience with livestock and herd beasts and is limited to stuff seen on film and in media. If it doesn't come shrink wrapped in plastic with white butchers paper around it and a neat label? It's not her area of expertise. So the marine eyes the incoming people and livestock with eyes slightly narrowed, though to be fair its more narrowed at the incoming livestock than people, moving a half step to the side to tip a respectful nod toward the Captain before eyeing the livestock. Again.

Clara draws up nearby to listen in on the conversation between Randy and Al Yamoha, rifle left in its sling for now. "You want me to run an advance recon element to see what we're looking at on an ETA for those tanks?" she wonders, flipping up her visor for the moment. "Or I can help get the kids out." She can move faster and carry more, if need be, than the non-Lines after all.

The Captain nods to Randy. "Copy that, el-tee. I'll make the call on when we get the kids to you. I want to keep them safe so we're going to pull them right at the end. Once they're here, they can get hurt. As for bombardment, you might want to get on that. They're moving this way." She glances to one of the radio operators to confirm and he nods in reply. Back to Randy, "The loyalists have been dealt with, Lieutenant Flynn. They will not be an issue for you, I guarantee it. I'd get your people into firing positions ASAP. I gotta move." Rather than disappear, though, al Yamoha moves off with her radio operators and begins running south towards the town. Taking the long way?

Ugh at the news of Skath Tanks and walkers, but not surprise that somebody in Sheridan must have tipped them off when word started to spread. Lleufer grimaces, looking southwards. The Gunny spares a brief look back up towards the mountains, maybe trying to spot something of his former ranch and cabin from their landing zone. But he's never going to see his home again, most likely. Ynyr directs his attention back to the people gathering and the gunfire to the south of them, his mouth a grim line. He licks his lips and checks his chrono, "Three minutes." That's not much time to get people loading. Instead of piping up what he thinks they should do, he studies the lay of the land and keeps an Arpay ear alert for Randy's orders.

Moroko doesn't have anything to drop bombs on at the moment and so he moves out in the half circle with the rest of the unit taking up a position. His eyes casing in the terrain surveying quietly. He wrinkles his nose at the open area and surveys for a good vantage spot. Now that he's already hexed things though he stays quiet. Though his head does tilt at the discussion of bombardment.

Fischer listens to what's being said, frowning a little as he hears what's said. He looks between the others briefly, then looks to the south rather carefully. Otherwise keeping silent as he waits for orders.

Stone gets off and moves out, quiet and calculating. Watching the field and following the commands given. Moving swiftly and on the ready. Staying low and being careful as he listens to Randy's orders.

Randy looks from the Captain to Lieutenant Piers and presses her lips together with a thoughtful wrinkle emerging at her forehead. "Okay. Piers. Take Torin and see if you can get a visual before we call something in on those tanks and end up taking out way too many civilians. Go quickly, let me know if you have to leave the group. TEAM! Take up firing positions. Do not get too far apart from each other. We're facing numbers here, so gunners you get priority picking, riflemen fall in after. I'm going to setup some explosives and I'll be calling out safety distances as I do. If you don't pay attention, you will regret it. Move out!"

<FS3> Randy rolls Body+Body: Success.

Moroko also very much grabs his binoculars as he searches the terrain rather than being goofy and just looking with his naked eye.

Clara nods once to Randy, flips her visor back down and moves off with a quick hand signal to Torin to accompany her. Then they both hoof it off a short way, with a pair of binoculars, to see what they can find.

Leander piles out of the Rhino and down the ramp, following his boss Gunnery Sergeant Ynyr away from the ship. Prax lopes along at his heels, sniffing the scents of Piraeus. "Gonna take a while to load all those folks up, Gunny," he notes to Lleufer. "You want me directing traffic or shooting Skath?"

<FS3> Moroko rolls Alertness: Good Success.

Wishing that the approaching crowd of humanity and livestock were equipped with a visible speedometer, Palermo moves into position behind the stance the gunners are taking and drops to one knee. Her gear is shifted slightly around to make sure that she can reload fast and settles in, rifle held ready between her gloved hands.

Lleufer gives a curt nod as the orders come over his radio. He gestures for his fellows around him to move southwards so they can stop the Walkers well before they get on top of the Raptors and other craft while loading. The Gunnery Sergeant starts running southwards and has picked out two places and heads for FP7, with a fall back position of FP8 behind it. He barks orders to some of his MP's who have come down with him and gives Leander a glance as he comes up. "Hell yeah. Let's press as far forward as we can get south along the road up there. It'll give us a fall back position to make a run back as we have to, and buy them as much time as we can." He keeps moving, sucking breath as he runs, "The Ys'rali have my youngest son. You bet your ass I want to be sure he can get out."

Fischer nods as he listens to hthe orders, moving to find a firing position, not too far from the westernmost of the roads. Glancing around to see where the others are nearby.

Moroko watches for a few moments and tucks it down and moves to fall in with Clara. He lets out a grunt, "They're speeding up. Of course they're speeding up. Don't suppose they'll run out of gas do you?" He opines to Clara as he hoofs it and in his head already beginning to run the calculations for how long until they're amongst the evacuees. "I counted at least a dozen. But they're kicking up a lot of dust." He opines of the tanks. "And they aren't our only greeting committee."

"Aye aye Gunny," Leander acknowledges the orders from Lleufer and moves up with the older MP. Prax runs close alongside. The Private has heard the rumors about the ghosts keeping kids safe on P, but he didn't know whether to believe that or not, let alone that Lleufer's son was among them. There's a curt nod from the MP in response. "Never saved kids before. Sounds like a good mission."

Samuel arrives from the Tinyplot Room Nexus.

There's a grunt from Clara in response to Moroko's question. "No, they aren't," she murmurs, lowering her binoculars. "How long do you figure we've got? I'm almost thinking we try to run a diversion.." She chews her lip thoughtfully. "Let's report back to Flynn. C'mon."

Stone spreads out as they move out. Trying to find cover to the side, to make sure not to be gathered up in a larger group. Quietly moving, taking in all the info that he can. Trying to see what he can do to help the situation. Making sure to still be in a good distance to the others in his group.

The refugees are no longer waiting for the soldier's permissions. Rather than waiting for order, they begin all running and piling into whatever they can find with open room. There's a bit of chaos with the ECO's trying to wave people away to other ships and people wanting to know why (because the Marines have their birds they need). Meanwhile to the north, people mount up on horses and begin moving the cows south towards the heavy transport, along with the other livestock.

People are just getting into their positions when the Skath begin appearing at the edge of Sheridan. They're running at full speed, firing. They're mostly coming out of the center and moving towards the LZ. They aren't really shooting at the civilians, though a few of them do fall in the gunfire meant for the ships attempting to be boarded. The Skath are way out of range to hit the transports and do damage, but it has the desired effect of causing more panic among the refugees.

[Into the Wireless] Clara says, "Flynn, this is Piers. We are enroute back."

Moroko nods to Clara sticking with her as he report. She can clearly see that he's running numbers in his head. His eyes flicking down to his watch counting under his breath. It's clear he's running the numbers even as they go and alternates as he relays to her and Randy, "They were around 7 miles out when we first spotted them. The first dozen looked to be crossing six miles out. If they maintain speed. If I start now, I can probably get two drops on them, before well I'm cutting it damn close. If they speed up… At three miles out… well safe distance is only safe in a planning room. But I can probably keep hitting the rest of the wave behind them. I don't think I can do much about the house to house fighting unless it gets really bad."

All the vets can start rolling their eyes when Randy, the team lead, starts hoofing down ahead of them to get down to a position some of those might recognize as a perfect location for a roadside bomb. She rolls down into the ditch as the civilians still move past her and slides her pack off her back. Then she hustles at setting it up (as much as one can /rush/ explosives work, ha) as she listens to the reports come in from the orbital recon element. She grabs her pack and her remote detonator to try and book it back towards her team and the firing positions because, well, she can hear the Walkers even if she's not sure exaclty if they're going to get anywhere near her bomb. She has to stay close enough. "Frak frak." She relays orders on her way back to a little hidey hole with some bush 'coverage.'

[Into the Wireless] Randy sounds a little winded, "Torin, Flynn. Copy that. Call it in on those tanks asap or we'll miss our window."

Clara doesn't stick around waiting for Randy's acknowledgement. The report's been delivered, and she nods tersely to Moroko as she helps to get the rest of the unit set up in their firing positions. "Call it in." The orbital bombardment. Then she hustles to get into place with her rifle so she can cover their team lead, dark eyes scanning the horizon.

The distant sound of gunfire accompanied by the ever increasing volume that signals the arrival of civilians and their livestock has Palermo fighting the urge to do something about that particular problem instead of the one that will be rolling up. The marine sergeant regrets not being able to roll a LAV into the mix and engage the tanks in vehicle to vehicle combat, but it's harder to load up the LAV again after its dirtside than it is to load it to lift off from the Orion.

It took a little while to get all the equipment together, but once he does, Samuel comes out into the field looking like a mini-tank himself. With a machine gun strapped onto him, a bipod, and a large backpack attached to said machine gun… Samuel looks every bit the giant slab of firepower as he sets the bipod on a rock nearby and aims the gun at the nearest Skath with a thump.

Stone does take one of the flanks and sitting in position, defensive focus for now. Trying to offer some covering fire and aiming to at least bring someone down. Eyes scanning as he sees a suitable target. Staying behind cover to stay out of the fire.

The freckled medic with the big, green eyes has been moving along quietly, but when things start to get real, she's ready. Miri doesn't think they see her, so she uses her position to get a few good shots in at one of the Skath frakkers,

Having found his position to fire, Fischer kneels a bit to get behind cover, as he brings the rifle up to fire at one of the Skath, a quick burst.

All right, there they are up ahead. Lleufer lays himself down and sets up the light machine gun, positioning himself for a good line of sight down the road towards the south. Randy may or may not be out ahead of him, depending on which road she's doing her work on. A glance over his shoulder to check on Leander and the dog, Prax, who probably won't be any use against Skath Walkers. Ynyr's Apray eyes are sharp and he chooses targets as the Skath are coming up, "Here they come." His baritone is kept real low and he keeps an ear out for radio chatter over the Marine channels.

Moroko nods sharply as the order comes in and he finds himself a spot setting in with his radio and his binoculars, "Acknowledged." He syas to Clara and Randy. He switches to the orbital channels, "FDC, Charlie-Six-Six. Call for Fire, I need immediate fire on fast movers, Skath tanks moving along bearing one nine. Location for fire is Zulu Tango Five Niner Eight Two Two. Interdiction Fire." Even if he can't stop all of them he can hopefully disrupt their formation and try and keep the enemy from swarming them.

<COMBAT> Stone fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath1 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath1 with Rifle Ap - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath1 with Rifle Ap - Serious wound to Right Hand (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Skath5 attacks Leander with LMG Tripod AP - Moderate wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Miri fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Miri attacks Skath2 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Miri attacks Skath2 with Rifle AP - Serious wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Miri attacks Skath2 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Clara fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Clara attacks Skath4 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Abdomen.

<COMBAT> Clara attacks Skath4 with Rifle AP - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Clara attacks Skath4 with Rifle AP - Critical wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Skath4 attacks Randy with LMG Tripod AP - Moderate wound to Neck (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Lleufer fires fullauto!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath5 with Lmg Ap - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath5 with Lmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath5 with Lmg Ap - Moderate wound to Right Hand (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath6 with Lmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath6 with Lmg Ap - Light wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath6 with Lmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath7 with Lmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath7 with Lmg Ap - ARMOR on Abdomen stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Fischer fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Skath4 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Skath4 with Rifle AP - ARMOR on Right Arm stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Skath4 with Rifle AP - Critical wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Skath8 attacks Samuel with LMG Tripod AP - COVER stops the attack.

<COMBAT> Skath7 attacks Lleufer with LMG Tripod AP - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Skath2 attacks Stone with LMG Tripod AP - Moderate wound to Right Leg.

<COMBAT> Skath1 attacks Stone with LMG Tripod AP - Serious wound to Chest.

<COMBAT> Samuel fires fullauto!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath8 with Mmg Ap - ARMOR on Abdomen stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath8 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath8 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath7 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath7 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath7 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath6 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath6 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Palermo fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Palermo attacks Skath3 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Head (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Palermo attacks Skath3 with Rifle AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Palermo attacks Skath3 with Rifle AP - Serious wound to Chest.

<COMBAT> Leander fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Leander attacks Skath5 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Left Arm (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Leander attacks Skath5 with Rifle AP - Light wound to Right Hand (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Leander attacks Skath5 with Rifle AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath6 attacks Leander with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath3 attacks Palermo with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath3 has been KO'd!

<COMBAT> Skath4 has been KO'd!

<COMBAT> Stone has been KO'd!

<COMBAT> Stone spends a luck point to keep fighting!

When the walkers are in range and the Marines begin to open up on them, Ynyr can hear the firing in coming from the Skath as well. His light machine gun rips loose, ejecting brass in a tide as 20 rounds fly down range to hammer at the machines. Alas for Lleufer, the Gunny's rounds do little more than richocet off or don't pierce much armor. It makes him grimace, and before he might grumble anything, a Skath round nails him in the chest! The angle is bad since he's got himself low but it tears a grunt of out Ynyr with the impact, jerking his entire body with the force of it. But the angle and his armor saves him more than some unpleasant bruising. "Son of a bitch. Mother frakker." A quick adjustment to his aim and Lleufer starts firing again.

Only a few of the walkers are going down despite the fire. The heavy automatic weapons fire that was south of town has fully moved into it, the Ys'rali trying to catch any stragglers. Meanwhile on the est side of town a whole new bout of heavy automatic weapons fire starts up. A lot of it. There's dust rising from all over Sheridan as the town is steadily shot to shit. There are suddenly smoke trails from the tops of a few houses and across town a pair of explosions crack across the terrain. Parts of Skath Walker come raining back down out of the clouds. But there's still a lot of Skath coming. A lot of them. Luckily the flow of refugees from the town seems to have slowed to only a few stragglers running to catch up. Two individuals in old Second War camo/gear and a third in a flightsuit are running down the road into the town, rifles up and yelling for last call to the evac. Most of the people along the roads are frantically trying to clear the line of fire across Road #2, but are now mostly circling up Road #1 and then around. Behind the Marines, the livestock is still being loaded and its not a simple maneuver. A few of the 'cowboys' with rifles are taking long range potshots from the saddles of their horses, over everyone's heads towards the Skath.

<FS3> Randy rolls Alertness: Good Success.

<FS3> Lleufer rolls Alertness: Good Success.

<FS3> Miri rolls Alertness: Great Success.

<FS3> Clara rolls Alertness: Good Success.

Clara, true to her word, covers Randy while she sets her charges. Spotting a skath walker zeroing in on the EOD, she aims up and rattles off a quick triple burst of gunfire, disabling the robotic combatant and setting it up to be taken down quickly and cleanly.

There is a lot of firepower going downrange, but most of it is missing the fast moving Walkers. Samuel doesn't seem to be having a good time of it, that backpack mounted ammo reserve being adjusted as the belt feeding into the machine gun starts to disappear, and the *TAT TAT TAT* of his bipod mounted gun echoes. Nonetheless, he does hit one, but the round is stopped by armor, and Samuel adjusts his aim a bit.

[Into the Wireless] Clara says, "Flynn, Piers. I spot three friendlies moving toward town. They look familiar."

Stone feels the shot that hit his leg, exposing his body which brings him down on his back. Luckily not dead but crawling to find cover to get back in the fight. Cursing in a low voice. At least he got a few shots in on the enemy. Moving to get back into the fight.

Randy's in full range of the Skath when they open up fire and she doesn't exactly have any cover, at all. As she's high tailing it back, not even bothering to shoot, one of the rounds from a Walker hits. To others it's only obvious because Randy staggers and almost falls over after the impact. She holds the remote detonator in one hand, her sidearm in the other. She can't go too far or she'll get out of range of the detonator. Meanwhile, she wonders if it's going to be hard to breathe soon, but feels confident when she's not immediately choking on her own blood or having troubles drawing air into her lungs. She spots the familiar faces heading in the /wrong direction/ and tries to motion them back with her detonator hand and to shout out. Can she shout out right now? She tries. She wants to ward them away from the big booms and her baby boom which is not so baby but it makes her a prime target for the Skath as she can't exactly get the friendlies' attention and remain hidden while they are all distracted with the evacuees. At least it shows her people where not to shoot…since she's awfully visible.

Nodding as the enemy he was firing at goes down, Fischer switches to another enemy. Taking a few moments to adjust his aim, he fires another burst.

Leander takes up position about ten meters from Lleufer and the machine gun, taking cover behind some rocks. Prax's training keeps the dog at the Private's side, lying down near his feet as soon as he halts. More or less in full cover, the dog is probably safer than the Marines unless the Skath get in close. Leander's eyes grow wide as the walkers come into view — he's seen clerics and loyalist, but this is his first time against the Machines themselves. "Godsdamn. At least they're be hard to miss." Raising his rifle, he opens fire on one of the enemy nearest his position. True to his word, his burst scores hits on the big walker. But the young MP takes a round in the vest in return. He gives a howl of pain, then remembers to call out for a medic. "Corpsman!"

[Into the Wireless] Randy coughs, "Piers…Flynn. See 'em. Doing something stupid over."

Miri dashes over to Stone, sticking him with an autoinjector full of some good stuff and putting pressure on his chest. She calls over to Leander, "I see you, I'll be right there!" She looks up, seeing the three figures and she stops for half a second, talking into her radio as she works.

[Into the Wireless] Miri says, "Piers, Zahav. That's our people. Kapali, Mallas and Wescott."

Stone does see Miri run over, stopping his fire. Giving an appreciating nod. "Get me ready to continue this fight, we need all hands on deck." He offers, hungry to get back into the fight, to help. However he will stay calm and let Miri work on him. He did take a nasty shot to the chest after all. Breathing and trying to remain calm.

<COMBAT> Lleufer fires fullauto!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath11 with Lmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath11 with Lmg Ap - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath11 with Lmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath11 with Lmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath11 with Lmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath12 with Lmg Ap - Serious wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath12 with Lmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath12 with Lmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath12 with Lmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Miri treats Stone:

<COMBAT> Leander fires fullauto!

<COMBAT> Leander attacks Skath8 with Rifle AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Leander attacks Skath8 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Leander attacks Skath8 with Rifle AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Leander attacks Skath6 with Rifle AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Leander attacks Skath6 with Rifle AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Leander attacks Skath6 with Rifle AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Leander attacks Skath12 with Rifle AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Leander attacks Skath12 with Rifle AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel fires fullauto!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath1 with Mmg Ap - Moderate wound to Right Arm (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath1 with Mmg Ap - Critical wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath1 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath1 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath1 with Mmg Ap - Critical wound to Head.

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath5 with Mmg Ap - Moderate wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath5 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath5 with Mmg Ap - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath5 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath8 attacks Leander with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath5 attacks Fischer with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Fischer fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Skath5 with Rifle AP - Critical wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Skath5 with Rifle AP - Light wound to Right Hand (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Skath5 with Rifle AP - Critical wound to Head (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Clara fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Clara attacks Skath10 with Rifle AP - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Clara attacks Skath10 with Rifle AP - ARMOR on Right Hand stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Clara attacks Skath10 with Rifle AP - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Skath12 attacks Lleufer with LMG Tripod AP - Moderate wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Cover) (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Skath11 attacks Miri with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath9 attacks Samuel with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath7 attacks Moroko with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath6 attacks Leander with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath10 attacks Miri with LMG Tripod AP - COVER stops the attack.

<COMBAT> Palermo fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Palermo attacks Skath10 with Rifle AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Palermo attacks Skath10 with Rifle AP - Light wound to Left Hand (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Palermo attacks Skath10 with Rifle AP - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Skath1 attacks Moroko with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath1 has been KO'd!

<COMBAT> Skath5 has been KO'd!

Leander feels a surge of adrenaline overriding some of the pain from his wound, and the young MP grits his teeth and gets his sights back on target. Flicking the selector to full out, he starts pouring more rounds downrange at the walkers. He can't see if he hit anything or not, but at least the Skath do react to heavy incoming. The buzz and crack of their return fire zips past while Prax lays low and keeps her ears down behind the rocks.

Over the din of gunfire, they can hear it. It sounds like five hundred freight trains ripping through the atmosphere. Above them all, to the South, they can see contrails coming down towards the surface. Hundreds of them, in waves. They're still visible coming out of the clouds when the first wave lands among the dust cloud to the south. There are flashes and massive pressure waves coming off the impact zones. The blast waves level the south side of town instantly and continue rolling past. The pressure waves hit them and the sound is completely deafening. That initial boom and then its like cotton as more and more fall, the terra beneath them all bucking and rolling. The rounds eventually stop after about twenty seconds and all that anyone can see south of Sheridan is a mass of grey and black smoke, a few fires glowing within, and the sound of heavy rounds cooking off. The cloud rises hundreds of feet into the air already and is drifting west with the breeze. In front of them, the Skath had all been knocked flat by the blasts and are starting to rise and begin shooting again. The distance on the lead Walkers has closed to under five hundred yards and their rounds going towards the landed ships are getting mroe accurate. Over the radios they can hear the ECO's yelling for people to hurry up. Time is running short. Meanwhile the three that had gone into town are running back out and will be dragging Randy with them if she went down.

Those bullets are coming awfully close. Miri covers her patient with her own body as the Skath fire in their direction. She gives him another shot — adrenaline this time — and gives him a gentle pat on the shoulder. "If you need anything, scream. If you're dying, die loud." She ducks and runs, heading over to Leander, who had called for a medic. "Told you I was coming, kid," she reassures him, hoping he can hear her over the din. It's moments like these that she's glad for her ear protection.

Stone nods to Miri, "Will do, thanks." Happily returning to his duties. Kill things, and die loudly if he has to die. Carefully trying to take his shots. Leaning against his cover. While the wounds aren't dangerous it still hurt some. Trying to get clear shots on the enemy.

Randy spends 1 luck points on Because Randy doesn't know how to recognize ghost-butt from real-butt.

<FS3> Randy rolls Body+Body-2: Good Success.

Getting down one more of the enemies, Fischer frowns as he adjusts his position. Seeing some of the enemies turning their attention to him, he aims for one more of them, firing once more.

[TAC4] Inez says, "Nyx, Sawyer, copy that, forming up with you."

Then, there's the manic laughter coming from the guy shooting the bipod machine gun. A glance says it's Samuel, who now sports the biggest grin you'll ever see as he rains on the Skath parade, "come and get it, assholes!" it's a bit hard to hear the overly-enthusiastic marine over the machine gun… but then, the man just put down two Walkers, and turns the MG to support Miri.

Hunkering as close to the ground as she can, Palermo flattens the palms of both hands over her ears, head ducked down as well to ensure that her helmet is covering her head, the back of her neck, shoulders drawn up as well to lend imaginary protection to her neck as well. She stays flattened into the dirt and what ever vegetation is native to this area, coughing briefly to clear the dirt out of her nose and mouth, and rises to a crouch again to keep firing away at the advancing line of skath, training her weapons fire at the damned canners that are shooting at their medic!

Moroko's focus was not on the nearby battle except to occasionally duck his head as bullets ping by nearby. He shifts position after bullets come particularly close. But his rifle is hanging loose while he instead continues to call in fire. His eyes focused down range trying to keep the incoming heavy reinforcements from showing up all at once. Once the impact comes in he ducks and lowers his radio. He grunts, "Not much more to be done there." He says after knocking down a percentage of the nearby town. It's unclear how much damage he did to the enemy but… well he's definitely ruined the terrain. He lifts up his rifle toggling the burst and searching for a nearby Skath.

Leander's calling out for a Corpsman distracts Ynyr. Lleufer looks back at his fellow MP and pauses long enough for a look, "You hit bad?" It doesn't look too bad to him, not bad enough to call for a medic, but he's about ten meters from Leander and can't tell. The PFC doesn't seem too bad off so Lleufer directs his attention back down range, distracted for a second between firing when he sees the three figures moving back there. Hell yes, something familiar about them and Miri's voice over the radio makes gooseflesh prickle his skin, "By Gods." They may already be dead, but the Gunny does his best to nail some Skath and give'm cover anyway. Just then another round catches him and punches through his armor. It knocks the breath out of him and for a second, Lleu is left rolling slightly onto his side to try and suck air back into his lungs. A hand reaches down to slap at the blood. Oh my Gods, that's going to start hurting really bad. Gut wounds suck, but for the moment adrenline keeps him from feeling it yet. That's when the orbital bombardment rolls like thunder and shakes the ground HARD. Ynyr slaps his hands over his Arpay ears. Soon as it lets up, Ynyr looks to Leander, "We better fall back! Next firing position! They are getting too close and may cut us off!" So he makes himself get up with a grunt and try to do just that. The two of them can try to cover each other until they reach FP8.

Clara spots Randy doing.. what the frak is she doing? "Flynn, get the frak down," she barks over the comms. Her voice actually resonates fairly well for such a little thing. Dust kicked up as she shoves out of her hidey hole, she hustles off after Randy to try to catch up to her and snag a handful of clothing, perhaps, and yank her down.

"Holy frak!" Those enormous blast waves cause Leander's eyes to go wide once more, and he ducks behind cover as they roll across his firing position. He pops back up to resume firing after they've passed, shouting back to Lleufer as he does so. "Not too bad!" And then the medic is there, and he gives Miri a quick thumbs up in thanks before going back to the fight. A quick burst out and then he hears the Gunny yelling about falling back. "Okay!" The Private turns to take one more shot, waiting for Miri to finish her work before he too falls back.

Randy knows the shock wave is coming. There will be no escaping it, but she's not in her bomb suit gear. She's just in that dinky heavy combat armor. No time to think. She's still trying to shout down the people she /just now learns/ are ghosts. When she does, she turns and braces herself, because frak her ghost friends! They're already dead! The shock wave hits her and regardless of what she does to shield her ears, it's a bit of a lost cause. The disorientation is pretty horrible, and that's when her IED goes off, being triggered by the shock wave. Bits of road and dirt and debris go everywhere. Randy's just trying to figure out which way are the Skath and which way is the LZ. Clara's hand comes out of nowhere and yanks her down…in time hopefully not to get shot up by some Walkers advancing on their position.

<COMBAT> Samuel suppresses Skath11 with Mmg Ap. <successful>

<COMBAT> Samuel suppresses Skath7 with Mmg Ap. <unsuccessful>

<COMBAT> Skath14 attacks Samuel with LMG Tripod AP - COVER stops the attack.

<COMBAT> Palermo fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Palermo attacks Skath7 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Right Arm (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Palermo attacks Skath7 with Rifle AP - Serious wound to Left Hand (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Palermo attacks Skath7 with Rifle AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Stone fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath12 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Right Hand (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath12 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Left Hand (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath12 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath8 attacks Samuel with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath7 attacks Miri with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath16 attacks Clara with LMG Tripod AP - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Moroko fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Moroko attacks Skath16 with Rifle AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Moroko attacks Skath16 with Rifle AP but MISSES!

<COMBAT> Moroko attacks Skath16 with Rifle AP but MISSES!

<COMBAT> Leander fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Leander attacks Skath15 with Rifle AP - Light wound to Right Arm (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Leander attacks Skath15 with Rifle AP - Light wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Leander attacks Skath15 with Rifle AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Fischer fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Skath9 with Rifle AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Skath9 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Skath9 with Rifle AP - Serious wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Skath9 attacks Fischer with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath6 attacks Lleufer with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath15 attacks Leander with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath13 attacks Samuel with LMG Tripod AP - Moderate wound to Head (Reduced by Cover) (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Skath12 attacks Stone with LMG Tripod AP - Light wound to Chest.

<COMBAT> Miri treats Leander:

<COMBAT> Skath11 attacks Miri with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath10 attacks Fischer with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath7 has been KO'd!

<COMBAT> Skath9 has been KO'd!

<COMBAT> Stone has been KO'd!

<COMBAT> Stone spends a luck point to keep fighting!

Stone isn't doing too good, but still trying to hang in there. Trying to stay as covered as he can. Shooting towards where at least several of them are, without a proper aim now though. Trying his best from where he is as he sprays bullets towards the enemy.

Things are getting hot. There are more and more Skath coming out of the remains of the town, like cockroaches fleeing the light. The automatic weapons fire from the town has mostly died down after the bombardment, but they Ys'rali are hopefully just tapering off because they don't want to end up sending missed rounds into the Colonial positions. But the problem is that there's a lot of Skath coming and the ones getting close to the Raptors are falling, but the rate just isn't fast enough. Over the radio, everyone can hear one of the crew chiefs calling to the Marines, "Lieutenant Flynn, we've got everyone we can see and can't make room for the dead, sir! We gotta go!" He says it just as one of the Raptors explodes from a missile strike from a Skath walker. The whole thing goes up in a ball of flame, sending fuel flying into the grass around other Raptors that are just getting their last bodies aboard. Looking back, most of the anopy glass on the Raptors are covered with patch holes to seal the craft for the passengers. They can't keep this up much longer. "We've got just enough room for the kids, sir!"

Clara takes a faceful of dirt, and spits gravel to one side as she scrambles to re-establish a firing position. "You have gotta stop doing stupid shit," she mutters to Randy, off comms, as she lines up a shot on one of the walkers. Maybe the EOD hears her, maybe not.

From Miri's spot treating Leander, it's not far to Lleufer. "You know the drill, old man," she says to him as she whips out her injectors, clotting agents and other party supplies. She offers him a hand up. "Looks like we're moving."

[Into the Wireless] Clara says, "Flynn, Piers. I'm not sure how we're gonna get the kids out in this mess.."

Ooooooh sweet morpha. Leander feels the pain ease as Miri injects him, and the lack of continued bleeding is nice too. "We gotta fall back, sir!" he shouts at the medic. True to his word, the Private fires off one more burst, then breaks cover and runs like Hades for the fallback position. Prax has been hugging the ground so far, but she now rises up to race along with the MP.

The three 'familiar faces' run up across Clara and Randy and begin hauling who they have to, shouting at them to move. There's no missing the intensity on their faces or the feeling of their hustled hands and arms, grabbing at them both to move. Meanwhile they can see al Yamoha running towards the back of the Rhinos and yelling at them to stop them from raising their ramps.

Moroko tries to stay low as he makes his way back to the rest of the Marine firing lines. He does his best to try and take shots at those Skath taking fire at Randy and Clara but it's clear he somewhat blew his orbital strike load early hopefully enough to keep the heavy tanks from overwhelming them before they can pull out. He keeps on with his rifle apparently deciding a closer strike isn't worth the risk of damage.

Randy doesn't hear a thing, especially not wise skinjob advice. Her ears finally stop ringing enough for her to just hear Clara over the radio as she spits out some dirt and blood. "CAPTAIN! GET OUR KIDS ON THE FRAKKING BOAT!" They didn't exactly establish a line of communication that Randy knows of, so she just sort of trusts that the Captain has people or just knows or something. She has her rifle at ready and starts booking it up towards the LZ, answering back over the comms.

"ARGH!" is the sound that Samuel makes as his head gets clipped by a round. Despite the blood now dripping though, he still continues his full auto spray into the Skath ranks. He's already next to a transport, so he can just pile in once the order is given to get out of dodge. Meanwhile? He's laughing manicallly still as he pours the lead into Skath lines.

There are moments in every person's life, when they get in The Zone, and everything goes as they want it to. It would seem that this is one of those moments for Fischer, as he gets another of the Skath. Waiting for a few moments longer, he fires off at another of the enemies, ducking down a bit behind his cover to avoid getting shot.

[Into the Wireless] Randy says, "Piers, Flynn. Not sure we have a choice now. Over."

[Into the Wireless] Randy says, "…take off as soon as you can to reduce casualties, we're getting the kids asap."

One of the trio from Sheridan, PFC Anthony Mallas stops long enough to yell to Randy and Clara over the din. "Frak, they promoted you guys!?" The rifleman's young face splits with a sardonic grin as bullets fly all around him. He doesn't seem to care. "Come on skinny! Move it El-tee! Unless you wanna be stuck here with us!"

Miri will have to cross and open space to reach him for Lleufer Ynyr has fallen back to FP8. There he takes up a new line of sight to start firing the LMG to give Leander cover while this fellow MP falls back as well. He's bleeding but the Gunnery Sergeant sure has been hurt a lot worse before. Still, gut shot is starting to kick in and make his insides burn like fire, Gods. Thankfully it's not a real serious wound or he might be in trouble. As the Corpsman zips over to get back under cover and help him, Lleu spares Miri a glance, "Things are a little hot." He focuses on firing.

Clara scowls at being called 'skinny'. Or maybe she's just concentrating on her shot. Damn know it all ghosts. "Not going anywhere until the kids are loaded up," she grumbles at him. Never mind that her own kids are guaranteed not to be among them. Those are the children of her friends, the people she loves.

<COMBAT> Miri treats Lleufer:

<COMBAT> Randy fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Randy attacks Skath19 with Rifle AP - Critical wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Randy attacks Skath19 with Rifle AP - Serious wound to Chest.

<COMBAT> Randy attacks Skath19 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Left Arm (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Moroko fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Moroko attacks Skath6 with Rifle AP - Serious wound to Left Hand.

<COMBAT> Moroko attacks Skath6 with Rifle AP - Light wound to Left Arm (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Moroko attacks Skath6 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Right Arm (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Lleufer fires fullauto!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath6 with Lmg Ap - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath6 with Lmg Ap - Moderate wound to Chest.

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath6 with Lmg Ap - Serious wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath8 with Lmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath8 with Lmg Ap - Moderate wound to Neck (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath8 with Lmg Ap - Moderate wound to Left Hand (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath10 with Lmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath10 with Lmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Stone fires fullauto!

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath10 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Right Arm (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath10 with Rifle Ap - Moderate wound to Right Arm (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath10 with Rifle Ap - Critical wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath11 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath11 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath11 with Rifle Ap - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath12 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath12 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath18 attacks Randy with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Fischer fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Skath14 with Rifle AP - Light wound to Left Arm (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Skath14 with Rifle AP - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Skath14 with Rifle AP - Serious wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Skath19 attacks Samuel with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath14 fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Skath14 attacks Fischer with LMG Tripod AP - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Skath14 attacks Fischer with LMG Tripod AP but MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath14 attacks Fischer with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath13 attacks Fischer with LMG Tripod AP - Light wound to Left Arm (Reduced by Cover).

<COMBAT> Skath12 fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Skath12 attacks Samuel with LMG Tripod AP but MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath12 attacks Samuel with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath12 attacks Samuel with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath11 attacks Randy with LMG Tripod AP - Moderate wound to Left Hand.

<COMBAT> Skath10 fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Skath10 attacks Leander with LMG Tripod AP - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Skath10 attacks Leander with LMG Tripod AP but MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath10 attacks Leander with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Leander fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Leander attacks Skath15 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Left Arm (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Leander attacks Skath15 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Leander attacks Skath15 with Rifle AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Clara fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Clara attacks Skath18 with Rifle AP - Light wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Clara attacks Skath18 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Clara attacks Skath18 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Right Hand (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Skath8 fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Skath8 attacks Clara with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath8 attacks Clara with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath8 attacks Clara with LMG Tripod AP - ARMOR on Head stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Skath6 fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Skath6 attacks Clara with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath6 attacks Clara with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath6 attacks Clara with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath20 fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Skath20 attacks Samuel with LMG Tripod AP but MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath20 attacks Samuel with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath20 attacks Samuel with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath17 attacks Miri with LMG Tripod AP - Light wound to Right Leg.

<COMBAT> Skath16 fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Skath16 attacks Leander with LMG Tripod AP - Light wound to Left Arm.

<COMBAT> Skath16 attacks Leander with LMG Tripod AP - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Skath16 attacks Leander with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath15 attacks Randy with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel fires fullauto!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath8 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath8 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath8 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath8 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath8 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath12 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath12 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath12 with Mmg Ap - Serious wound to Neck (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath12 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath10 has been KO'd!

<COMBAT> Skath15 has been KO'd!

<COMBAT> Skath18 has been KO'd!

The Skath fire isn't letting up. If anything its getting more intense. Another Raptor explodes from a missile and this one pops into the air and crashes down on its side, nearly hitting the one next to it. There's radio calls coming from the full-up Raptors and they begin lifting off, away from the burning sections. Meanwhile the ramps on six of the Rhinos are still down, held there with al Yamoha holding her rifle at the low ready, waiting for someone to try and raise them. She looks around the side of the Rhinos, though, and see's the Marines starting to fall back. Somehow, she breaks in on their radio frequency, "Flynn, Yamoha. We're out of time. Bringing the kids on. Its gonna be a tight fit, though!"

For those who are making their run for it, though, and heading back? They can see a dull glow of light from behind the Rhinos. There's shouting from the area and then there's the sight of figures in bedclothes running for the ramps on the ships. Some are carrying infants. Some as old as 18 or 19. Close to two hundred of them. That seems to reinvigorate some of the crews and the Rhinos turn their massive 30mm twin guns and begin firing everything over the heads of the MArines, chewing into the enemy lines.

As she helps Lleufer up, one of those motherfrakkers manages to shoot Miri in the leg. She hisses in pain, but wheels around to return fire. Frak this shit. "Move, move, move!" she shouts to the kids, trying to draw attention away from them.

Randy stops and turns out in the open to square up her rifle sights on one of the Skath Walkers, burst firing her rifle, two rounds in its chest and one hitting its arm. Meanwhile another round from a different Walker hits her left hand as she lets go of her rifle for a moment to shift her body. "FRAK!" she shouts and then hisses. Then she hears the Captain over the radio, which prompts her to deliver some new orders as she starts to haul ass back to the LZ, still shooting back at the Skath out in the open. Hey that wasn't her trigger hand so she's going to keep fighting!

[Into the Wireless] Randy says, "Captain, Flynn. That's the idea. We'll cover and pray there's still a ride left for us to jump on. Fall back team. Cover and load your butts up on a bird or you're not getting off this rock. Over!"

Those three strangers are sticking with Randy and Clara, moving them as they can and firing their Second War rifles, trying to cover the exfil. The woman with them keeps shouting at them to move.

Miri slaps a gel patch or something over his gut and Lleufer gives her a quick nod, gritting his teeth for a breath, "Fall back! They are about to take off!" He's heard Randy over the radio and motions to Miri to go, and Leander both! The Gunnery Sergeant will fall back with them but not without Lleu trying to give them some cover with the light machine gun while they run northwards. There's no cover up that way though, just open grass to reach the Rhinos and Raptors.

Taking a few shots, none of them serious, to his body, Fischer realizes this is the time to start moving back towards their rides out of this place. Getting to his feet, he starts moving backwards, firing as many bullets as he can at the Skath as he moves back.

"..I'm going in to help. Don't get killed." Just a handful of words from the S2, and instead of running toward the rhino, she charges in the other direction - trying to draw fire off Randy as she makes for the unarmed civilians frantically trying to herd children, babies onto imminently departing ships.

There's a grunt as the machine gun is pulled off the rock he was using. He starts to walk over to his transport, having only gone a few meters from it, bracing the beautiful piece of engineering against his arms as he heads for the door. "I got some more for ya assholes, but I'm afraid this is where we get off!" Samuel states a bit loudly as he goes.

Randy doesn't help with the children. Probably because she's too busy counting heads and trying not to search for her own children among those bewildered poor kids getting on the ship. She just covers them with her body and her firepower and might be looking a little pale for lack of blood, but she's got time. She hops on, one of the last, if not the last to make sure she's getting off Piraeus. As long as they don't get shot down.

Leander has just made it back to the next position when he hears the orders over the wireless. With incoming buzzing all around him, he pauses only long enough to be sure the others nearby have heard the order too, and then he's running back for the ship. "Come on Prax!" he yells at the dog, who is possibly the one who needs the least encouragement to leave. Together they run for the nearest Rhino's ramp.

Palermo runs for the transport with the last of the marines heading up the ramp.

<COMBAT> Skath11 fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Skath11 attacks Palermo with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath11 attacks Palermo with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath11 attacks Palermo with LMG Tripod AP - Light wound to Right Arm.

<COMBAT> Miri fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Miri attacks Skath13 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Right Leg (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Miri attacks Skath13 with Rifle AP - Critical wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Miri attacks Skath13 with Rifle AP - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Lleufer fires fullauto!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath17 with Lmg Ap - ARMOR on Right Arm stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath17 with Lmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath17 with Lmg Ap - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath17 with Lmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath17 with Lmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath20 with Lmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath20 with Lmg Ap but MISSES!

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath20 with Lmg Ap - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath20 with Lmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Fischer fires fullauto!

<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Skath13 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Right Hand (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Skath13 with Rifle AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Skath13 with Rifle AP - ARMOR on Left Arm stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Skath14 with Rifle AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Skath14 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Left Arm (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Skath14 with Rifle AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Skath16 with Rifle AP - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!

<COMBAT> Fischer attacks Skath16 with Rifle AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Stone fires fullauto!

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath11 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath11 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath11 with Rifle Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath13 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath13 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Abdomen.

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath13 with Rifle Ap - Serious wound to Left Arm (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath16 with Rifle Ap but MISSES!

<COMBAT> Stone attacks Skath16 with Rifle Ap - Light wound to Right Arm (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Skath16 fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Skath16 attacks Lleufer with LMG Tripod AP - Moderate wound to Left Arm.

<COMBAT> Skath16 attacks Lleufer with LMG Tripod AP - Light wound to Left Arm.

<COMBAT> Skath16 attacks Lleufer with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel fires fullauto!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath11 with Mmg Ap - Serious wound to Left Hand (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath11 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath11 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath11 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath11 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath13 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath13 with Mmg Ap - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath13 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Samuel attacks Skath13 with Mmg Ap and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Randy fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Randy attacks Skath14 with Rifle AP - Serious wound to Right Hand (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Randy attacks Skath14 with Rifle AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Randy attacks Skath14 with Rifle AP - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Skath14 fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Skath14 attacks Clara with LMG Tripod AP - Light wound to Neck (Reduced by Armor).

<COMBAT> Skath14 attacks Clara with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath14 attacks Clara with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath13 fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Skath13 attacks Clara with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath13 attacks Clara with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath13 attacks Clara with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath8 fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Skath8 attacks Clara with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath8 attacks Clara with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath8 attacks Clara with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath20 fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Skath20 attacks Leander with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath20 attacks Leander with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath20 attacks Leander with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath17 fires a 3 round burst!

<COMBAT> Skath17 attacks Leander with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath17 attacks Leander with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Skath17 attacks Leander with LMG Tripod AP and MISSES!

<COMBAT> Lleufer has been KO'd!

<COMBAT> Skath11 has been KO'd!

<COMBAT> Skath13 has been KO'd!

<COMBAT> Skath14 has been KO'd!

After firing at the incoming Skath, Miri limps her way to the Rhino. She barely makes it in time, falling to the deck as she gets on. Time to stick herself with something good. Yeah. That helps. Oh. Right. I'm bleeding. I'll live. Lazy, hazy, slap something on the leg, fall asleep on the floor.

<COMBAT> Lleufer spends a luck point to keep fighting!

Clara shoves people on board the rhinos. Physically if need be. And then goes back for more. At first, her quick reflexes help her make short work of the skath firing on her. Then a few rounds catch her in the leg, and her knee buckles out from under her. She hollers at a crying girl - no more than seven or eight - with an infant in her arms, to 'get the frak on the ship' even as the ramp is lifting. She doesn't have time to turn around and see if they made it, as more rounds rip through her body and knock her to the ground. She won't make the last ship, that much is blatantly obvious. It's unclear whether she's even trying, or just focused on covering the ships' egress with what little firepower her rifle can provide. The last thing she does is fling one grenade, then the other, into a line of advancing walkers.

With all the kids barely squeezed in, there's a lot of movement in the Rhinos. Most of the people riding back in them are Marines and a few of the armed cowboys. The kids look completely confused as to where they are or what's going on. At the bottom of the ramp, as things are starting to close up and the engines begin straining under the weight. al Yamoha and a few of her soldiers can be seen firing on full auto from kneeled positions, even the barrels of their rifles starting to glow on the medium machineguns. Even as Clara goes down, the ship is lifting off. The sound of rounds hitting the Rhinos is monstrous. A missile trail roars by, just barely missing the ramp. Below them, they can see the Ys'rali begin to fade away into nothing in the grass, still firing. Eventually the ramps lock closed, though the turrets on the Rhinos are still firing away at full auto.

Just before the ramps close they can see two of the trio, still visible, moving to Clara's side. One of them is still firing on full auto with the barrel glowing bright red-orange. Rounds are flying everywhere. The pilot slides in next to the fallen Marine and covers her up, all of them beginning to fade away just as the ramp locks.

<COMBAT> Randy treats Lleufer:

<COMBAT> Miri treats Miri:

<COMBAT> Fischer treats Fischer:

Randy is counting her people. The last things she remembers is Clara telling her she's going in, and Randy's count is one short. She immediately pushes past a kid to try and dart for the ramp as it starts to close, a wild terrified look in her eyes when she spots Clara out there…still on the surface..facing certain death! "Frak get out of my way!" Is she thinking of Jonesing out of that ramp while it's closing and lifting off? Likely. There's no hesitation…but…

Time and space mean absolutely nothing in the face of a friendship that didn't end just because one half of the BFF happened to die and the other half is still among the living. Dressed in fatigues that she wore in the last war, and still doing the job that needs doing, Kapali had been in and out of the mix with the rest of the Piraean forces. Without warning she appears right in front of Randy and rests both hands on her shoulders, stopping the forward charge of the littlest EOD. "No. Your job is here," she gives Randy a gentle shake to make sure she has Randy's attention. "Missed you," is said as she steps back, hoping it was enough - long enough - to keep Randy from leaping out of the Rhino.

From her spot on the floor, Miri groggily grabs at Randy's leg. "Godsdammit, Randy, she can resurrect. You can't. Your kids need you." And then Kapali is there. She grits her teeth, trying to keep a hold on Randy's leg.

Bullets fly everywhere and Lleufer almost made it to the ramp when he's hit multiple times. The Gunery Sergeant goes down, hitting the Pirean earth hard. But no sooner than he's faceplanted in the grass than rough hands haul his ass up the ramp as the Rhino is about to lift, dragging his 230 lbs plus all his gear up into the craft. Shot three times, Ynyr is in some pain as he lays there on the Deck, feeling the G's of hard lift and the air frame throttling up with a roar of the engines. Lleu breathes a bit hard and turns his head, "Llewellyn!" Breath, "Did anybody see my boy get loaded?" He grimaces, hurting and rolls onto his side.

The friendship may not last, but neither has the pain and anger and other things building up inside at the fact that it's been more than forty years and Randy hasn't seen her freind once, save for today. Save for right now. Randy can't move. Kapali buys Miri enough time to get hold of Randy's leg, and the EOD is too busy stuck in Kapali's moment as if she too were affected by that time and space junk, she's too busy looking angrily at Kapali. "Get the frak out of my way," she grits out….but it's too late. The ramp is closed. They've lifted off, and Kapali is already gone. Right about now she notices the Gunnery Sergeant bleeding all over the place. "This man needs a medic!" She stoops down to try and put pressure on Lleu's wounds, but one hand is shot and isn't helping much.

Fischer lets out a bit of a breath as he sees the ramp close, and the one still remaining outside. Managing to get the safety on the rifle, he removes his helmet, dropping them both to the deck as he finds something to stop the bleeding from his two relatively superficial wounds, only partially succeeding. "We…" he begins, as he slowly moves to seat himself there. "Relax…" he mutters to Lleufer, reaching out to pat the man on the shoulder. "Almost there…"

A frown comes to Samuels lips as his machine gun is checked and safetied. Putting the strap around his shoulders and snapping it to the backpack ammo reserve, Samuel glances about to everyone on board… looking very much like a grime and blood covered bundle of muscles as he heads for the rest of the squad, now. "That was interesting." A look is given to the other wounded, "Can't wait to do it again."

Relax?! The pain is really kicking in, agony. Lleu grinds his teeth but he doesn't hear anyone confirming as having seen his son. If he got off Piraeus, there's no telling which craft he loaded. Transport, Raptor, or one of the Rhinos. He can feel Randy applying pressure to one of his wounds as the medics work their way through.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License