MD #120: Capturing the Norton
Capturing the Norton
Summary: Orion Battlegroup folks storm an abandoned Arpay Carrier. Is it full of zombies? Well, IS IT??
Date: 06/08/2017 (OOC Date)
Related Logs: None
Becker Henry Stone Palermo Adeliza Lukes Randy Lleufer Numa 
The Norton (Arpay Carrier)
Its YUUUUUGE!
21/02/2029

**Editor's note: This group starts out together until they get to Engineering, then split off with one group heading to CIC, and then split yet again from there. This log has been divided into sections to follow those groups. The first section stays with the team that stayed in Engineering. The second log picks up where the CIC team split off and follows them. The last part follows the final split from where THEY split off, and follows through to the end.

There are two Raptors taking these crews to the Arpay Carrier 'Norton'. The mission isn't well advertised on the Orion but the Deck team would be blind to miss people in full combat kit over EVA suits getting into nuclear-armed Raptors and heading out. There's only so much firepower a Raptor can carry and it looks like the two departing are carrying everything that can be bolted to a person or wing hardpoint.

The flight out in the two Raptors takes a bit since the jumps go around the normal transit points from Piraeus and the Colonies. Four jumps later, they pop out fairly distant to the mothball fleet yard and circle around, looking for a way past the automated turret network. Out the canopy glass and door window, people can see the line of ships all hovering in place. Two of the behemoth Battleships, Baker Bay and Merom Gulf, as well as a heavy cruiser, three flak frigates, and some smaller patrol and surveillance/intelligence ships. The three Arpay ships, bristling with guns, sit at the end of the row. The Raptors come around the bottom of the line and find a hole six miles wide in the gun network, which is big enough for a small freighter to fit through easily, so the Raptors slip right in.

Heading for the Norton, the carrier is easily bigger than the Orion and the flight pods still appear to have some minimal power as the Raptors approach over the top of the stern. They roll to the right and come in on final for a modified combat landing. The tension on the flight crews is at a high level and nobody wants to get engaged by those turrets. But the Raptor crews head right for the flight deck and touch down, skids doing their job to cushion it. Ahead of them, though, they can see large combat transports parked in a line as if waiting for crews. Their dark green hulls still have Arpay markings and numbers on them. Missiles are still sitting on the racks.

The flight deck is exposed to space, though, which means full EVA for the moment. The hatch to take them down to the hangar deck is fifty yards ahead of them under a red LED exit lamp.

Off on an adventure! Numa, geared up to the eyeballs, looks completely ridiculous, like a kid playing dressup-soldier or something. Her blonde hair is stuffed, somewhat haphazardly under her helmet, just wayward tendrils escaping here and there. She really did try to tame it though. Cramped in the Raptor, her left knee jiggles up and down, constantly, the whole ride. It literally doesn't stop from the time they sit down to the time they land on the Arpay ship. She also spends pretty much the entire trip mumbling under her breath as she looks around, watching everything and everyone and trying her best to do it all at the same time. Straining to look out of windows. The little rifleman is quite literally that hyperactive child on a road trip, short of asking 'Are we there yet?'.

Lukes isn't ECOing a Raptor. Not in this gear. She's going aboard and looks a little nervous about this. This wasn't in the job description and the most exciting thing she ever did for the fleet, before sinking a carrier, was fly an Admiral from A to B. This is a little different. She isn't used to full bodyarmor and a rifle. She mostly stares at the ECO panel over the crewmember's shoulder, looking at everything from there. "Big sons of bitches," she whispers, looking at the old Battleships. Once they land, though, she'll hop out of the Raptor and find a nice, comfortable place in between the group of Marines. Nope, she's not even going to try to be out front. But her eyes are lingering on the combat transports lined up. Something about this doesn't sit well.

In space, 6 miles is nothing. A very tight fit, but easier when you are on a Raptor instead of the Orion. Lleufer Ynyr is seated and strapped inback and can't see much. But he can feel the tension in the pilot and ECO. He draws a long, slow breath as they move in ever closer and closer to the Norton and begin to ease over her stern. Easy to blow them to Hades on the approach and not make it messy, but it seems the Raptors are able to make it into the flight deck. The Gunnery Sergeant lets out that breath slowly when they make it that far. Then he seals his helmet, unwebs and takes his rifle, ready to disembark as soon as the Raptor's hatch opens. Ynyr is, as always, happy to take point and check to see if everything is clear - but he'll do whatever Randy orders.

Like any other mission where Palermo isn't driving, planning to drive, guiding or planning to assist in navigation, or manning a weapons console, Palermo has her eyes closed and is calmly waiting for the raptor to arrive at the point B of the A to B transition. In transit, she's as useful as anyone else to the flight crew, which is to say: not at all. So it isn't until the Raptor makes it's landing that she bothers to open her eyes again, unfasten the safety harness and rise to her feet, checking over her gear arranged over the EVA suit with calm hands one more time as she queues up to disembark.

As is usual for him, Stone is silent and focusing. In full gear and just sitting quietly. Eyes studying each of the people with him on the raptor. Taking his rifle and once fully ready, moving out as well. Waiting on Randy's orders before he'll advance.

Hardsuits aren't anything new for people in Engineering, and Henry just keeps to the window with a dataslate in one hand. He's carrying a backpack and his sidearm besides, but not much else. Henry looks like he's making notes as they flying, then making more as they land. "Superstructure seems mostly intact. This might have a chance of being useful, assuming we don't get assassins on board."

Randy's already suited up in her EVA rated bomb suit. She looks like a burnt space marshallow thing. It's black and gray, incredibly bulky, and looks more like ancient space suits in that regard…or even bulkier given all the armor it's packing. She's carrying a special sidearm meant to be used with the gloves on with an extra large finger guard and there's a large-ish hard case camped out under her boots. There just isn't enough room in the Raptor for it to be anywhere else. She's even already locked down her helmet. Her hair is tied back at the nape of her neck, just long enough to do so. It's clear by her gear, she'll be relying on the team to keep her safer if there's combat. "Alright, Marines. You know the drill. Boots on the deck first, fan out and secure the immediate area /and/ the transports. Those of you who have been on missions like this before, please take the initiative to keep your fellow Marines in line if you see something suspicious. Call it out over comms, back away, and I'll come check it out. Ynyr, I want you on point for this one…Flight, can we scan these transports before we put boots on deck please?"

Becker is used to working on Raptors, not riding in them, and she certainly hasn't worn an EVA suit since basic. The blonde mechanic is quiet and serious, trying to observe as much as she can through the cockpit canopy. More than anything, she notices the Raptor has a slight rattle to it. She makes a mental note to take a look at this when they get back. When it's time, she gets her rifle and follows the Marines, sticking close to Henry. He's the engineer. She's the greasemonkey.

Adeliza sits strapped in her seat, quiet with her hands on her knees as she's given up trying to clasp them together. she's not as heavily armed as the marines on board, but she's. or completely without firearms. her data pad is strapped to her Eva suit and she is one of the last to stand when they land, waiting for the combat personnel to leave first

The Raptor crew in the lead turns the recon package on the Arpay combat transports. The ECO in the backseat speaks over the low poer radio, "Lieutenant Flynn, it looks like the transports are cold. They've been shut down for some time. No life support active. But the missiles on those rails are a combination of tactical non-nuclear and armor-piercing torpedos. The latter are the kind the Arpay use to blow a hole in a ship in order to board it without hatch access. Everything else says its quiet out here, over."

Numa pops to her feet like a jack-in-the-box when Randy gives the order to disembark, fumbling a bit with her helmt before locking it in place and making her way down to the Deck. She forces herself to stand still long enough to give the area a thorough sweep before moving forward. She tries to keep out the way, but moving in all this gear is not as easy as everyone else makes it look and she starts muttering under her breath again, sort of sing-song as her eyes look for things. Gloved hands readjust their grip on her rifle.

You bet your ass cheeks that Lleu's looking in the direction of those troop transports and must have his brain connected to Randy's. They seem to share the same thought. He looks back and nods to her, "Yes, sir." A glance to Numa, she being a little worrisome, and then he motions her and Palermo to spread out as he takes point to lead the way to checking the Flight Deck - and those transports. Only, then unsurprisingly turn out to be locked. Ynyr can't do anything about that without the key codes so he moves on, even if their presance makes the fine little hairs down his back prickle. Wondering if they are full of idle Skath machines waiting to power up. With the light machine gun in his hands, Lleu moves cautiously and alert, but efficiently as they work their sweep. The Gunnery Sergeant keeps tabs on places he could take cover, or places stuff like bombs might be wired, and what the rest of his team is doing and their locations.

Lukes hears the radio call from the ECO and doesn't take her eyes off the transports, not heading that way. Nope, she's not going anywhere unless she's told.

Stepping out into the deck proper, Henry is still taking notes as he looks around the flight deck. He ignores most of the others for now, mainly interested in building a report of observations for later sorting. The transports get a glance, but nothing more. If something was hot there, instruments would have found it. "Hmmm." Henry gives… mostly to himself, as they start heading into the ship proper.

Becker looks around in curious wonderment, but shakes herself out of it, adjusting her toolkit and making herself stay on task. As they move from the flight deck to the hangar, she keeps her eyes peeled. She knows hangars.

As she waits for the answer to Flynn's request, Adeliza brings her tablet around to tap in a couple of messages. she's double checked her suit and helmet to make sure she's sealed tight, and now she's ready to move forward once the others begin down in their formation. Her head turns, then her body, as they walk so that she can look around the entire deck around her. She keeps close to the Raptor as the marines check for traps or try to open the docked ships

Angling a nod at Ynyr, the motion exaggerated because of the EVA suit, Palermo moves away from the rest of the team and follows Numa along the cold surface of the deck. The rifle worn cross body, clipped to her gear with tactical sling, is held steady with both hands, the flashlight mount clipped in position as well to pan the beam along the hulls of the three Arpay ships with their bristling guns. She tips her head back inside the helmet and stares upward, panning the beam toward the ceiling as well.

"Flight. Thank you." Randy is last out of her Raptor in terms of the Marines. It's just easier for everyone to move around her than deal with the bulky obstruction. She drops down first and then pulls her case down from the Raptor. "Flight crew form up with me. Marines will be keeping us safe, but arms out," aka, weapons. With the case in one hand, she draws her sidearm and starts waddling, likely with the flight crew in tow, in the direction of the hangar deck. She notices how Lleufer moves without going inside the transports, putting two and two together that he can't get inside. "On to the hangar deck," she offers over comms, probably more for the flight crew's benefit than the Marines, since they're pretty much on autopilot with Ynyr leading the way. "Captain Lamsburg. Do you know the way to Engineering on these ships?" Because Randy knows they're going to need to do more checks there than CIC likely, or she's guessing. "We can hit up engineering and leave you some Marines on our way to CIC," she explains over comms for the benefit of everyone hearing the possible plan.

Stone does follow along, moving to check on the area, finding what is locked and what is not. Listening to Randy while letting his eyes scan and keep them at alert. Never knowing what hides. Hearing Randy speaking. "In that case, let us make sure that it is clear. If comms work fine, then we can still keep contact between the groups." He offers to Randy. Letting the others make the decisions for now, but he is ready to move out.

"These are all locked up tight, Flynn. Can't get'm open without the keycodes. Gives me the jeebies to leave them without making sure they are empty, but … " He shrugs. What can you do? Lleufer makes sure the other Marines don't miss any section and then motions them to head for the hangar. He, Palermo, and Numa can range out ahead to make sure the way is clear before the rest follow. Randy is covering their butts. Ynyr makes no comment upon her plan so he's not objecting.

"I have a good idea where to go, yes. We have a generic schematic for this class in the database, but I can't say if they modded this one." Henry replies as he taps his dataslate some more. "Never thought my first look at an Arpay ship would be salvage, but I'll take it."

Moving through the airlock cycling from the flight deck, the team moves down a wide corridor that is lit by low-power LEDs that leaves plenty of long shadows. According to the readings, the air is stale but breathable, but its only about ten degrees above freezing and the air is zero humidity. The tunnel takes them right to hangar deck access after very large freight elevator down. So far the signs of power are not bad.

When the elevator opens they are left to exit onto the hangar deck. There's a single LED lit on the floor every fifty feet but no other lights. When they flip on the flashlights, though, they get a better idea of what they are looking at. It might be a little chilling to see. Potentially horrific if they think about it too hard. As far as the flashlights can see down the cavernous hangar deck, there are bays with the noses of undamaged Hornet fighters, bombers, smaller transports, and tactical attack spacecraft poking out. Their canopies are shuttered and covered and tied down with mats. Missile and gun trucks are lined up in neat rows along with start carts, fueling hoses are hung neatly, and everything looks orderly. The exit towards the halls and engineering is down at the end, about two hundred meters away. Its a long walk in the dark.

<FS3> Becker rolls Repair: Success.
<FS3> Becker rolls Repair: Success.
<FS3> Becker rolls Repair: Success.

Wash, rinse, repeat. But this time, no spooky troop transports. Ynyr uses hand signals to motion Palermo to start down one side, Numa the other, and he'll go down the middle to try and cover them both as they sweep through. Lleu flashes his lamp down the row of cockpits briefly but no Machine would fit into them to fly those babies. Still, it's erie, and a little sad thinking about the Arpay who aren't here manning this ship. "Make sure to check the fuel lines. See anything fishy, sing out." He too moves foward, checking things, shining his gun mounted light this way and that as they go.

"Good. The important bits should be roughly the same, at least for the drives and such." Really can't mod those to a different part of the ship afterall. "We aren't splitting up Stone. Protective formation bookending the flight crew. If the clearing detachment hits trouble, we'll shift firepower as needed," she informs. It's probably only a slight adjustment or a miscommunication on her part, making sure they're all on the same page. After they move through the airlock and on to the freight elevator. "Any readings on air here?" With her large Arpayish eyes, she keeps an eye out along the way, stepped out to the side of the formation so she can see further when they move. She quickly scans the hangar deck when flashlights bathe it in a dim, narrow slices of light. She tries to listen for anything out of place among the sounds of their feet on the deck, a switch, a distinct shuffle, anything. She doesn't add to Lleufer's instructions, seemingly satisfied.

Lukes clicks on her light and looks over the long line of craft. She stands very still, staring at them and everything staged like that. Only after the others start moving does her brain start working. "This is a lot of firepower. If the other hangar deck on the other flight pod looks like this, it could be a full airwing. …Why would they have a full airwing? Didn't they fight?" she wonders aloud as she walks, looking over the munitions trucks.

"It looks like everything has been wrapped up for the night, as if it's waiting for the crew to wake up," Liza breathes to herself, her comms shut off for the moment. Her shoulders hunch slightly as if she feels the presence of the Arpay that snugged everything all snug in their beds. Her eyes travel over the supplies all coiled neatly, and a frown begins to furrow her forehead. "As the old saying goes," she murmurs louder, still mostly to herself, though, giving herself a visible shake.

"And if they didn't fight to the last man and woman, then what could have been disastrous enough to have swept through the entire ship and disable everyone so fast?" Palermo question comes close on the heels of the one that Lukes asks and a half moment after Liza's as well. She continues to pan the beam of the torch up toward the ceiling and around again as the team moves.

For his part, Henry stays back and keeps taking notes. "I'll take a look at the logs once we're in Engineering." Not willing to engage in idle speculation, looks like.

Becker heads over to one of the Hornets, climbs up on the wing and managing to pop open the avionics panel. She does her best, but she can't read Arpay. "This ship was last shut down three years ago. Not ready to scramble, she's got bingo fuel. Looks more like storage than anything." She wrinkles her nose at the readouts. "This is weird. The crew chief signature is just a number — two. Is this, like, the Line Two, or a Cylon thing?" She hops down, looking around. "To me, it looks like this was all set up with the intention of coming back to her, sirs," she concludes, pointing to the missile and munitions trucks parked along the rows.

Lleufer doesn't look back towards Lukes, "It's a good question. Why would the Arpay leave these here and not fully decommission them, stripped of everything they could use on a newer ship and then blow this? If it wasn't decomissioned, then what happened to her crew and why weren't these ships used in the fighting? Nobody just parks fully armed and kitted out ships in space where just anybody could take them or strip them. The APF for example would have a field day in here." So yeah, it bothers the Gunnery Sergeant too. Spooky questions without answers as yet. Becks draws his attention, "Only three years ago??" Then a sharp look to Randy. That's way too recently.

Numa tucks herself in behind Lleufer, not so close as to be ineffective, but close enough. "Frakkin' creepy isn' it?" She murmers, asking no one in particular. "Like a super giant haunted house project… man, this is /a-may-zing/…" She shivers despite the layers and layers of gear she's got on. But her nerves only seem to give her fuel as she forges forward in the face of creepy. Branching off a little to peer carefully inside the bays, checking behind things and generally being a complete nosy parker. Still manages to keep a close eye on her teams progress, though and doesn't let herself fall behind as they move forward.

Stone does listen, nodding and moving with care, holding point and listen, "I'm ready to move out whenever you are." He assures the others, just making sure to keep an eye out for trouble still.

Lleufer adds after checking one of the fuel lines and taps a guage, "These all seem to be empty. Why would they leave fighter craft and everything armed, but no fuel. That makes no sense."

"Neither the Cylons nor the Lines would hurt us. We don't know if Twos have been used by Ones yet. It's possible it's a Skath-One thing. It's possible they didn't have enough people to man it after a major attack. They downsized to go on the run, hoping they could come back here one day. They'd take the fuel in that case, because they'd need as much as they could get." Randy seems to have a possible answer for everything, as if she's just plucking them out of the air, but she doesn't sound /satisfied/ by the happy answer, clearly keeping her mind open. She doesn't reveal /why/ this might not be alarming to her, but then there's been a lot of compartmentalized crazy information floating around depending on what mission people have been on. Maybe she knows something other people don't? "Doesn't tell us anything either way. Stay alert. Good find Becker." Spotting the labeling for Engineering, Randy just keeps on moving once everyone has done their cursory inspections.

"If it's too good to be true," Adeliza says to Palermo. "it's like this has been gift wrapped for us. Full compliment of everything we could use, hidden behind a cracked shall…" She stops as she hears the report from the repair woman. "Three years, crewman Becker?" she asks over comma for confirmation. She stands still for the moment, then she pulls up her data tablet to tap onto the screen.

"If you're doing long term storage, you don't leave fuel around to spark in case something goes wrong." Henry gives in an aside to Lleufer, "ordinance is very controlled, so very little risk of issues there. Fuel… is another matter." Henry continues on, making notes.

Becker pats the cover on the ship's canopy. "We use stuff like this when we're storing ships," she tells Lleufer. When Wynn asks for clarification, she replies over the comms, "Yes, sir, three years. But these trucks make me think this ship might not be abandoned. It looks like someone still is using this hangar." She hops down off of the ship and heads back to form up on Flynn. This realization gives her the willies.

The whole hangar deck looks much the same. Even the cranes overhead look to have been greased and then placed up into locked storage positions. Nothing here looks to be out of place. Its like walking through a tomb devoid of people, a place frozen in time. When they reach the exit, they move through the main interior halls of the ship.

The interior looks similar to what the Colonials build with their ships. Load bearing structures obey the same laws of physics and most of the walls are similarly barren and utilitarian. There seems to be absolutely nothing here, though. The sound of their boots echoes through the empty corridors and the stale, cold air. The long walk to Engineering, deep in the bowels of the rear, takes about ten minutes with clearing the corridors. There's just -nothing-. The hatches all seem to still be locked with their keypads powered down. There's no way to look inside or even tell what might be in here. Just more hallways unless they want to seriously deviate.

Reaching Engineering, there are clear signs for those that can read Arpay. 'ID Required At All Times' is plastered everywhere. There are hot and cold warning labels on more of the pipes and everything seems to be more accessible in the wider hallways. The flooring has even changed to grated steel that allows them to looks down and see more pipes and electrical switching boxes beneath them. Back here, though, there are a few more lights. The little LEDs don't provide much but it ensures that when one steps out of the light of one they can at least see the next one to get to. Its a longer wind and more corners provide more potential for ambush back here. The whole ship's engineering section is a maze for anyone who doesn't know the layout. But when they find the main Engineering Control Room, the door isn't locked. The keypad has a small battery rigged up to it with a dangling usb port. The heavily armored hatch is left open ajar, too.

"Maybe." A nod to what Henry says. Becks gets another look at 'looks like someone still using the hangar'. Lleufer gets quiet, focusing back on finishing up their sweep and ready to move onto the next section. He's very watchful, alert, and settles on listening as he gets to the far end and presses onward. Everything they pass is checked, peered into when possible, and eventually they make it to engineering. The Marines go first, doing their sweep and where he can read labels he does so but doesn't speak them aloud. Ynyr stops cold when he sees the battery rigged and the hatch up ahead. Softly he passes back over their radio coms, "Flynn, the Engineering Control Room hatch is ajar up ahead. Something's wired up to the keypad. Everybody, on alert. You want me to check it out, or EOD first?"

Blink. Then Henry is pulling something out of his backpack. One end of the device has a USB hookup, with a reader on the other end. "It doesn't look like a bomb of any kind, but if you want to check it, feel free. I'm going to check the access logs after."

Stone does move along, covering the backs of the others for the time being. In case something is to jump out at them. Following along toward engineering. Letting others keep an eye in front. Kneeling and being ready. "I'll keep position here." He offers to Randy, seeing if she is agreeable to that. As Henry seem to be checking things out in front.

Numa just follows along. The signs don't mean anything to her because she doesn't speak Arpay. Not beyond maybe one or two words she might've picked up - probably cuss words. At least she's stopped talking to herself for the time being, just looking around, being watchful, paying attention. Like a good little Marine.

<FS3> Randy rolls Demolitions: Good Success.

Palermo nods to Adeliza, "Exactly," she agrees in a low voice and, as the rest of the team advances forward, she angles a nod at her fellow sergeant and slows her steps as well until she lags back a pace then two. Falling back to the rear of the group and takes up position a few paces between Stone and the rest of the group, establishing a two-marine fall back perimeter. She keeps an eye on the length of the area they've traversed thus far and keeps skimming a look upward along the dimly light ceiling then back down and around again.

"Let me look first. Can you get everyone back? Just in case." Randy works with Lleu more like a peer than an officer issuing orders to an enlisted. It might be a little jarring to those who have been…well, anyone who hasn't witnessed it before. "Aye Captain, but the best ones look benign. Could just be set to give a feedback charge." As people move back, she sets down her case and holsters her sidearm. Then she opens up the case and pulls out a voltmeter and a few other tools to start 'safely' checking what's going on. She pulls out a a telescoping mirror, small and thin, and puts that through to see what she can see. It's a lot lighter gear than something with full audio visual digital capabilities. Then she quietly pulls back, puts her devices back in the case. She moves away and gives a hand signal to Lleufer and the Marines to go ahead and clear it. "It's dark inside. Lights on." She switches the light attachment on her sidearm on, a non-standard attachment for a non-standard weapon. "Nothing booby trapped. Just a rig to bypass and gain access."

Given the all clear, Henry casually heads up to the keypad and plugs in. Some readings pop up, and Henry starts to flick over the device as he calls up information. "I can confirm someone is using this place. Last access was One hour 47 minutes since last. This is colonial tech." Henry confirms for the rest of the group. As they start to pile on. "I'll need to get access to the control network to get an idea of what they're doing here."

Waiting in the back, a good distance away from the door, Becker waits for the all clear. She breathes a sigh of relief when it's given, switching on her light and following the Marines into the room.

With Stone in back to watch their butts, Lleufer makes room to let Randy pass through and come ahead. He motions the others back just a bit in the event Randy finds something the hard way, but he remains close enough to give her fire support should that hatch get jerked open suddenly. No problem following her orders but the Gunny's also being careful. He lifts his light machine gun, ready to fire upon the hatch if she gets knocked back and anything tries to come through that choke point. His Arpay senses are sharp, focused on what is up ahead while others keep lookout behind. A curt nod to Randy when she tells them to clear it. A hand signal for the Marines to follow him in. Then Ynyr goes to shove the hatch open and head on in fast, LMG up and ready, clearing the hatch at once and heading to one side before he moves swiftly, pointing his weapon every direction his eyes move, sweeping. Yep, he looks like he's completely expecting to run into APF or Clerics, now.

When the door is kicked, it doesn't go far. The door is almost six inches thick of reinforced armor plating, but the hinges are extremely well balanced and greased so it does move. As the Marines pile in and start clearing at a clip of a pace, the have a tough time seeing because just about everything is dark. There are no overhead lights on anywhere. As they move, the lead Marines can get to the other end of the 'battle bridge of Engineering' and find it clear.

Looking around, the room is about thirty feet wide and fifteen feet long. The walls are lined with darkened consoles and chairs tucked and locked in front of them. But inside here, nothing is shot up or destroyed. Everything looks completely intact. Its the Engineering mirror of the hangar deck. Everything seems to be perfectly in its place… except for two consoles. One of them is a wall unit with two green-lit LEDs. The other console is another wall access across the room that is fully lit up with dials, lockable levers, and several green lights lit up. Sitting at the base of it is a small toolkit that looks greasy and well-used, the words 'Remway Shipping' sewn in with the logo.

Dials, levers and tools? Becker's interest is piqued. Once the Marines are well into the room, she heads over to take a look at the setup, and the tools. "Does the name 'Remway Shipping' mean anything to any of you?" she asks.

Something familiar! Clearing rooms. That's something Numa actually knows how to do. And she does so with well practiced attention to detail, moving quickly despite the surplus of gear she wears. However, she's back to murmering under her breath again, very softly, as her eyes scan, peering into the nooks and crannies that her headlamp exposes in brief flashes of light. Once everything is actually clear, she falls back a little and stands watchful while the brainy types do their thing. She doesn't pay any attention to what they're talking about, too busy watching the shadows and wondering about things to herself.

Sharing another nod with Stone, Palermo backs slowly toward the hatch once the door is kicked in, and for a moment there's a fierce grin on her face, followed by a breath that's almost a chuckle. Some times just seeing a door kicked in makes this marine happy. She slows to a halt just outside the hatch, waiting as Lleu then Numa step through and only then does she follow suit, moving cautiously but clearing the corners and sweeping a look up and around then forward again, step by step.

Once the marines are inside, Henry wastes no time on chitchat, the Engineer going directly for the panels and checking their information. He leans forward then, looking at the first panel with a glance… then his eyes narrow at the second panel. He looks at Renway shipping, then back to the panel again. "We have a fuel offloader here. Given the data, someone else found this thing very recently and decided to strip it for fuel. I have control of the tank values from here, but that'd probably alert whoever is doing this."

"Do not power /anything/ up until you've checked for tampering. Anything that looks out of place or like it has been disturbed, you do not chance it. Captain, you're familiar with sabotage sweeps, so you'll be leading that in engineering. I'll be working CIC with the flight crew. If you need my assistance or you find anything, just speak up," she briefs the non-marines while they wait for the Marines to give the all clear. "Likewise, we'll be inspecting after we power up to see changes in systems. We need to take this one step at a time. And stay vigilant. It's possible whoever's been sticking around is still here. We don't need to lose anyone on this mission." Once the all clear is given, Randy waddles into engineering and says, "Palermo, Stone. Stay here and cover engineering. Dragostae, Ynyr, you're with me and the flight crew to CIC. The Captain is in charge of all non-combat related engineering activities. He says jump, you say how high, but your job is to keep this area safe and secure /first/." She doesn't bother sticking around. Instead, she motions to the others and starts waddling on her way. "Some space trucking company," she says as an afterthought to Becker. "Can't believe they are still around..unless that's second hand….let's keep them on low alert and try to not do anything that would alert this person till we have complete control of CIC as well Captain," she says as she vacates into the corridor.

Once the Marines are all inside, and the door is still open, Adeliza steps to the opening and looks in, watching Henry go about his business, and the various personnel fan out. She finally reaches for her own flashlight, and flicks it on, playing the beam before her. As Randy exits to lead the way to CiC, she falls in behind, her light down to her side and turned out so that she won't interfere with the other's view.

*** At this point, the party splits off

"Yes, sir," Becker replies to Randy, checking the panel and levers for tampering. When she's checking near the floor, she takes a moment to paw through the toolkit on the floor.

"Alright. I'm going to be calling up status and doing some passive work here." Henry gives a thumbs up to the others. "From all indications, this is a salvager. Probably be easy to deal with." With that, Henry gets to work, his backpack pulled off as he starts to run passive hardware checks.

Palermo sweeps another look around the cavernous type room then back around to the captain, "If it's easy to deal with, sir, then is there some sort of alarm rigged to it that would remote to the person who's set all this up?" is wondered by the marine sergeant as she continues to move around.

<FS3> Henry rolls Repair: Good Success.
<FS3> Becker rolls Repair: Good Success.

Engineering, once the rest of the crew leaves, really takes on a rather quiet tone - on the Orion, with the reactors and primary engines going, you're never really in quiet. HERE, it just adds to the 'spooky' aspect. Massive capital ships should not be this dead. While Henry and Becker work, their movement casts the occassional flicker to the shadows thrown across the room, but for the Marines, the four do at least still seem to be alone. Maybe.

The console isn't booby-trapped! This pleases Becker. With this reassuring knowledge in mind, she starts to fiddle with the console, seeing what kind of information she can pull up.

Click click, swipe, click. Henry runs through various tools on the panels as he works. "It's the first thing I did. So far, nothing seriously untoward." Then, Henry looks to Becker, "Petty Officer Becker, are you familiar with wormhole or FTL drives for a ship this size enough to do inspections?"

After a moment Stone does move to secure the hatch. Gesturing toward Palermo that he's got this point, allowing her to be freed up. "How's it going?" He asks to Henry and Becker as well.

<FS3> Palermo rolls Alertness: Good Success.

"I've never worked with wormhole drives, but FTL is FTL, no matter the size of the vessel. I'll come over and have a look, sir." Becker reluctantly heads away from her delightful glowing dials and levers, giving Stone a thumbs up as she passes. "No secret deathtraps yet," she tells him chirpily. She sidles up to Henry's terminal and checks on the status of the FTL drive.

<FS3> Stone rolls Alertness: Success.

For the moment, things do remain quiet, with the displays happily spitting out status information that Henry and Becker are asking for. No klaxons are going off, no sudden signs of any else spying on them, just a lot of manmade illumination brightening the engineer and deckies faces while the Marines keep a watchful eye.

"I need to do some visual inspections of the drives, we're getting non-standard readouts from the secondary generator and wormhole." Henry taps his foot briefly, before he nods a bit. "Let me know what you see on the secondary generator, Becker. I'll check the wormhole drive." With that, Henry grabs his tools and starts to head for it, inspecting for where the modification is.

Sharing another nod with Stone as he takes up point at the hatch, Palermo moves her shoulders inside the EVA suit, tips her head slightly from side to side then nods at the Captain before she looks around again. Big open space full of stuff, check. Lots of machinery and equipment, check. The marine sighs, quietly, and starts a slow circuit of the room, checking for trip wires, other stuff rigged that looks out of place, eyeing the shadows and up at the rafters then down around again, rifle held ready.

Tap tap tap. Tappity tap. "Okay, so the FTL primary and backup look fine…" Becker furrows her brow in concentration. "But we're going to need to get the primary reactors online in order to spool her up to jump." Tap tap. Tappity. "I think I can get the drives up and running in about an hour after we get the reactors online, though, and then it'll just take however long it takes to plot a jump. Ten minutes?" She tries to roll her neck in the EVA suit. It's getting stiff. "I'm going to figure out how to get the primary online, with your permission, sir."

Stone tries to find something to lay on one side of the hatch until Palermo is back, to suggest a rifle barrel. While he checks and stay out of sight. Not paying too much attention to what the others are doing, focusing on the task at hand. "Stay alert." He offers to Palermo. "I don't like when things are too quiet." He admits.

<FS3> Palermo rolls Alertness: Great Success.
<FS3> Stone rolls Alertness: Failure.

On the status display, a few indicators change, indicating a heavier drain on the secondary generator: CIC computers have started to come online and Astrometrics/Navigation has started up. Clearly the flight crew made it to CIC…we hope. As for the Marines, well, Stone might hear nothing but crickets, but…

Randy pages Henry, Becker, Palermo, Stone, and Petra: "Alright, as soon as I give the Captain the signal to shut off the fuel siphoning, Marines, we're going to find where these people boarded from the tanker. Should be," Randy gives the side the tanker ought to be on. Yep, she studied the schematics, because people can make bombs out of ships, and she needed to know where she was going. She's saying this on open comms so that the Marines and the Captain can hear it. "We move fast and quiet. If we encounter someone, do not shoot unless shot upon, but knockouts and detaining without warning is fair game. When the Captain shuts off the fuel siphoning, they will likely send someone out to fix it. Palermo, Stone, I want you to detain whoever is sent out to Engineering to fix the siphoning issue. Do not risk lives, ours or their's. Follow my lead if there's any talking to be done. Captain, please go ahead and turn off the fuel siphoning. Standby for warming the reactors and spooling FTL. We don't want to send the whole crew your way or spook them off. CIC, lock down CIC once we leave and holler if you run into any sabotage in your sweeps. This place is well fortified. You should be good. Let's go Marines."
Randy pages Henry, Becker, Palermo, Stone, and Petra: That was said over open comms…Henry, you have go ahead on stopping the fuel siphoning.

"Hold," Palermo's voice is quiet but carries over the com channel everyone is joined to, she remains near the hatch but stares toward where she'd picked up secondary noise. She tips her head for the moment while listening to the group comm as well then voices, "I heard a secondary com unit squawk in here."

"We can turn on the generators anytime, I'm just waiting for the marines to finish their CIC sweep and tell me we're clear." Henry states as he inspects the wormhole drive. Eventually, he makes a face. "Ok, so this is a bust. We'll have to keep this shut down until I can get some people over here to test this thing."

Then, the status displays change, and Henry looks over in that direction. With a grunt, he looks over to the secondary generator, "Somethings keeping it from full power, so whatever it is isn't superficial. We'll need to deal with it later." Then, the radio turns back on. "Copy." Then, Palermo says hold, and he moves to cover before he watches.

From afar (to Randy, Becker, Palermo, Stone, and Petra), Henry opens the radio, "Copy." A few seconds later. "Comm unit in here, waiting for marines to give all clear before I shut off the siphon."

Stone reacts to Palermo words, raising his rifle to try and se if anyone is incoming. Not a triggerhappy person, but he need to make sure that the enemies don't start shooting right away. "Update?" He asks Palermo.

When Becker hears Flynn over the comms, she freezes. She takes a few breaths, remembering her training, and finds some cover. She crouches down and waits for further orders.

Palermo steps over to Stone and confers for a moment, "If there's someone waiting in here, then they'd be aware of our ingress," stating the potential obvious while the variables play out. "One handset doesn't mean a dozen, but it means at least one. Stay to the side of the hatch, disable and detail if possible," She moves quietly around the immediate area again then back around to position herself between Lamsburg & Becker, "Alright, be ready to hit the deck at my word," she advises in a low voice, rifle held in steady hands, staring into the darkness after flipping off the flashlight she'd had on until this moment. No reason to put a spotlight on her position at this point.

Palermo hastily adds, "Go ahead and throw the switch or what ever it is, sir, that'll probably draw 'em out anyway."

"On it." Henry starts to quietly dart over to the panel as the marines cover him, and inputs the commands to shut off the siphon.

While the sound hasn't repeated itself, Henry is able to make his way over to the primary flow control station and physically shut off the siphoning valve, which really makes the area just a little bit more quiet. For a little bit at least. Maybe 30 seconds or so of silence, and then they can all hear it faintly in the distance: Another radio squelch, and it aint theirs. With the echoing of the ship's hallway, its pretty impossible to tell how many, but one thing is for sure…its getting closer.

That done, Henry gets into cover and pulls his sidearm, listening and waiting quietly.

Becker tenses at the sounds coming from the hallway. She grips her rifle, going over firing drills in her head. Hopefully they're friendlies. She prays that they're friendlies.

Since at least Becker can probably still see the display out of the corner of her eye, an indicator changes on the status panel, showing that the power demand from CIC is approaching capacity - the secondary generator isn't going to be able to keep up if the system keeps powering up. Either shut something off, or turn the primary reactors on, before the computer failsafe kicks in and something automatically gets shut off.

Of course, to add to that complication, the occassional radio squelch is still happening. Unfortunately, its a big ship. While they dont sound like they are right outside the door, SOMEONE is close.

From afar (to Randy, Becker, Palermo, Stone, Lleufer, and Petra), Henry clicks the radio again, "Whatever you're doing up there, you're overtaxing the secondary generator. Either turn something off, or we'll need to turn on the primary. Otherwise, the failsafe is going to kick in and force shut downs."

Henry clicks the radio and speaks quietly into the suit mic as he waits, pistol at the ready.

Stone does continue to stay and watch, ready to shoot at legs if they are under fire. Not to kill but at least wound them, meaning they have to see to them or leave them if there are several. If hostile. "Be ready." He offers up to those nearby.

Suddenly echoing down the hall in a loud voice, sounding like its coming from one of those squelching radios, is a male voice shouting LOUDLY, "PAT! CLERICS ARE ABOARD! RUN!!!"

"Down!" Palermo's voice snaps out over the comm, going to a crouch as well to bring herself below the usual running-while-firing trajectory and pans a look from side to side, waiting for the sight of possible running people. "Disable not harm," she shares that phrase again with her fellow marine.

[Into the Wireless] Palermo says, "Flynn, Palermo. We have a least one unidentified male voice over radio warning of clerics and advising to run. Have you seen clerics, Over?"
[TAC4] Adeliza says, " Turning off Navigation and Primary Flight. Captain, how fast can you power up those reactors if need be? Lt. Flynn, you have two minutes to find out who and where our guests are and bring them inside and quiet. We have Skath contact. It is currently passive, and I prefer to keep it that way. We don't want to draw attention to our presence.""
[TAC4] "" Randy says, "Palermo, Flynn. No Clerics. They think we are them. Dealing with things. Over."
[TAC4] "" Randy says, "Lamsburg, Flynn. Go on reactors. Go on FTL ASAP."
[Into the Wireless] Henry says, "Flynn, Lamsburg. We can start generators now. FTL will take an hour and ten minutes minimum to setup for jump after. Over."

Becker breathes a sigh of relief. No Clerics. She heads over to the console, ready to start powering up the primary at Captain Lamsburg's order. Safe adventures. She likes safe adventures.

[TAC4] "" Randy says, "Lamsburg, Flynn. Did I hear you correctly? I thought it takes ten to warm the reactors………*kshhhck*…and ten to spool FTLs if we have both online? Over."
[Into the Wireless] Petra says, "OOC My apologies folks, small miscommunication on my part from some information I got from Lukes. Please say Henry said it would take 20 mins :) 10 to power up, 10 to spool up and jump :)"

Palermo makes a low sound that almost… almost qualifies as amused, "They think we're clerics, we think that they could have clerics with them, and apparently there's Skath in the mix. Fantastic," and from the brief - fierce - grin she's serious. Safe adventures are for vids and books!

Also, in case it needed to be said, that shout is followed by the sounds of whoever was approaching….getting further away.

[TAC4] Adeliza says, "Wynn, Lambsberg, let me know when the Primary is up and we can boot everything without shut downs. over"
[TAC4] Adeliza says, " Lambsberg, Wynn, let me know when the Primary is up and we can boot everything without shut downs. over (OOC sorry, I did it backwards)"
[Into the Wireless] Henry says, "Flynn, Lamsburg. Primaries are still offline. Do you want me to start everything, or are we still on standby? Over."
[TAC4] Adeliza says, " Lamsburg, Wynn, Go on reactor, go on FTL, go on Primaries."
[TAC4] "" Randy says, "Lamsburg, Flynn. Belay reactor order. CIC, you'll have to wait. Engineering, CIC, if Skath show signs of detection we go hot on reactors and get out of here asap. Otherwise, CIC, please instruct Engineering as to whether we can spool up FTL on generators without detection. If so, let's do that. Over."
[TAC4] Adeliza says, "Flynn, Wynn, We already have three heat signatures on this ship, our raptors and the fuel siphons. We can't hide from the Skath. over"
[Into the Wireless] Palermo says, "Flynn, Palermo. Ah, sir, who ever was in our vicinity sounds like they're rapidly going in the other directions. Over."
[TAC4] Adeliza says, "Lambserg, Wynn, how much reactor power do we need to bring the guns on line over"
[Into the Wireless] Henry says, "Flynn, Lamsburg. Spooling FTL without detection is like starting a furnace and expecting steel to mask the heat. It's all or nothing. Wynn, Lamsburg. 20 percent output for weapons to be brought online. Over."
[TAC4] "" Randy says, "Wynn, Flynn, copy that. Ceding command of flight operations over to you. Tanker is still attached to airlock and it is open. Palermo, Flynn, copy that. Keep engineering secure. We've got two. Three unaccounted for. Over."
[TAC4] Adeliza says, "Flynn, Wynn, acknowledged, out."
[TAC4] Adeliza says, "Lambsberg, Wynn, do we need the fuel that has already been siphoned to make it out of her, over?"

Palermo eyes Lamsburg then Becker then the dimly lit room in general and back around to the door again. "Three unaccounted for," she shares this with Stone as she eyes the area just beyond the hatch. "Heck, that's not even fair sporting odds."

[Into the Wireless] Henry says, "Wynn, Lamsburg. We have more than enough fuel left in the tanks for a jump. Over."

As whoever was encoraching has chosen this time to flee, that at least means Engineering has been left alone, and other than the radio chatter they themselves are generating, has gone back to being (relatively) quiet.

[TAC4] Adeliza says, "Palermo, Wynn. If the contacts on ship are heading to their tanker, let them go and report to CIC. Over"
[TAC4] Adeliza says, "Ynyr, Wynn, report status, please, over"
[TAC4] Adeliza says, "Lamsburg, Wynn, fire everything up, we need weapons and Flight, FTL. ASAP."
[Into the Wireless] Henry says, "Wynn, Lamsburg. I'll start the primaries and start doing ship wide active diagnostics. Over."
[TAC4] "" Randy says, "Wynn, Flynn, busy. Not flight ready. Over."

With that, Henry sits up and starts to jog over to the primary control panel, "Becker, get the primaries started. I'm going to start running checks." His hands start to fly over the controls as he begins getting the ship hot and checking systems.

Becker nods as best she can. "You got it, sir," the mechanic replies. The Arpay system is at least fairly intuitive, and she's able to get things rolling. She trusts the Marines at her back implicitly, focusing entirely on the console in front of her.

[Into the Wireless] Palermo says, "Wynn, Palermo, copy that. Uh, sir, my orders were to remain on point with the engineering team. Over."
[TAC4] Adeliza says, "lamsberg, Wynn, let me know when we have enough for the weapons to fire up. Over"

Palermo looks distinctly uncomfortable with the com chatter she's fielding at this point and, in lieu of following the secondary set of orders she gives a head shake and stays on point alongside Stone. She glances sidelong again, this time around at the Captain and the petty officer she and Stone are guarding then around to the hatch again. "Crap," is her one syllable assessment of how the after action debrief is going to go.

[TAC4] Adeliza says, "Palermo, Wynn, understood. FLynn, Wynn, assign another to point for engineering, Palermo is needed in CIC, and you have five minutes to get that tanker off our hull, over."

Its magic! Or, well, no, just really fast Arpay computer systems. Once Becker gives the system the command to start up, the reactors fire online and while HENRY is probably familar with the sound, the other three might be quelled for a moment at the feel of the entire area suddenly vibrating for a moment as massive fusion reactors start up and coolant and heat exchanger systems lurch into motion.

[TAC4] "" Randy says, "Wynn, Flynn. Negative. CIC should be secure. Engineering is not. We're not going till the tanker is off the hull…so I have all the time in the worlds Lieutenant. Over."
[Into the Wireless] Henry says, "Lamsburg. Primaries are online and we're running diagnostics to bring all systems online. Over."
[TAC4] Adeliza says, "Lamsburg, Wynn, copy, out."
[TAC4] Adeliza says, "Flynn, Wynn, you have five minutes until Skath contact. You have five minutes to secure engineering and get Palermo's ass up here. over."
[TAC4] Adeliza says, "Lamsburg, Wynn, what is the full mass and dimension of this ship? over"

Becker steps away from the console, looking over to Henry. "That's… that's a good sound, right, sir?" she asks uneasily.

Exhaling a breath, Palermo eyes the engine room - IN GENERAL - at things begin to make general noise and stuff, while still listening to the back-and-forth on Comm. "Stuff that's supposed to make noise is making the noise it's supposed to make, Sir?"

[TAC4] Adeliza says, "Flynn, Wynn. Three minutes to Skath contact. over."
[TAC4] "" Randy says, "Wynn, Flynn. Copy that. We've got two armed. We will detach the ship within two minutes."
[TAC4] Adeliza says, "Lamsburg, Wynn, I need your best guess on the mass and dimensions of this ship. Go long. Over."
[TAC4] Adeliza says, "Lamsburg, Wynn. Are we at twenty percent on the reactor? Over."
[TAC4] (from "" Randy) "" Randy says, "…just don't frakking shoot us okay? Wynn, Flynn. We're going to have to jump attached. It takes 5 minutes just to reel in the hoses. Gotta take the chance."
[TAC4] Adeliza says, "Flynn, Wynn, copy. Is engineering secure, over?"
[TAC4] "" Randy says, "Wynn, Flynn. It should be, since no one went to CIC. Palermo, report? Is engineering secure?"
[Into the Wireless] Palermo says, "Flynn, Palermo. Engineering is secure, No activity down here. over."
[TAC4] Adeliza says, "Flynn, Wynn, I need Palermo to man weapons. My JG cannot fly the ship and shoot at the same time. over"
[TAC4] "" Randy says, "Wynn..*heavy breathing*..Flynn. Copy that. Palermo to CIC stat!"
[Into the Wireless] Palermo says, "Flynn, Palermo. Copy that. En route. Over."

Palermo speaks quickly into the com then jogs for the door, sharing another nod with Stone along the way, leaving Stone in charge of the engineering team and the room at large to protect.
Palermo has left.

Stone nods to Palermo. Keeping an eye on the engineering team and trying to secure the area as best he can. Being undermanned if someone does show up, but seeming quite calm anyhow. Looking around a little before looking down the corridor again.

"Arpay engineering," Becker murmurs with incredulous awe. "Things are going so fast. We'll have FTL in a couple of minutes."

Within a minute or two of Palermo leaving, heavy footsteps com TROMP TROMP TROMPing down the hallway and the hatch is pushed open. Standing in it, a short male in civilian clothing, wrench in hand, arms stained with what we hope is grease, and blinks at People. Nor recognizing any of the faces, he yells, "Clerics are here!" Laying eyes on Stone's and Becker's rifles, well, he might have ideas about using these new strangers for cover. If they dont shoot him first.

Stone does spin around to aim at him. "Calm down, no clerics here." He tries to calm him down, ready to shoot at his legs though, if the person still act hostile. "Quiet down and relax, we don't want dead bodies."

Stone will try to yank the guy inside to close the door, if possible, repeating that they are not clerics.

[Into the Wireless] Becker says, "CIC, Becker. FTL will be spoiled up and ready to go in under four minutes."
[TAC4] Adeliza says, "Becker, Wynn. Copy. Out."
[TAC4] Adeliza says, "Flynn, Wynn, prepare for jump in four minutes. Out."
[TAC4] "" Randy says, "We're as ready as we'll ever be."

"We're…" Becker presses her lips together. "It's a really long story and way above my pay grade. But hold onto something, we're about to jump."

Stone does focus on the man, "We're just here to secure and find things out. We are soldiers." He offers, letting the others pipe up if they wish."I'm sergeant Colt Stone. Who are you?" He asks then. Seeing as the guy seem at least a bit agreeable. Nodding, "Hang on." He offers as well.

While everybody waits for the primary FTL to boot, there's suddenly a heavy rumble that comes across the ship. Everything seems to shake and it can be felt all the way through to the hull of the attached tanker. The guns on the Norton come alive and begin firing. Point defense sounds like chainsaws on the hull while massive flak cannons begin banging out dozens of rounds per minute. A few hevier explosions are felt against the hull of the norton, but there's no fire alarms and no emergency addresses. Then, without warning, they can all feel that sinking as the jump drive is engaged. A moment later, it stops and the guns go silent. Lukes' voice comes over Tac4, exhausted, "Jump complete. Airspace is clear. Recovery crew is inbound. Lukes, out."

The civilian grease monkey blinks at the answers, then blinks again and looks uuuup at Stone, "Sergeant…" repeating the rank like some memorization technique, then blinks one more time, "Stephen. M'name's Stephen." And then the carrier's weapon systems come alive and he hunkers down like a good little civilian and braces with a soft, "Shit!"

Start of CIC group from the point they leave Engineering

Soon as it's clear and the others are coming in, Lleufer Ynyr slips back out to watch the access corridor. No way are they all going to get trapped in there at once. He can tag another Marine to stay with him while Randy, Henry, and Becker sort things out. Then he hears Randy's orders, "Yes, sir. Sounds like we're going to need to get that fuel back, too." Then he looks to Numa and points a finger at her, "Zip your lips, Private. You have something to say, say it clearly for all to hear and otherwise, stay quiet. Ears and eyes sharp." Soon as Flynn motions that she's ready for them to go, Ynyr takes point to start heading back out of Engineering and on towards CiC. He moves cautiously and even quieter, more carefully now they are quite certain that they don't have this ship to themselves.
 
"Captain, how many people would it take to man that fuel offloader? Bare minimum?" Randy asks quietly over comms as she hangs back behind the Marines on point.

Numa blinks at Lleu when he points that finger at her. Her mouth snaps shut with a /very/ audible click and she nods her head so quickly it looks like it might just wobble off. Of course, with /that/ energy outlet gone, she almost immediately starts shifting restlessly from one foot to the other. The little marine trying /very/ hard to stay still, but it's practically impossible, so she turns that bubbling energy into something reasonably practical, shifting off a few feet away and looking down the passage in the opposite direction, fingers wrapping around her rifle, squeezing gently and releasing, careful not to let her fingers get close to the trigger, because that would be bad.
 
Moving out of Engineering and up to CIC does take a bit. The smaller fireteam makes their way up the corridors and see's nothing. The most eerie part of this might be the fact that there aren't even signs of a gunfight. There's just nothing to indicate any sort of damage or activity at all. This whole thing feels like a tomb. Still, even as they climb decks and move forward, there's no sign of power to any of the keypads. The hatches without them seem to have had their wheel-locks turned so tight that it might take hydraulics, or a skinjob, or get them open.

Arriving at CIC, they can readily identify it by the heavier plating of the walls and the built in firing positions. The Arpay seemed to take boarding parties far more seriously and expected than any other Colonial ship. When the hallway rounds a bit they find the hatch access… and the hatch seems to have the electronic lock still in place, but there's the same battery attached to it with dangling USB. The hatch here is also left open just enough to peek inside into the darkness.
 
Lukes has done her best to be unobtrusive on this mission, keeping quiet and off to the side. She doesn't really know what to do with a rifle so she just holds it awkwardly, not having fired one since basic. When they get to CIC, she stops with the sight of the opened lock panel and she looks to Randy, then the Marines. Nothing is said. Seems the JG knows her place on this food chain.

Moving along with the Marines, Adeliza is quiet, but she feels like every bit of her is alert. She keeps herself in the middle of them, and draws up to a stop when she notes the same USB port and the same door ajar position as in Engineering. She takes in a breath, looking to Randy to wait for her to give the command, and the clear. She considers for a moment, then takes the rifle from her back and checks it over, just in case.
 
Same as before. Soon as Ynyr sees the hatch up ahead is ajar and there's a battery attached like before, he hesitates and makes a hand signal to alert Randy to come on up, then points it out. Lleufer doesn't make a sound because someone may be in there and noise can carry in this metal corridors. Unless Flynn indicates otherwise, it looks like the Gunny's going to let her double check the battery off to the side of the hatch, then kick the door open and head on in exactly as before, rifles up and ready to rock 'n roll to clear CIC. Let's hope they don't run into any Arpay the Clerics have turned to serve the Machines, tay?

<FS3> Randy rolls Demolitions: Great Success.
 
When they get to CIC, Randy mosies on up to look at what Lleufer is pointing out. She does the same song and dance as before, only she's much quieter this time as she moves…even in that bulky suit. She gives Lleufer the signal, just as before after backing away and pulls her sidearm again. She doesn't pick up her case just yet, prefering to stay more mobile in case there's trouble.
 
Piling into CIC with a much smaller team is a more daunting task. The ship's primary battle bridge is larger than Orion's with more consoles. As they move, though, there are still no signs of movement. Everything seems just as dead. The room echoes with their pounding boots and the sound of their equipment jingling. The room is roughly fifty feet across and about the same length. There is a set of three command chairs in the center of the room near a holographic map table in front of them. Elevated, it allows them to swivel and look to any particular console or crew member. Most of the consoles are set against the wall with very large HD screens above them. Everything seems to be in perfect condition, if powered down, except for one console at the end of the room. There are green lights lit across the board and a number of switches to be seen with it.

<FS3> Lukes rolls ECM: Success.
 
The JTACCO takes her cues from Randy when she can enter, and her eyes sweep the CIC, noting the differences between the Colonial ships and the Arpay's layouts. She doesn't waste much time studying the dark monitors, it's the one that's lit that draws her, and she advances towards it, placing her rifle back on her back so that her hands are free if need be. One hand hovers in the air, then moves along the green lights as if ticking them off. "Damage control… all the fire suppression systems or set on Stand-by/Automatic," she directs her comment to Randy.
 
Lleufer is not touching anything. He and Numa go through, ready to shoot the crap out of anybody who looks like a skinjob Cleric, or subdue anybody else they can find if they aren't getting shot at. Soon as they check that the place is indeed empty and secured, Ynyr gives the all clear for the others to come in and access the stations. The Master-at-Arms keeps his hands off and lets the experts do their thing, though his Arpay eyes do glance at the HUD's to see if he can skim any info once he's sure there's nobody in here. THen he motions to Numa, "Let's go back out and keep the corridor clear while they work."
 
Lukes waits for the Marines to call clear before she walks in and takes the rifle off her gear. She aims her flashlight around at the labeled panels before rushing off to any of them. This is the entire point of her being here. Spotting one near the command chairs, "That's Pri-Fly," she says, aiming at it as she walks. "Primary Flight. Navigation." Moving to the panel she puts the rifle down on the seat next to her and plunks down. Fingers hover over the panel, looking. A switch is pressed and the panel comes to life, illuminating her upper body. "Navigation coming online, Lieutenant. I think.. I dunno, sir. We can go forward but there's lots of red lights on the maneuvering thrusters. I don't know if they are just cold or don't have fuel or what."
 
"Alright, as soon as I give the Captain the signal to shut off the fuel siphoning, Marines, we're going to find where these people boarded from the tanker. Should be," Randy gives the side the tanker ought to be on. Yep, she studied the schematics, because people can make bombs out of ships, and she needed to know where she was going. She's saying this on open comms so that the Marines and the Captain can hear it. "We move fast and quiet. If we encounter someone, do not shoot unless shot upon, but knockouts and detaining without warning is fair game. When the Captain shuts off the fuel siphoning, they will likely send someone out to fix it. Palermo, Stone, I want you to detain whoever is sent out to Engineering to fix the siphoning issue. Do not risk lives, ours or their's. Follow my lead if there's any talking to be done. Captain, please go ahead and turn off the fuel siphoning. Standby for warming the reactors and spooling FTL. We don't want to send the whole crew your way or spook them off. CIC, lock down CIC once we leave and holler if you run into any sabotage in your sweeps. This place is well fortified. You should be good. Let's go Marines."
 
Once the Marines all pile out, Adeliza and Lukes are left alone in CIC. The door is shut behind them and Adeliza can probably work the manual interior seal without a problem. Once they are left alone, Lukes stands up and looks around, then back to Addie. "Well, sir. If you ever wanted your own aircraft carrier, looks like you have it. I'm, uh-" She moves the light around. "Electronic Warfare. I'll boot it to passive. If you have anything else, uh.." She starts walking that way across the room, and chuckles. "I guess you're in command of fighting the ship. Give me an order." She moves over to plop down at EW and looks across the three panels. "Gimme an On switch. Where are you…?"

The plan of action command is acknowledged with a nod, and "copy, El Tee," from Adeliza. She walks over to the hatch, and waits as the Marines file past, watches them down the corridor for a moment, and then closes the door, sealing it off. She takes a breath, and turns back to the room, mounting the raised platform to the three chairs, looking over the other stations there, palms resting on the edge of the panel as she looks it over. She lifts her head to the JG as she's addressed, and an almost grin pulls at the corner of her lips, but her eyes are too serious to match the expression. She expels a breath as she goes back to looking at her own console. "Very well, then. I order you to find the On Switch, JG." Her eyes are back on the panel in front of her as she does the same. "Let's see how many of these are operational. If I'm going to be in charge of a ship, I need to know how much of it is actually at my command."

Lukes spends 1 luck points on Gimme some juice!.<FS3> Lukes rolls ECM: Good Success.

 As Adeliza walks around the room, looking at the panels, there's a station for everything. Nav even has a back-up. Engineering readouts start coming online. Gunnery comes to life and boots up while it queries every single mounted system on the ship. Life support comes up by damage control and begins spouting off readings across the ship. The dull glow of the panels provides a low blue hue to the whole room that lets them work without the aid of flashlights.

Meanwhile the ECO seems to be more comfortable trying to get the EW panel up and working. She drums her hands lightly on the table, humming a tune while it boots up. "Alright. Everything is in default, sir. We're not emitting anything." She starts testing panels and checking through different systems. Then she stops. "Sir." She looks up. "Sir. We've got a problem." Lukes points at the screen. "Passive contacts, sir. We've got two squadrons of Skath Raiders coming through that hole in the auto-turret barrier." There's an anxious nervousness to her voice. "They aren't heading for us yet, but they're… if they do, they're three minutes out."

Randy pages Adeliza and Lukes: Henry clicks the radio again, "Whatever you're doing up there, you're overtaxing the secondary generator. Either turn something off, or we'll need to turn on the primary. Otherwise, the failsafe is going to kick in and force shut downs."

[TAC4] "" Randy tests
[TAC4] Numa says, "Copy."

Adeliza blows out a breath. "Of course there are," she responds, and gives a shake to her head as she walks over to look at the contacts that Lukes points out. "As long as we're not emitting, we can hope to not attract their attention. Bring up weapons, see if we have anything we can fire at them if we need to." She pauses as she hears Henry's radio come on, and she looks around. She moves over to the other console turned on earlier. "We can shut down navigation for the time being. As soon as you have the status reports on the weapons system, let me know." She clicks the radio on. "Lamsburg, Wynn.  Turning off Navigation and Primary Flight. Captain, how fast can you power up those reactors if need be? Lt. Flynn, you have two minutes to find out who and where our guests are and bring them inside and quiet. We have Skath contact. It is currently passive, and I prefer to keep it that way. We don't want to draw attention to our presence.  Over."

[TAC4] Palermo says, "Flynn, Palermo. We have a least one unidentified male voice over radio warning of clerics and advising to run. Have you seen clerics, Over?"
[Into the Wireless] Adeliza says, Lamsburg, Wynn Turning off Navigation and Primary Flight. Captain, how fast can you power up those reactors if need be? Lt. Flynn, you have two minutes to find out who and where our guests are and bring them inside and quiet. We have Skath contact. It is currently passive, and I prefer to keep it that way. We don't want to draw attention to our presence. Over""
[TAC4] "" Randy says, "Palermo, Flynn. No Clerics. They think we are them. Dealing with things. Over."

<FS3> Lukes rolls Gunnery: Good Success.

[TAC4] "" Randy says, "Lamsburg, Flynn. Go on reactors. Go on FTL ASAP."
[TAC4] Henry says, "Flynn, Lamsburg. We can start generators now. FTL will take  ten minutes minimum to and ten minutes to setup for jump after. Over."
 
"Sir, don't!" Lukes tries to stop her. "Sir, if we have to jump, we need Nav! It needs time to get stellar alignment!" Its already off, though. "SHIT." Lukes is suddenly in one frakker of a hurry. She's been shot at by Skath before and it wasn't fun. "Sir, even if we aren't giving off a heat bloom, we've got two Raptors sitting on an exposed flight deck with hot engines and cores. They're going to see them and then they do, we're in deep shit!" she says over her shoulder as she strips off her bodyarmor and drops down at Gunnery, across the room. "Okay, okay… We've got.. Our point defense and flak guns are loaded. We've got- automatic control over the external guns. They are currently unloaded but we need power to get their tubes loaded. We can't fire anything without more power, sir. We're dead in the water."

[TAC4] "" Randy says, "Lamsburg, Flynn. Did I hear you correctly? I thought it takes ten to warm the reactors………*kshhhck*…and ten to spool FTLs if we have both online? Over."
"The reactors will fire up faster if we aren't putting strain on them. We can't afford random shut downs while the Primary is coming up," Adeliza replies. "As soon as the primary is on, we'll boot it back up. We won't have the time to get the stellar alignment if it gets shut down or frakked during the boot up of the system anyways. We might not get anything." She's got her tablet on the table next to her, and she's tapping into it.

[Into the Wireless] Adeliza says, " Lambsberg, Wynn, let me know when the Primary is up and we can boot everything without shut downs. over."
[TAC4] Henry says, "Flynn, Lamsburg. Primaries are still offline. Do you want me to start everything, or are we still on standby? Over."
[Into the Wireless] Adeliza says, " Lamsburg, Wynn, Go on reactor, go on FTL, go on Primaries, over."
[TAC4] "" Randy says, "Lamsburg, Flynn. Belay reactor order. CIC, you'll have to wait. Engineering, CIC, if Skath show signs of detection we go hot on reactors and get out of here asap. Otherwise, CIC, please instruct Engineering as to whether we can spool up FTL on generators without detection. If so, let's do that. Over."
 
Lukes is bringing up the panel and she slides the chair down to the secondary gunner station. She turns on the LED screens overhead and looks up to them. The helmet comes off next, that headpiece making it impossible to look up without it being a distraction in this chair. When pops up is the passive dradis system and it shows the two squadrons splitting off. "Sir, one group is going over top of the Baker Bay and the other is going beneath. They're fanning out and heading this way. ETA is five minutes. …Do we need full reactor power to bring these guns online? Gods, I hope not."

[Into the Wireless] Adeliza says, "Flynn, Wynn, We already have three heat signatures on this ship, our raptors and the fuel siphons. We can't hide from the Skath. over"
[TAC4] Palermo says, "Flynn, Palermo. Ah, sir, who ever was in our vicinity sounds like they're rapidly going in the other directions. Over."
[Into the Wireless] Adeliza says, "Lambserg, Wynn, how much reactor power do we need to bring the guns on line over"
[TAC4] Henry says, "Flynn, Lamsburg. Spooling FTL without detection is like starting a furnace and expecting steel to mask the heat. It's all or nothing. Wynn, Lamsburg. 20 percent output for weapons to be brought online. Over."
[TAC4] "" Randy says, "Wynn, Flynn, copy that. Ceding command of flight operations over to you. Tanker is still attached to airlock and it is open. Palermo, Flynn, copy that. Keep engineering secure. We've got two. Three unaccounted for. Over."

Looking up at the screens, Adeliza looks up as Lukes brings up the DRADIS. "What are the chances our Raptors are cool enough to not attract attention any more, JG?" She takes a breath. "Five minutes, twenty minutes until we can jump. That's fifteen minutes we need to hold off. How fast can you plot a jump?"

[Into the Wireless] Adeliza says, "Flynn, Wynn, acknowledged, out."[Into the Wireless] Adeliza says, "Lambsberg, Wynn, do we need the fuel that has already been siphoned to make it out of here, over?"
 
"Zero, sir. When we are on ops like this, we leave the engines running in case we need to exit the zone fast. The Raptors are probably still down there with their engines running. Its a security thing." Lukes is panning through the list of guns, eyes nearly bugged out, while sweat beads on her brow in the cold air. "Five minutes.. Gods, this is going to be close. Please, sir. Please tell me we are powering up the reactors." She shakes her head, "Look at all this.. guns, missiles, everything." The jump? "Uh, ah… I don't know, sir. I've never jumped anything bigger than a Raptor. We need Nav on and aligned first, I know that much. We can't jump unless we know where we are. And I can't run gunnery and plot a jump. What do you want me to do, sir?" she asks, looking over her shoulder.

[TAC4] Henry says, "Wynn, Lamsburg. We have more than enough fuel left in the tanks for a jump. Over."[Into the Wireless] Adeliza says, "Palermo, Wynn. If the contacts on ship are heading to their tanker, let them go and report to CIC. Over"
[Into the Wireless] Adeliza says, "Ynyr, Wynn, report status, please, over"
[Into the Wireless] Adeliza says, "Lamsburg, Wynn, fire everything up, we need weapons and Flight, FTL. ASAP."
[TAC4] Henry says, "Wynn, Lamsburg. I'll start the primaries and start doing ship wide active diagnostics. Over."
[TAC4] "" Randy says, "Wynn, Flynn, busy. Not flight ready. Over."
[TAC4] Palermo says, "Wynn, Palermo, copy that. Uh, sir, my orders were to remain on point with the engineering team. Over."
[Into the Wireless] Adeliza says, "lamsberg, Wynn, let me know when we have enough for the weapons to fire up. Over"
[Into the Wireless] Adeliza says, "Palermo, Wynn, understood. FLynn, Wynn, assign another to point for engineering, Palermo is needed in CIC, and you have five minutes to get that tanker off our hull, over."
[TAC4] "" Randy says, "Wynn, Flynn. Negative. CIC should be secure. Engineering is not. We're not going till the tanker is off the hull…so I have all the time in the worlds Lieutenant. Over."
[TAC4] Henry says, "Lamsburg. Primaries are online and we're running diagnostics to bring all systems online. Over."
[Into the Wireless] Adeliza says, "Lamsburg, Wynn, copy, out."

Adeliza comes over to look at what Lukes is talking about on the guns and missiles, tapping on her pad as she goes. "So, JG, have you ever wanted to fly an aircraft carrier, now is your chance." She takes a break to comm back to Palermo, then hands her tablet to Lukes as they hear the announcement that the Primaries are online. "There's your starting coordinates. Bring up nav and get started." She turns back, trying not to scowl at the negative from Flynn, and keeps her voice level as she reiterates the five minute deadline.
 
"Sir, I just wanted to actually see the fleet for once in my life. Leave Caprica. I'd never even been in an emergency situation until I got to the Orion, like, a month ago. I'm supposed to be back on Cap by now." She gets things cycled through on the screens and makes sure that someone else knows what they are looking at when they get up here. "Gods, I need a drink," she mutters as she takes the pad and scrambles/runs back over to Nav. Booting it up, she begins scribbling down equations on the tablet. "Go go go go," she whispers to herself. "You can do it. Everything is okay." Scared? Definitely. "Does anyone happen to know the full mass of this ship and the dimensions?" The schematics aren't going to have that. Its just a basic ship plan and outline.

[TAC4] "" Randy says, "Wynn, Flynn. Copy that. We've got two armed. We will detach the ship within two minutes."

"You and me both, JG," Adeliza gives a dour smirk to Lukes at the mention of just wanting to see the Fleet. "But we're here, now. We got this." She turns from the DRADIS to give the three minute warning, and as she still has no answer from engineering on the question of mass and dimension, she pulls her tablet back, assuming that the coordinate information is already used. She pushes the window aside and opens another window with visual data on the arpay carrier and the other ships in the graveyard. She chooses one of the colonial ships to compare with the carrier, and calls up the data on that one, then does some mental calculations in her head, then adds about ten percent more to the mass and dimensions that she came up with for a buffer. She sets the numbers down next to Lukes. "Go with these," she says firmly, pressing her palms on the edge of the table for a minute to keep her hands steady until she can push away and return to stations. She glances over to weapons, and waits for the two minute mark. "Flight, Wynn. Standby for take off"
 
Lukes is rpaidly trying to do the calculation on the tablet, working through the known start and then the destination. The informaiton that Adleiza hands over is taken into account and she starts plugging it in. "I'm going to add more. Weapons, ammo, ships, frak it I'm just going to double it. We've got another ship. Fraaaaaak," she whispers, trying to do mental math with whats on the screen. Meanwhile the Dradis behind them beeps. Two minutes.

"Add all you want, JG," Wynn tells her. "Better to have extra space than not enough." Her fingers tap in a slow, solid, wave on the table, keeping her grounded as she waits to hear from the Marines.

[TAC4] (from "" Randy) "" Randy says, "…just don't frakking shoot us okay? Wynn, Flynn. We're going to have to jump attached. It takes 5 minutes just to reel in the hoses. Gotta take the chance."[Into the Wireless] Adeliza says, "Flynn, Wynn, copy. Is engineering secure, over?"
[TAC4] "" Randy says, "Wynn, Flynn. It should be, since no one went to CIC. Palermo, report? Is engineering secure?"
[TAC4] Palermo says, "Flynn, Palermo. Engineering is secure, No activity down here. over."
 
The ECO seems to finish her calculations on the tablet and then sets it aside so she can copy it. They keyboard layout is throwing her off and she ends up having to hunt and punch the keys to try and input everything from all her equations. Her hands are shaking but she's functional and doing this as fast as she can. Jumping a ship this size is usually done by trained professionals. Not ECO's who had humdrum Raptor postings. "Okay, calculations are in. Computer is chewing on it. No idea how long its going to take." But there's several beeps from electronic warfare. If Adeliza looks at the screen she can see that the Skath Raiders must have spotted the heat blooms. Both squadrons are inbound.

[Into the Wireless] Adeliza says, "Flynn, Wynn, I need Palermo to man weapons. My JG cannot fly the ship and shoot at the same time. over
"[TAC4] "" Randy says, "Wynn..*heavy breathing*..Flynn. Copy that. Palermo to CIC stat!"
[TAC4] Palermo says, "Flynn, Palermo. Copy that. En route. Over."

As the response comes through that Palermo is on her way, Adeliza goes to the hatch. "Get that jump ready, if you haven't already added for the tanker, do so. LG." She draws her sidearm just in case there are any surprises outside, and gives Lukes a sideways nod and a crooked smile. "Deep breath, and steady on. We got this." She levels her weapon towards the hatchway as she opens it for the LAV driver to come in. Once the marine is inside, she works it closed, waving towards the consoles. "Palermo, get the guns online and ready to fire. We need port side up. Flight, Wynn. On my mark, and only on my mark if needed, take off and make a run down the port side of the carrier to draw the raiders, then come back for a combat landing." She goes back to the DRADIS to watch the incoming Skath. 

Lukes doesn't even look up when the hatch is opened. She's too busy trying to hunt and punch an Arpay keyboard. "I'm just jumping like everything. I don't even know what I've accounted for. I'm just picking numbers, sir!" the ECO calls to the LT. But the computer is still chewing on the calculations. Eventually a light pops. "Sir, flight computer says we're jump ready. I think. Its- I dunno. It says the equations will work!"
 
Palermo hustles through the hatch then gives a single blink of surprise at Adeliza before she eyes the console then around and back, "Right. Point me at the weapons console and the firing control system," she says, hands flexing as she safeties the rifle and slings it across her back.
 
Meanwhile outside the Raptors take off and begin a slow run around the flight deck. Then one of the ECO's starts yelling about incoming skath Raiders and they turn around and head right back inside.

[TAC4] Becker says, "CIC, Becker. FTL will be spooled up and ready to go in under four minutes."

At Palermo's request, Adeliza turns and takes her to the weapons console, and begins reading off the locations of the guns to her, pointing them out as she reads. She looks up at the DRADIS and notes the side they are coming from, so she points out the guns to that side of the ship to the Renee. "Flight. Wynn." she calls more solidly. "We are aware. Stand by." Then she braces herself on the back of Palermo's chair. "Just keep them off us for four minutes, Beanpole."

[Into the Wireless] Adeliza says, "Becker, Wynn. Copy. Out."[Into the Wireless] Adeliza says, "Flynn, Wynn, prepare for jump in four minutes. Out."
[TAC4] "" Randy says, "We're as ready as we'll ever be."
 
Palermo drops into the chair, eyes the console while Liza talks then moves her hands into position over the keys. "Only four minutes?" She puffs out a breath then flexes her hands again and narrows her eyes at the console. "Hope you read this stuff correct, because I don't read it at all. I could be cuing up the sound system or the disco lights," her voice is deliberately light as she punches the first of the commands that Liza pointed out.

While everybody waits for the primary FTL to boot, there's suddenly a heavy rumble that comes across the ship. Everything seems to shake and it can be felt all the way through to the hull of the attached tanker. The guns on the Norton come alive and begin firing. Point defense sounds like chainsaws on the hull while massive flak cannons begin banging out dozens of rounds per minute. A few hevier explosions are felt against the hull of the norton, but there's no fire alarms and no emergency addresses. Then, without warning, they can all feel that sinking as the jump drive is engaged. A moment later, it stops and the guns go silent. Lukes' voice comes over Tac4, exhausted, "Jump complete. Airspace is clear. Recovery crew is inbound. Lukes, out."

"So…" Palermo hands lift carefully away from the console as she feels the ship about to jump, and then keeps her hands entirely away from the board while the jump is happening and away from the controls after the jump is over. "I just fired cannons, right?"

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License