MD #007: Bominaire Recon
MD #007: Bominaire Recon
Summary: A joint-op recon of Bominaire turns out to not be a cake walk or particularly stress free, a walk in the park, or any other sporty calm comparisons.
Date: 15-16 April 2017 (OOC Date)
Related Logs: http://battlestarorion.wikidot.com/the-explosive-enemy-within
Henry Kieve Knox Michael 
Lleufer Miri Randy Samtara 
Bominaire
A planet that once had it's on cities and culture, technology and so much more that has long been taken over by the Machines.
Tue 31/Oct/2028 (IC Date)

A call goes out among the Marines and a few select officers otherwise. There's a recon element going to a planet called Bominaire. There's a ground team going to analyze a potential LZ, Landing Zone, for a larger force and a need to conduct a hasty recon of the land and a castle nearby. Catching an Arpay cruiser away from the graveyard, it's a 30 minute wormhole trip out to Bominaire. Admiral Fencer briefs them personally along the way, his own carrier going with them in case things go south in a hurry.

"We are looking to potentially make a landing on Bominaire and make it a flashpoint for the resistance behind the lines. We have multiple strikes planned at other areas that will require a distraction operation. What we need from you all is to put boots on the ground and make sure we can put more boots there. Now, the Skath have taken up a more permanent residency in the region and ousted the sitting provincial King and replaced them with one of their own. The guy is a real shitbag and is rolling up anyone who doesn't toe the line. We need on-site intelligence about the viability of the LZ and we also need you to conduct a hasty recon of the castle that the Skath are using as a stronghold. Your LZ is Checkpoint Nickel. Your observation post for the castle, marked on your maps, is Checkpoint Titan. Get in, get out. You've got three days on the ground and you'll only be gone twenty minutes per ship time. You Rules of Engagement are Yellow-Hold. Kill anyone who identifies you as outsiders and is not potential threat. Do not fire unless fired upon. We need this covert if possible. You'll be dropping in via a stealth ship we normally reserve for special forces and Diplomatic Corps. You we be extracted in 72 hours at Checkpoint Madras. Its on your maps. Gunnery Sergeant Knox has our frequencies and we will be standing by if you need close air support or immediate evac."

Once at the position, the Marines and their party are put onto an Arpay shuttle and put airborne-spaceborne. The flight in takes about an hour after a jump, the ship having to drift in at an odd angle to look like a piece of debris or rock. At the front, the Arpay pilots seem a little on edge, but that may be normal for a landing. These people are all deep, deep behind enemy lines. One thing goes wrong out here, there's no guarantee of a rescue. The pilots are just pushing the nose over for entry into Bominaire's atmo when the pilot's call out, "Two minutes!"

Is this Michael's first live-fire mission? Oh Ares it is. Not that he's trying to let that show. Strapped into a seat, rifle clutched across his chest, the two minute warning has the very young Specialist checking his gear, his weapon, his helmet, then taking a deep, deep breath and sitting up, and desperately trying to tune out how he can hear most of the frikkin heartbeats in the aircraft, focusing on Randy. She says go, they go.

GSGT Cooper Knox is seated closer to the ramp. He's dressed in his full combat gear and carrying his normal radio pack one would expect. There's even the thick antenna out the rear and pointed down. His face is painted up heavily to break up the structure of his bone. The boom mic he wears for the radio is down in front of his lips. Rifle strapped to his chest and plate carrier, he holds it with both hands on the buttstock during entry, an old lesson he learned from bumpy landings in the past. He's got his head leaned back, chin away from the rifle. He actually looks a bit amped up by all this… but then again, its his first real combat op in 22 years.

Fighting a case of the surreal mixed with a lingering distaste brought on by motion sickness, Sam is cinched into the seat inside the shuttle as tight as the buckles allow. Some things never change. The helmet she's wearing is snugged down as well, all of the gear familiar and not familiar, and the comforting weight of her sidearm at her side, along with the field medical kit and the rest of the load out gear is also in the slightly surreal spectrum. Granted, the bitter taste of adrenaline is absolutely working in her favor this time around as she glances at all the heavily armed members of the team being fielded and forces a look on her face that aims for calm and misses by a few miles. Close still only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

The Leonis born Captain Henry Lamsburg is no stranger to combat, or recon work… his days in the resistance forcing more than one encounter. Still, it *has* been years since those days, and the old jitters are still with him as he watches the planet go by through one of the windows, his right hand keeping hold of a piece of the shuttle for leverage against the forces of gravity. His backpack has been double checked already, and his pistol triple checked. As the time approaches Henry takes the backpack from its' holder and slips it on… various technology obvious on it as he finally looks to the others, his gray eyes subdued a bit as they go.

Periodically during the ride over, Miri would just mouth the word 'Bominaire' over and over. It's a fun word to say. Closer to go time, she focuses, finding herself shifting into the old, familiar routine of checking her med kit and gear. The kit's a lot different now, but the process is still the same. She sees Michael's face and reaches out to pat his arm. "Hey. Just worry about listening to the boss and babysitting these chuckleheads. That's your world. Nothing else matters, other than getting back to Charlie's for a drink. On me."

Lieutenant Flynn reaches up to flip on her headcam. These days the power situation for those things are so good, she'll be able to record the whole trip. She checks her chest rig and brings out a small piece of fabric to bring to her lips before tucking it away. It's been awhile, but they've all been training hard. Her face is painted and she checks on her nvds, flipping it to be on IR out the gate should she want to use them. She tries not to keep looking over at Michael. That was a goal the entire trip, but she does steal glances at his gear, making sure his headcam is on.

The shuttle has no windows at the rear except for a ramp. The pilots are clearly flying very fast, though, considering how the anti-grav system is trying to keep up with the mass and velocity. Just half a second behind. They maneuver through the atmo before a major pitch-up and the bottom feels like it is dropping out. "Ten seconds!" they yell back. At the five-count the ramp begins dropping and they can see some terrain and trees. They look very similar to evergreens on the colonies, but thinner branches, but there is a lot of undergrowth that goes with it at ground level. Five seconds later, the shuttle's skids hit the ground and the ramp plunks down fully. "GO! GO! GO!" the co-pilot shouts from the front, looking back at them. The crewchief at the rear already has his MG rotated out and is aiming out and down the ramp towards the exit. He, like the rest of them, is in full camo kit. But he isn't firing. No threats so far.

Kieve had been tapped to come along, and take careful notes of the area, in case his wing might be deployed at some point to defend raptors on their search and rescue or just play decoy. He sits along with the others, for once having exchanged his flightsuit for body armor and having checked his sidearm and anything else he might need. The pilot has been making notes as they flew just from readings he could pick up along the way. otherwise it's people watching and being the square peg in the round hole.

<FS3> Kieve rolls Alertness: Good Success.

Michael gets to his feet when the 10 second warning hits, straightening up like the Littlest Corpsman that Could. He's sure as hell not going to be the FIRST one off the bus, but he's moving as soon as the group does, ducking his head a bit to hurry off the ramp and take in the immediate surroundings. Potential cover, then follow Mom, er, the LT.

Unfastening the safety harness and rising to her feet at the same time, Sam adjusts the NVD with the next sweep of one hand and is fast pacing it out the shuttle, down the ramp and into the grass all in the same flow of movement and momentum. The first step into the grass has to be followed by the next and she hustles out of the way, sidearm held steadily in both hands as soon as she hits the ground and, once out of the way, takes a knee in the grass and slowly, very deliberately carefully, scans around while breathing in the air that's mingled with the scent of the shuttle and the scent of a world that she is the only one on the team to have ever set foot on before.

Meanwhile, Henry knows his place, and keeps to the middle of the group. He's an advisor and specialist at best, and knows it. His backpack is adjusted as he steps down with the rest of the team upon the machine gunner not firing immediately. For now, he keeps quiet as he sweeps the area with his eyes… and sniffs the air as both hands go to his backpack straps.

Randy gets a feel for how fast they're coming in, smirking slightly as she feels the sensations of fast flying and releases her strap based on instinct. As soon as the co-pilot gives the order, Randy gives the signal for them to move out. "Move out and find cover," she says over the radio for those who aren't marine trained. She scans her surroundings as soon as she's out of the ship for some place to take cover.

At the three-count Knox stands up off his seat and gets close to the ramp, looking like he's ready to jump. Probably other experience for that. He squints into the view and then looks back quickly. Once they touchdown, he's running off at the first 'Go!' from the co-pilot. He runs down the ramp and out fifty meters before dropping to a knee. Keying the mic, he speaks into it to talk to the Arpay Carrier, speaking Arpay, «Crossbow, Mike-Six-Four. I pass Nickel. Repeat, I pass Nickel, over.» Fifteen seconds later the reply is unheard to others and he shows a thumbs up to Randy.

Harness off, visor down, camera on, go. Right off the ramp, Miri spots some dense shrubs next to a wispy evergreen and heads right for it.

"Hm" a rare sound during this trip escaping the pilot perhaps at his readings, he notes them carefuly before replacing his gear back to his belt. Kieve looks on as the shuttle opens and it's into the realtive unknown. He detaches his harness and makes his way down with the others the order's obeyed finding a place where he can crouch low. His eyes do take in the surroundings confirming what his tools had shown him during the flight. For the moment it's be as still as humanly possible time.

<FS3> Henry rolls Alertness: Failure.
<FS3> Kieve rolls Alertness: Success.
<FS3> Knox rolls Alertness: Good Success.
<FS3> Randy rolls Alertness: Great Success.
<FS3> Miri rolls Alertness: Amazing Success.
<FS3> Samtara rolls Alertness: Success.
<FS3> Michael rolls Alertness: Success.

Once they are all off, the ship roars its engines and immediately begins closing the ramp. If anyone looks up, they can only see an odd diffusion in the light of the sky. Even in daytime, the ship's active camo looks like a distorted piece of sky until it gets about 200m off the ground and it seems to vanish completely, but for the sound of the engines. As the sound fades, they're left in the clearing and surrounding cover with only the sounds of birds and insects.

"Two Skath Raiders patroling to the west somewhere. Zahav, you get anything else?," Randy relays quietly over the radio. "Move low to the treeline. Form up. Zahav, take point. Captain, Wynn. You guys might want to be in the middle of that unless you're feeling adventurous."

What do your elf ears hear, Miri? She speaks softly into her coms. "Two horses, two riders. Men, I think, from their voices. Northwest, maybe a quarter mile?" This.

"I think they're headed North," Randy adds a moment later before getting into formation near the rear of the motley pack.

"Sounds good." Henry replies quietly as he moves into the middle of the formation as recommended.

Michael ducks his head as orders are given, reaching up to touch the piece over his pointed ear, blinking a few times, then heading out, aiming to take up space closer to the middle of the little group of adventurers. After all, everyone knows, healers and doctors and ranged DPS in the middle of the group.

The viper-pilot smirks at the words spoken over com, he is typically quite adventurous, but on the other hand he's usualy nestled into a ship and goes pew-pew innn spaceee. At this moment not so much, and so he nods in agreement while speaking softly back "Understood." Kieve takes his position making sure he can still get readings and his hand down at his hip where his sidearm is though just a precuation for now as he listens to the com traffic taking in the information.

Sam rises from the position she'd taken to hunker down in the grass while everyone else was getting sorted, and the look on her face is one of instant recognition of the terrain and she is antsy to get to the tree line as soon as the rest of the team is in motion. She moves through the tall grass and scrub with care, checking the position of Miri and Michael to make sure that they're spread out in the group while quelling, ruthlessly, the instinct to bolt for the treeline.

Lleufer hasn't said a word. He got out of the transport with the rest of them and went down low, ears and eyes alert to things around them. He's not on point so as people sort themselves out, Ynyr will cover their rear until he's told otherwise. He moves fast but real quiet as they make their way towards the trees and the cover they need. The Gunnery Sergeant stays off from others, spread out rather than clumping up.

<FS3> Randy rolls Stealth: Good Success.
<FS3> Miri rolls Stealth: Success.
<FS3> Knox rolls Stealth: Good Success.
<FS3> Kieve rolls Stealth: Good Success.
<FS3> Lleufer rolls Stealth: Success.
<FS3> Henry rolls Stealth: Good Success.
<FS3> Michael rolls Stealt: Good Success.
<FS3> Michael rolls Stealth: Good Success.
<FS3> Samtara rolls Alertness: Success.
<FS3> Samtara rolls Stealth: Success.

The group patrols. The underbrush is thick and the team is moving through a barely manageable forest. A few paths are crossed and even one major road that takes about half an hour to get everyone across while waiting for horse-drawn carts to pass. While waiting on that road they even watch a patrol of nine Skath Walkers pass down the road. Painted a jet black with three green eyes in a triangle, they are a full head taller than Centurions. The gun systems on their arm, another with a blade, look like a much different sort of enemy. Their armor even looks thicker. Luckily nobody starts shooting. They get across the road and back on track.

After nine hours on foot, they are finally approaching their observation point on the castle. They've been working through trees and the thick-leafed underscrub and everyone is mildly itchy with bugs and insects in the body armor, but its nothing most people can't ignore. Their OP is at the low end of a ridge where the woodlands terminate with the low scrub. The grass seems to be kept cut low to the edge, but even sitting there before they get orders into position they can see the massive fortress on the opposite hill, a long way to the front walls. The wall is lower on the hill while the rest of the fortress seems to have had some Skath tech added, but its hard to pick out at this distance by naked eye.

Randy signals everyone on towards the recon post once they hit cover at the treeline. They have ground to cover. When they get to the Skath Walker patrol, she signals for them to take cover with obvious intentions to wait it out and slip through behind them in the gap of their patrol. The time with the bugs makes her think suddenly back to Scorpia for a moment. When they get to the OP, she signals the team to get into position.

Michael really does keep his head down, pulling up when Randy calls for a hold, then continuing onward. With his ears and eyes, he can at least pick up quickly on even the quietest signals, though it doesn't help much for the set of nerves the young Specialist is working to keep stuffed down. I think I can, I think I can, I will NOT screw this up. When the signal is given, he slows up and finds a good place to get into position that will give him close proximity to the team, regardless who he might have to cover.

Easing her way forward, and trying for the hundredth time to ignore the insect bites that are designed to drive her nuts, Sam adjusts her NVD to eye the castle and exhales a breath that hold the edge of surprise and a bit of shock. "It looks different," she murmurs as she moves up to speak quietly with Flynn. Lt Flynn, that is. "It looks like it's been rebuilt and the walls are thicker, a lot, actually, and the whole structure looks like it's been expanded on. It's not the exact castle that I remember, I'm sorry Lieutenant. I was .. hoping I'd be more help when we got here."

Coop grabs some of the branches off the low bushes behind the hill and cuts them away. He starts handing them out to people and tucking it into sections of clothes to help mask on the terrain. Once done, he moves up at a low crawl to the edge of the bush and takes up a position. He gets out a few things from his pack, putting them in front of him. But first? He keys his mic and speaks in Arpay, «Crossbow, Crossbow, this is Mike-Six-Four. How copy?» He waits twenty seconds and retransmits the same. A glance over to Randy with a thumbs up and he looks back forward. «Mike-Six-Four passes Titan. Repeat, I pass Titan, over.» There's another reply to the radio pack and he gives a new thumbs up to Randy. Fleet copies.

After being on point for most of those nine hours, Miri is glad for a change of pace. She fingerguns at Coop, taking some branches from him to tuck into her pack and helmet. 'I'm a tree,' she mouths to herself as she gets low to the ground, waiting for orders.

Lleufer still quiet, not talking. He ate a little when the others did, sipped his water, and kept moving. Now he's down in the trees, lying prone as they wait and watch. Patient, watchful and listening, not tense. When they are motioned to get up and move, he continues to watch their backs, riding drag. Lleu carries his rifle and when they eventually get into positions to look up at the castle, the long low clearing and the wall, he'll use whatever they've brought with them to see distance. Scopes or binachs, depending on what will work with the NVD. F.ailing that, he has his Arpay augmented eyes and ears. Insects? That's what you use repelliants for. All the same, once in a while he has to brush something off that's crawling on him, or else ignore it.

Kieve has stayed in formation, and followed orders hiding and moving when ordered the patrol was particularly tense to wait out, but he crosses with the others and continues moving onward without any complaint or anything of the sort. The signal given to fall into position once more. The pilot will take up his place in the secondary position since well he's only here to take notes more or less and do more at great need.

<FS3> Knox rolls Alertness: Good Success.
<FS3> Henry rolls Alertness: Good Success.
<FS3> Miri rolls Alertness: Great Success.
<FS3> Lleufer rolls Alertness: Amazing Success.
Samtara spends 1 luck points on Dice please behave..
<FS3> Samtara rolls Alertness: Good Success.
<FS3> Kieve rolls Alertness: Great Success.
<FS3> Randy rolls Alertness: Amazing Success.
<FS3> Michael rolls Alertness: Good Success.

Upon coming within visual range, Henry almost gives an appreciative whistle as the gets into position. Then, after a moment, the Engineer takes off his backpack and pulls out some rather bulky looking equipment. Some sort of tripod mounted device is setup, along with laser rangefinders. "I'll just be a moment." Henry informs the group as he flicks a couple switches and aims the laser properly, starting to get to work.

Everyone gets up onto the ridge and what they see before them is far different from what any of them have ever seen in their lives. The ridgeside they are on provides a large view. The ridge slopes gently down to a field of goats and cattle. There's a fence to this closer end that seems to cover and property-mark a Manor House, including a large stable. A low rock wall seems to surround the outlying houses and huts that house the other families. Roughly three dozen people can be seen going about their daily activities, mostly men. Then women can be seen doing laundry by a creek that runs at a low point in the small valley.

Many hundred of meters beyond the walls of the castle are built at the low end of a rise. They look massive and thick, slate gray with parapets and strongpoints every hundred meters or so. There are bulk objects on the top of each but hard to make out from this distance. Skath can be seen patrolling the outside in groups, working the markets by the primary gate. If anyplace were a Skath stronghold, this would be it.

Randy checks the time when Knox is able to check in with their Arpay allies. She gives him a nod, acknowledging him making contact and reporting their progress. She takes some time to get brush herself and gets more comfortable. "It's fine. Let's stay quiet though. Only talk when necessary," Randy says to Sam as with a brief smile. She prefers to use her own green eyes, allowing her to quickly jump to different points in the field and focus quickly, anticipation giving her an edge that bins just can't, along with the field of view. She spots the Skaths on patrol and counts them. Her eyes settle on one of the strongpoints after checking out the patrol and she pulls up her bins to take an even better look. "Someone time the patrol patterns." They're machines. "We got twin cannons on the top of every other strongpoint it looks like. About 200 meters apart. I see men, not machines. Ynyr, use bins…how many do you see?"

Knox has the bushes tied tight. He pulls up his own binocs and has a look around the ville below. He scans across it with a sigh. "Frakkin medieval," he mutters. He's looking for immediate threats, though. Lots of scanning and he starts moving out.

Michael settles into his cover while he listens to the talk between Randy and Sam and Knox. He checks his own rifle for a second, the pulls up his binoculars to get a better look at the fortifications. Under his breath leaks a soft, "holy frak…"

After a few seconds of work, Henry gets a frown that goes to his eyes even as they keep on the scope. "The bulk of that place is standard old style castle. Oak and stone for the gate, Pure granite for the walls at 21 feet thick. G4 and artillery can get through it without much problem if it comes to that. Or, 'frakkin' medieval'. Distance is 826 meters." Henry states as he continues to scan the place.

The young man tag-along looks over the area and makes sure to record his findings on his instruments. Kieve finishes his work on that before speaking into his com "A near-perfect airstrike zone, given the right trained pilots we could hit the patrols, and walls in one go. I've noted the positions." It's back to being quiet after this though.

Angling a nod at Randy, Sam eases back again until she's not on point alongside the Lieutenant and takes a knee again, taking a drink from the canteen at her side before capping it again and returning it to the clip at her side. She reapplies the unscented repellent, wipes the sweat off of her face, checks her sidearm, then turns slowly to sweep a look over the group then widens the visual sweep, memories merging into current terrain in a sort of jarring blend.

<FS3> Knox rolls Stealth: Good Success.
<FS3> Henry rolls Stealth: Failure.
<FS3> Kieve rolls Stealth: Failure.
<FS3> Samtara rolls Stealth: Failure.
<FS3> Michael rolls Stealth: Failure.
<FS3> Randy rolls Stealth: Success.
<FS3> Lleufer rolls Stealth: Amazing Success.
<FS3> Miri rolls Stealth: Good Success.

Lleufer has shifted over to lend Henry a hand for a minute, carefully cutting and moving brush around to help conceal the engineer's equipment, without interfering. He gives the Captain a thumbs up, then pulls back when he hears Randy. Ynyr resumes the looking he had started to do before. He raises his binoculars and studies the walls. His mic is flipped on and he speaks very low, "Looks like .. four men per. Maybe 20 mm gun mounts. Those frakkers are carrying rifles but wearing metal looking armor. Like old fashioned stuff, but not sure if it'd stop a bullet." No way to tell from here. "Those rifles sure look a hell of a lot like the CMC rifles that went missing, Flynn." The Master at Arms' voice sounds like surely that couldn't be the case.

Miri flips her binoculars down, adding the IR feature. She whispers into the coms, "Four patrols of nine Skath each on the outside wall. There's more of them down around the market, along with about four or five hundred civilians."

The whole placement looks nice and serene. People down below going about their business. People taking care of their daily lives. But there's a sudden change after a few seconds. The black masses of Skath Walkers by the gate seem to run back to the gate and take up defensive positions. At the same time the other patrols seem to flood down the other side of the low valley. …And they all seem to be running their direction. 826 meters to the opposite wall and they are suddenly moving very fast to close the distance. Nothing is firing yet, but there are crowds scattering to get away from the Skath moving towards them. Even at this distance one of them can be seen to chop use the blade arm to whack a cattle cleanly in half that was standing in its path.

As soon as Randy sees movement from the Skath in their direction. "Let's pack up and go. Nickel might be blown Knox. Let's kick it to Madras asap." She moves to help Henry pack up his equipment as fast as possible. Frak frak frak. "Knox you think they'll be searching com frequencies now they've spotted something?" She moves around back Henry and stuffs something in his pack before moving to see if anyone else needs help.

Michael sees the wall of Skath heading their way and goes wide eyed for a few moments, whispering, "Oh, that's a lot of bad guys." Captain Obvious, indeed. Randy says its time to go, and the Specialist isnt about to say otherwise. He's up, hunkering down, and falling back, this time with his rifle at the ready. Whoop, whoop, whoop, Curly. We outta here.

At the words 'pack up', Miri is another set of hands quickly helping Henry gather up his gear. She gets ready to move, doing a quick head count. "Yeah, sport, that's a lot of bad guys," she replies to Michael under her breath.

Sam is on her feet again at the sight of the incoming machines. On her feet, ready to run like something is on fire. Dejavu again. "Lieutenant, last time I was here, the only tech on planet was that controlled exclusively by the machines. In a thousand years, and change, they might've upped their game to an active sweep for the that doesn't belong to them. What if we triggered an alarm just by turning on one of the gadgets the captain is carrying?" she wonders and practically fidgets in place with the need to run like hell.

"Well… that's not good." Comes the whispered understatement. The order comes across and he nods returning his equipment to his belt with practiced ease. He'll move to fall back into formation or well the tactical retreat/runathon. Kieve doesnt move away from the others though he will move when they do and how.

Knox see's the groups start to flood down and he inches back. He movement may be slow, but he immediately looks over to Randy. He's got an expectant look to him. "Hell if I know, but I'm calling Madras!" he laughs. Ballsy frakker, but maybe he's feeling his oats with being back in combat. Scooting back down the other side he keys his mic, speaking in Apray again, «Crossbow, Crossbow, Mike-Six-Four. We have been spotted. We are moving on a step to Madras. Say again, we are moving to Madras and expectant in six hours, Over.» He waits a few seconds before giving the thumbs up to Randy. «Copy your last, Crossbow. Request on station CAS, this may be a hot extract! We are on the move. Look for smoke, over.» He's already up and moving.

Lleufer is watching the reaction and timing it on his chronometer to see how quick and thorough the response actually is. The Gunnery Sergeant also rechecks the walls with the binoculars as to what the guys up there with the 20mm guns are doing while the others pack up and prepare to head the frak out. Smaller, stealthy recon teams are usually the norm, but the pilot and the engineer have useful input. He turns his head, "Me and maybe another stealthy person could give them something to chase. Diversion while the rest get out?" Too many machines to hope to slow'm down. Lleu eases back and will take up drag position once more to cover their asses. Knox gets a grin from the other Gunny who's not spooked. Ynyr wants the challenge!

Hearing 'pack up and go', Henry grabs his gear and stuffs his backpack in a hurry with help. He's at least had practiced with fast bugouts, so he isn't *too* far behind the rest of the team as he starts hauling ass with the rest. "If all it takes is a laser finder to sound the alarm, that's some really sensitive gear over there." The Captain replies.

<FS3> Miri rolls Stealth: Great Success.
<FS3> Knox rolls Stealth: Failure.
<FS3> Michael rolls Stealth: Good Success.
<FS3> Samtara rolls Stealth: Failure.
<FS3> Kieve rolls Stealth: Success.
<FS3> Randy rolls Stealth: Success.
<FS3> Henry rolls Stealth: Success.

"No, they can outrun any one of us or even few of us too fast," there's nothing guaranteeing that they'll waffle between two targets on pursuit. Randy relays to Lleu. "We stick together and stay a force." For now.

Getting off the hill is easy. Running is also easy. Sort of. the underbrush makes it a little more difficult due to having to beat it back while passing. The tail gunners in the group have to constantly lag back to make sure everyone is still there — nobody left behind with a Marine mission. The run for hours. Two. Three. Four. They are all heading towards Madras but the Skath behind them can be head to get closer. The Skath have developed the trail through the underbrush and are tracking them. Forty-five of them at last count, possibly more at this point. With the sound of engines overhead, everything seems blown. It's reaching a point where they are at the top of a ridge and looking down with a free fire zone to below, the underscrub not growing on this side of the ridge. Still four miles from the LZ, they hit the point where it is unavoidable.

Randy tries to make her way as quickly as possible to the front of the group, hustling in full gear. PT, lovely PT. Never a bad idea. Still, the run is gruelling. She moves through the trees, careful where runs now that her body has been going and going and going, on extra alert for mistakes or sloppy footing. As they reach the top of the ridge, Randy looks down below and says, "Hold. Take up cover, not all in one glob," for the benefit of some of their less battle-tested in their group. "Knox. Get on the line with our friends. Let's see if we can get some transports down. But we're going to have to get a little dirty here guys. Get ready for a fight."

The look Lleu gives Randy says that's exactly why he suggested it - because the Sheens are faster than their group on foot. But she's the boss, so he only thumbs up to acknowledge and starts to bug out with the rest of them, staying behind the group as they start running. Anybody who lags behind, Ynyr will be right there to haul their ass back up if they trip and fall. If they drop gear, he leaves it. Damned good thing the Arpay fixed his leg years back - he'as in great shape and has no trouble. Even if they are all huffing and puffing after a while. But the Sheens are catching up, on their trail. Ynyr glances up as there's a flyby overhead, "This aint look'n good, Lieutenant." Then they are hitting the ridge and Randy gives her orders. Lleu says, "Some of us have grenades. As they come up, we may be able to send rocks and trees down on them. Look for cover, people!"

Knox is running and well at it. The guy sweats but barely looks tired through it all. His facepaint only looks a few streaks south of where it was. But when Randy calls the halt, he gets into a firing position on the ridgeline and pushes up his rifle. Again, into radio, «Crossbow, Crossbow, Mike-Six-Four. We are under fire and need extract.» He pauses to pull out the map and look. «Two Six One Four Five Nine and speed Buster. Multiple contacts, possible bandits! We need help and an LZ, over!» He waits for the reply, «Say again, Crossbow!» The guy goes wide-eyed and looks back to everyone. "GET YOUR ASSES UNDER YOUR HELMETS! ORBITAL STRIKE! THEY ARE BLOWING OUT AN L-Z! POP YOUR IR!" The small sensors at the front of their vests, the IR beacons. Knox barks it at the top of his lungs before going back to his comms. «Crossbow, Crossbow, popping IR! Give us twenty and rain it down, over!»

<FS3> Randy rolls Demolitions: Good Success.
<FS3> Randy rolls Demolitions: Good Success.
<FS3> Randy rolls Demolitions: Great Success.

"We can't stop, if they run us down they're going to take us prisoner," Sam doesn't say this so much as exhale it as she rocks to a halt when told to look for cover and pivots from side to side to look for the best place to take cover from anyway, scrubbing both hands over her face under the edge of the helmet and ordering her hands to stop shaking as she checks Miri's and Michael's positions. She pivots back toward Knox as she hears his call out then hustles over to take a position alongside Michael, hunching her shoulders down, covering her ears with both hands, scrunching her eyes shut as well and hugging the ground for all she's worth.

Her first mission in twenty-two years and there's a four-hour run. Fantastic. Miri's greasepaint is smudged and smeared, but she doesn't fall behind. Gene therapy is a beautiful thing. At Knox's command she drops down into a crouch by a tree, reaching into a pocket and jamming in some ear protection.

Randy swings her EOD pack around and quickly pulls out a charge. "Setting charges to create a rock fall." She scans the ridgeline and hustles to a key points to set the a few more charges. She calls out where each one is as she places them. "Taking cover." Then she waits…waits….and detonates.

Lleufer yells "Eye and ear protection!" For those Arpay senses that are about to be overloaded with incoming! He pops his IR and hearing Sam, looks about to try and grab her but she hunkers down by Michael. Lleu ducks his head down, covering his ears too. Gives him a minute to suck for air and rest after running his ass off over rough country. Go-go Randy, go boom!

Mom announces she's about to blow something up and this time ISNT talking about the bathroom, and Michael winces and ducks his head a bit, bringing his hands up to cover those oversensitive ears, swearing under his breath as he does so, settling in close to Sam when she closes in.

Henry might do some exercise on Orion to keep in shape, but he's nowhere near what marines do… so by the time they hit the ridge, Henry is a bit winded. "Roger that." He nearly thuds behind a rock as he gets behind cover. His IR beacon is hit, before he pulls his pistol. "Get off the planet covered in APF, see the galaxy. learn something new…" Henry mutters to himself before he gets down. WAY down.

Randy gets back to the position about the same time that her charges blow off. The explosive force against the trees and rock along the ridgeline below hits them all with a wave of heat. Trees and rock blow outward like a mine and the first wave of Skath go down hard. Between the rock and trees, most of them are knocked back and down, most of them missing at least one limb. But then there's another sound. It sounds like freight trains falling from the sky. The sonic booms come in the dozens. Then, half a second later, the terrain behind them begins rolling. Light flashes with every single detonation, each round primed to explode two feet under the terra. Behind them trees begin blowing into the air and falling with a hard crash. Sunlight begins to start showing more and more as the rounds fall, the sound deafening. The amount of explosive force needed is unlike any of them have ever seen employed except a few who were at Santos Ridge. The fore suddenly ceases, though, and looking behind them there is a huge landing zone cleared with fallen trees and churned up terrain. Twenty seconds of sheer violence and then they have an escape route. Assuming the transports arrive.

Kieve at least is used to thinking quickly in combat, on the downside basic training seems like a long time ago with all the running for forever, he is breathing heavily though he still takes note of orders and reaches grabbing his side arm. He'll move to find some cover though the command for IR is followed as well. The pilot remains within cover awaiting for whatever is to happen next. He's at least prepared to do his duty whatever that may be.

Lleufer may not remember a lot about Santos Ridge, even though he was there. Taking a bullet to one's head puts a crimp in his memory logs. Even so, there is a portion of his hindbrain or something that still remembers on some subconscious level the pounding of ordinance that had been like nothing he'd ever experienced before. This is like that, such a heavenly pounding that Ynyr dares to look to see if Knox is … running around holding red smoke canisters? Somehow it's a fragment of dislocated but serious deja vu. Seriously. The Gunny shakes it off, turns his attention down range to see the destruction that Randy's demolitions has wrought. "Nice!" It's a shout that rings out in the near deafening silence after the massive pounding. Below them as well as behind. Ynyr adjusts his position behind what cover he can find in the rocks and trees and readies his rifle. A hand goes back to check his grenades but he has got to wait for them to get close enough to risk a throw.

Knox crawls into a ball while the artillery falls. He's been danger close too many times. When the trees are done falling, he looks up to see the dead Skath and lifts his rifle. He isn't about to give orders, but the guy looks towards the sound of approaching enemies and aims. «Crossbow, Crossbow, Mike-Six-Four! Land them!! We need immediate extract at strike, over!» He only pauses a second, «Crossbow, roll targets two hundred meters eastbound,» he calls with a Saggie accent, «Im-bound Skath. Two hundred meters to five hundred along zero seven zero, fire for effect, over!»

"I've only been here for half a day, but I'll be happy to cash in the refund now. This is not what the brochure promised." Henry finally sits up grumbling from the sudden ringing in his ears as he gets back into cover. "That was worse than the depot explosion near the end of the war, frak me."

Randy barely has enough time to plug her ears. Good thing too. She ducks behind a boulder. The blast kicks up debris and dust from the rock and the surrounding area. Randy flips down NVDs to activate her IR, but then remembers the orbital and shuts her eyes, ducking down again and pressing herself to the ground. "Everyone, take aim! Knox. ETA on transports?" She comes out from her boulder to take up a firing position facing the Machines.

With her forearms pressed to the sides of her head, protecting her ears with more than just her hands at this point, Sam keeps her head down, her eyes scrunched shut, and waits out the series of explosions and accompanying boom. So much about this mission is a mix of surreal and dejavu blended with intense bursts of adrenaline edged terror and an absolute certainty that getting captured again is not an option. The added layer of dejavu from the LZ being 'created' harkens back some 23 years and change and for a moment Sam's expression is confused when she finally lifts her head. She blinks at the medic taking cover nearby and has to carefully slot name into place and build outward from there before she looks at the result from the explosions and draws the pistol from her side. "Steady hands, just like when you're patching up someone who's wounded, you'll do fine. Your mom's trained you well, I'm sure," she murmurs to Michael while shaking off the confusion.

Despite covering his ears, the detonation still makes Michael wince and grunt at the auditory overload, taking a moment to shake his head to clear it. Randy calls for picking targets and the littlest Corpsman pulls his rifle up, clicking off the safety as an angry look crosses his face. He simply nods at Sam's advice and grunts at her, "Yes sir. Shot in the middle of the rotten frakker, put him down, move on to the next. Don't get shot."

His ears may still be ringing but there is nothing wrong with Lleu's eyes. As the dust begins to settle he can pick out shapes moving in the trees and debris below. Then one of the Skath look right at /him/ and Ynyr takes a bead on that son of a bitch for a shot.

Kieve covers his ears yet still the world seems to shake from the blast. He knows the enemy must have closed in though hearing the approach when he uncovers. He'll hold his sidearm at the ready. The pilot knows they have to hang on and so that's what they will try to do. A nod is given to the others in ready, when the enemy comes into range.. he will do his best.

Always bring ear protection. That's rule #1 of Arpay club. Miri feels the blasts more than she hears them, and is up soon afterwards, aiming at one of the Skath bearing down on them.

<COMBAT> Samtara attacks Skath3 with Pistol AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Randy fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Randy attacks Skath1 with Rifle AP+P - Critical wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Randy attacks Skath1 with Rifle AP+P - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Randy attacks Skath1 with Rifle AP+P - Light wound to Neck (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Miri fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Miri attacks Skath2 with Rifle Ap+p and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Miri attacks Skath2 with Rifle Ap+p - ARMOR on Abdomen stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Miri attacks Skath2 with Rifle Ap+p - Critical wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Lleufer fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath6 with Rifle AP+P and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath6 with Rifle AP+P - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Lleufer attacks Skath6 with Rifle AP+P - Critical wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Henry attacks Skath6 with Pistol AP - ARMOR on Abdomen stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Skath3 attacks Michael with LMG Tripod - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Skath1 attacks Randy with LMG Tripod and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Knox fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Knox attacks Skath1 with Rifle Ap+p - Moderate wound to Head (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Knox attacks Skath1 with Rifle Ap+p - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Knox attacks Skath1 with Rifle Ap+p - Critical wound to Chest.
<COMBAT> Kieve attacks Skath2 with Pistol AP - Critical wound to Neck.
<COMBAT> Skath6 attacks Lleufer with LMG Tripod and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Skath5 attacks Kieve with LMG Tripod but MISSES!
<COMBAT> Skath4 attacks Knox with LMG Tripod - Moderate wound to Neck.
<COMBAT> Michael attacks Skath3 with Rifle AP+P - Moderate wound to Head (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Skath7 attacks Henry with LMG Tripod - COVER stops the attack.
<COMBAT> Skath2 attacks Kieve with LMG Tripod and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Knox has started a new turn. Pose and choose your action.
<COMBAT> Skath1 has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Skath2 has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Skath6 has been KO'd!

The Skath coming in are moving past their fallen without even a pause. Then move past the line, firing intelligently and without care. Rounds clip off the rocks all around them and certain rounds catch Marines and others returning fire. Meanwhile the sound of approaching transports can be heard. Their roar gets louder by the moment. And those who have already fallen back off the line can see them starting to descend.

Knox pulls off a hard burst at a single Skath and has a sick grin as he does so. Back to hard combat. He finishes firing off the burst and is moving to another when he spin around, blood flying onto the tree next to him. He clutches his neck and crawls back up to the ridge to start friging again.

Michael squeezes off a round, satisfied that he hit his target…in the head, even! But alas, the Skath does not go down, "Damnit!" His target even returns the favor, the younger Flynn staggered back a few inches with rounds smack him square in the chest, eliciting a pronounced, "Frak, ow." but then just as quickly, he's trying to draw another bead.

He's not terrible at least. A squeeze of the trigger, and his round bounces off the armor of his target. Henry takes a breath as it goes down anyway, and switches targets.

Miri sees Knox get hit and crawls over to where he's firing from the ridge. "Hold still," she murmurs, giving him a shot of a feel-good-and-stay-upright cocktail with an autoinjector before quickly moving to stop the bleeding and get a sheet bandage over the wound.

Randy nails her target with three rounds, one slugging the Skath right in the chest. She takes cover again and sweeps rifle down with her hand, reaching for a grenade from her chest rig with her free hand. "Frags out, get ready to run!" Randy yells and pulls the pin as she steps to the side and times it, hoping to take our more or more big rocks with it. Her blood is pumping in her ears, the familiar surge of adrenaline.

Sam exhales a frustrated breath of sound even as she hears Michael's 'frak, ow' combination and glances sidelong for a brief moment to confirm that he's not hurt. She turns back again, still tracking the same damned machine that she'd shot at the first time (shot in the general DIRECTION of, she'll own that) and tries to hunch lower to the ground at the same time. At Randy's words she braces her elbows against the ground, prepared to leap up and bolt for the newly paved LZ when the word is given.

Lleufer has the satisefaction of seeing the Sheen he fires his burst at, go down! YES! In fact there are a number of impressive shots from the Marine, and even that pilot! It makes the Master at Arms grin like a bastard. But the black army is still coming up the slope. Ynyr judges one of them in the lead and slightly off to one side that looks to be taking aim on Samtara could stand to have a grenade sandwitch. He stays low, doesn't rise up to get a bullet in his head. Maybe he did learn something from Santos Ridge. Lleu keeps his ass down as he pulls the pin, counts to himself and only then rises up enough to clear his arm for a careful throw down slope! "FRAG OUT!"

It was rather quiet besides the movement of the machines, and then not so much. As the weapon fire begins to go off, Kieve will indeed do his part though trying to think about his actions not just acting out of will. He lifts himself only enough to aim, and fire the blaster from the machine hits the rock right beside him sending debris all over. "Ow." he says managing to keep it under his breath though it's not bad just scrapes and small cuts. He will breath before making his next attack.

<COMBAT> Randy uses a Handgrenade Frag!
<COMBAT>
<COMBAT> EXPLOSION! Right Next To Skath4 - Critical wound to Head (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath4 - ARMOR on Right Hand stops the attack!
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath4 - ARMOR on Left Arm stops the attack!
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath4 - Serious wound to Head (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath4 - ARMOR on Right Arm stops the attack!
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath4 - Critical wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath4 - ARMOR on Right Hand stops the attack!
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath4 - ARMOR on Left Leg stops the attack!
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath4 - NEAR MISS!
<COMBAT> Lleufer uses a Handgrenade Frag!
<COMBAT>
<COMBAT> EXPLOSION! Right Next To Skath7 - Serious wound to Head (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath7 - ARMOR on Right Hand stops the attack!
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath7 - ARMOR on Neck stops the attack!
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath7 - ARMOR on Abdomen stops the attack!
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath7 - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath7 - Critical wound to Right Leg (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath7 - ARMOR on Abdomen stops the attack!
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath7 - Moderate wound to Right Leg (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath7 - ARMOR on Abdomen stops the attack!
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath7 - Serious wound to Right Leg (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath7 - ARMOR on Right Hand stops the attack!
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath7 - ARMOR on Left Arm stops the attack!
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath7 - ARMOR on Left Hand stops the attack!
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath7 - ARMOR on Right Hand stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Skath4 attacks Knox with LMG Tripod - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Skath3 attacks Samtara with LMG Tripod - Moderate wound to Right Arm.
<COMBAT> Samtara attacks Skath3 with Pistol AP - Light wound to Right Arm (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Henry attacks Skath3 with Pistol AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Skath5 attacks Miri with LMG Tripod and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Miri treats Knox:
< Neck (Moderate): successful
< Chest (Light): successful
<COMBAT> Michael attacks Skath3 with Rifle AP+P - Serious wound to Left Hand.
<COMBAT> Knox fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Knox attacks Skath7 with Rifle Ap+p - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Knox attacks Skath7 with Rifle Ap+p - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Knox attacks Skath7 with Rifle Ap+p - Moderate wound to Right Arm (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Kieve attacks Skath5 with Pistol AP - Moderate wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Skath7 attacks Samtara with LMG Tripod - Moderate wound to Right Arm (Reduced by Cover).
<COMBAT> Knox has started a new turn. Pose and choose your action.
<COMBAT> Samtara has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Skath3 has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Skath4 has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Skath7 has been KO'd!

With all the radio calls and the strikes coming inbound, there are a few distinct sounds. One of them is the roar of the artillery freight train. Orbital bombardment commences running across the northeast, blowing holes in the trees with the targets being blown apart. There's a mixture of wood and metal twisting with the closer explosions and it walks away as the called fires continue. But the other sound, closer to home and getting louder, is that of the Arpay transports landing. There are huge forest logs to high-jump over to get there, but they hover in position with ramps down. The crewchiefs on each of the three birds step out at roughly the same time and begin laying down heavy fire. Their miniguns dont bark so much as let off colon-rumbling growls as tracers fire into the woods. Skath coming over the ridge fall like a laser is cutting across them, the guns already running a steady amount of steam in the cool air. Nobody can hear them, but they seem to be shouting about getting aboard.

There's too much dust as oridnance rains down on the lower slope, hitting the Skath trying to come up. Ynyr only gets a glimpse of one of them moving around down there and looses it. So as the transports come in and start laying down cover fire downslope, Lleu pulls himself up from between the rocks and starts to fall back. He doesn't have a target anywhere close enough so he doesn't bother to throw his second grenade. He starts hoofing for their exfil, "Ride's here!"

One to the neck, one to the chest. Miri is on it with Knox. He makes a face about it and claps her on the shoulder before getting up. He isn't moving as fast as he normally would, but the guy is making a fast frakkin run for a transport of this rock.

Randy's frag hits her mark, shrapnel tearing into the Skath and causing it to fall backward. It doesn't get up. Randy takes cover again and checks back at the progress of the transports. "Back to the transports!" Randy yells out in case people can't hear the radio over the gunfire. "Fall back!" She starts to move from her position to show people too in case they can't hear, but doesn't retreat all the way. She moves back to leap frog and give people cover. "Leapfrogging. Go!"

<COMBAT> Randy uses a Handgrenade Frag!
<COMBAT> Lleufer passes.
<COMBAT> Michael attacks Skath5 with Rifle AP+P and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Samtara treats Samtara:
< Right_Arm (Moderate): successful
< Right_Arm (Moderate): successful
<COMBAT> Miri fires a 3 round burst!
<COMBAT> Miri attacks Skath5 with Rifle Ap+p - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Miri attacks Skath5 with Rifle Ap+p - ARMOR on Neck stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Miri attacks Skath5 with Rifle Ap+p but MISSES!
<COMBAT> Knox tries to attack but has no target!
<COMBAT> Kieve attacks Skath5 with Pistol AP - Light wound to Left Arm (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Skath5 attacks Miri with LMG Tripod and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Henry attacks Skath5 with Pistol AP and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Knox has started a new turn. Pose and choose your action.

Michael catches Randy's call for leapfrogging and squeezes off another round, while the good doctor next to him takes a hit. He lowers his rifle, apparently getting ready to lunge for her when she manages to sit up and start patching herself. Instead he kneels down next to her and attempts to cover her efforts with more rifle fire, while he rumbles, "C'mon, Colonel. I bring you back shot and Mom's gonna be so damned disappointed." He even offers the Doctor a hand to help her up, intending on running for the shuttle and helping her to it in the process.

There is way too much going on at the moment with explosions and gunfire flung both ways. It's much different then space battle but the same worries, same adrenalin.. and such flows through Kieve and so he can react not frozen by these. He'll pop up again and aim firing he'll wing the machine again though it seems still to be operational. The order is given and he acknowledges though he'll make sure also that people are able to get away indeed begining to peddle backwards moving from cover to cover, only after a few more rocks between them will he fire again covering fire makes sense, but still moving in retreat.

Knocked backward slightly by the first shot, then even more as the second round hits, Sam's vision briefly blurs as she is reminded again why marines swear so much. She indulges in a bit of it herself, though in a breath of a voice instead of screaming them. She slides her pistol into the holster at her side, one hand working the angle from the wrong approach, but she gets it in place before flipping open the field aid kit at her side and works one handed to stop the bleeding. Once she's done what she can, and as quickly as she can, she shrugs the kit back in place and accepts Michael's hand to help her to her feet. "It's just a flesh wound, right?" said with a brief grimace of a smile before she runs at a crouch toward the stealth cloaked transport, bolts up the ramp and throws herself inside to clear the way.

Godsdammit, that last frakker just won't go down. Miri grits her teeth and decides discretion is the better part of valor. Since the doc is wounded and the other corpsman's got her, she's one of the last on the transports, just to cover their asses in case someone gets shot on the way there.

Cooper is still bleeding from his neck, but the wound will hold for the moment. He fires over the shoulder with his rifle as he runs for the transports. The guy climbs up into the first one he can get to and lays onto his back looking out the read with the gunner. His rifle comes up, looking for covering fire. "MOVE MOVE MOVE!" the Gunnery Sergeant screams as loud as he can.

Lleufer runs back but he's watchful of anyone of their group who needs assistance. Especially anyone who's hit. "Don't waste more shots! Fall back! Load up! You'll endanger the transports if we keep'm here even a minute more than we have to! HUSTLE!" He smacks a shoulder to get moving and then runs the rest of the way himself, not wasting time on more shooting.

Once they get down within range of the transports, Randy keeps covering the rear of their little pack and then finally makes a run for it, but not before pulling the pin on her last frag and throwing it in her wake, lobbing over her shoulder. She's already mentally preparing herself to hit the deck should the gunners need to clear her rear view.

There's no gunfire heading towards Henry right now, so he just hauls ass over to the transports. *Puff Huff Huff* There's no breathing as he heads for safety.

<COMBAT> Lleufer passes.
<COMBAT> Knox tries to attack but has no target!
<COMBAT> Randy uses a Handgrenade Frag!
<COMBAT>
<COMBAT> EXPLOSION! Right Next To Skath5 - Serious wound to Head (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath5 - ARMOR on Left Foot stops the attack!
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath5 - Moderate wound to Right Foot (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath5 - ARMOR on Head stops the attack!
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath5 - ARMOR on Chest stops the attack!
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath5 - Serious wound to Abdomen (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath5 - ARMOR on Left Leg stops the attack!
<COMBAT> SHRAPNEL! Skath5 - Moderate wound to Right Leg (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Miri passes.
<COMBAT> Samtara passes.
<COMBAT> Kieve attacks Skath5 with Pistol AP - Light wound to Chest (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Henry passes.
<COMBAT> Skath5 attacks Michael with LMG Tripod and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Michael passes.
<COMBAT> Knox has started a new turn. Pose and choose your action.
<COMBAT> Skath5 has been KO'd!

Orbital artillery falling from halfway across the star system, it takes a few to walk out. But when the gunners get the green light, everything goes to shit against nature. Massive artillery rounds begin falling across the woods, cutting a huge swath. As the transports begin to take off the passengers can see the violence involved. To the northeast there are swatches of black hordes being cut apart by artillery. It all continues to fall as the ships close up their rear hatches. Up front, there are the sounds of multiple radar and dardis locks. Missiles are being fired, tryring to shoot them down. But a slow count … 3,2,1,.. They jump back to the Arpay carrier.

"Sitrep," Randy calls out when she finally makes it back to the transport. "Wounded?" She knows they got everyone back because she counted them when she was running that last bit of the way. She made it out somehow without a scratch, but as soon as she straps in, she digs out her few first aid supplies she's brought with her. As soon as they've jumped, she looks around to spot where Michael is, realizing she'd held her breath there for a moment or two.

Quick, shallows breathes for a moment are heard as Henry sucks in air. Winded, but getting better, the Engineering Captain finally takes a dee pbreath, before he gives a thumb up. A moment later, he's sitting down and locking in.

As soon as he's strapped in, Ynyr slings his rifle and pulls his water canteen. A nice good drink while he looks around, doing the same as Randy in checking they have everyone and what condition they are in. Then he hands his water bottle to Samtara, "Everyone should hydrate." If any of the Arpay are within a shout, Ynyr adds, "Thanks for the lift!" He double taps his heart, in good spirits. Knox is bleeding some but hey, his buddy is tough shit and looks like he'll be OK.

Michael grunts softly as he sits back up from where he and the doctor took running dives INTO the transport, then clears his throat, "Colonel's been hit, but I think she's okay, sir." Phew. As if it was possible, Michael looks a little paler when he started…the bullet dent square in the center of his armor might have had something to do with that.

"Doc and Coop," Miri replies to Randy, sort of strapping herself in, but not all the way, so she can reach over to bandage up Knox's neck more securely.

Kieve somehow managed to hit the last of the closest machines along with others, and then well it's time to get out of there. He will make the ship and just have time to strap himself in or well hold on at very least, he'll return his sidearm to it's place on his hip and likewise will get a drink though he is breathing rather heavily and so no talking for the pilot right now.

Sam straps herself back into the exact seat she'd vacated not so long ago and accepts the water bottle that Lleu hands to her, "Just a flesh wound," she says again. She take a drink of the water, makes a face as she gets as much dust and grit with the water then drinks more anyway. "Miri, how's Knox?" then passes the water bottle back to Lleu before she turns slightly and smiles at Michael. "Thanks for the hand up, by the way."

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License