AWD #269: Alert 5 CSAR
AWD #269: Alert 5 CSAR
Summary: Alert 5 Raptors and Vipers are launched to pick up some badly injured Marines
Date: 02/10/2013
Related Logs: None
Warren Atalanta Phin Holtz Zhen Jena Bennett Ygraine 
Air Space over Picon
The unfriendly skies
Sun Oct 02, 2005

The story thus far…

The call from the ground came in minutes ago, a marine squad ambushed, heavy casualties requesting medivac extraction. With other fights breaking out over Picon at the same time, its the strikes and the ghosts that are up on the list for this one. Last transmission did not seem to paint a very nice picture of the situation and everyone is being launched at all due haste. Oh and to top things off, there seems to be a sketchy report of raiders headed in that direction. From the location of the transmission recieved they appeared to be a ways off, and that might not be their actual destination.

Having been on alert five at the time the call went out, St. Clair was one of the first pilots to suit up and climb into a raptor. She goes through her systems checks swiftly but methodically, and doublechecks her crew and supply manifest for the potential CSAR. "Looks like we've drawn one another today, Lieutenant," she tells Zhen over her shoulder with a small smile before she pulls her helmet on. "Hatch, please." And then she's signalling to the waiting deckies for a tow.

Ain't no party like a hastily thrown together Cylon hunting party, is there? It's one of the joys of the entire ship being set to Condition 2. Alert Vipers? They're pretty much all alert Vipers. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that when the CAG comes scrambling down to the deck, she's doing so half-dressed, her flighsuit dangling around her waist and wearing her t-shirt, but still yanking the matching tank down over her head. Judging by her current pallor, her vaguely dazed expression, and her frazzled hair? The poor woman was trying to grab some rack — finally. So much for that. "Specialist!," Atalanta barks out, "Where's my —", she begins, cut off as her seal collar is thrust at her before she even finishes her sentence.

It's been awhile since Zhen's last been in a Raptor but being in the backseat has her feeling good. Like she's home. "Yes, sir," she is quick to say before the switch for the hatch is toggled and, with a hiss of hydraulics, it lifts into place. Another sweep of her console is given before she adds, "DRADIS is up and running and all is green back here. Good to go whenever."

Phin comes rushing to the deck looking for all the world like he was startled awake by the sirens. Which, he well might've been. He's all flight suited up, though, so he quickly hops in his Viper and goes through a quickie pre-flight.

His first day back on active duty since the beginning of the invasion, Holtz is also one of the lucky ones on the alert-5 shift. Already suited up, he's idly conversing with one of the other ready pilots when the launch order blares from the intercom overhead. He doesn't sigh or curse at the summons; from the look on his face, and the matter-of-factness with which he grabs his helmet and heads in the direction of his parked fighter, he'd expected some kind of action today. Scrambling up the ladder to the cockpit, he's followed by his crew chief, who swiftly hands him his seal collar, followed by his helmet. Once he's squared away, he closes his canopy and runs through pre-flight as the aircraft handlers wheel him to a launch tube.

As soon as the call had gone out, Jena had raced to the Hangar suited and booted, and slipped into her assigned Raptor just before the hatch closes. She offers a grin to the ECO and the Pilot before taking a seat and fastening the safety belt around her. "PO Jena Cruz," she tosses out there for the other two.

Wasn't it just last night that Warren was remarking to Phin about feeling like he could probably fall asleep in his Viper better than his rack? Well it seems to be somewhat true though he wasn't precisely asleep, he's been in there long enough, but the alert and the sirens certainly snap him to attention. Collar, helmet, all gets snapped into place as he quickly starts running through pre-flight. Its not long before he's giving the thumbs up to the deck to move him into launch position.

Bennett glances at the clipboard that's been tossed atop a few other loose sheets of paper, on the unused copilot's seat, and verifies that the name there does indeed read 'Petty Officer Jena Cruz'. "Welcome aboard," she offers in return with a smile that's weary around the edges, but not unfriendly. And then the noise of the engines spooling up begins to drown out cabin conversation. One, two, exhaust flaps open and VTOL vents rotated for liftoff. And away they go.

Zhen turns and looks at the passenger, giving Jena a smile. "Hey. You can call me Rainbow when we're in the bird. Nice to meet you, P.O." THe greeting's concluded just as liftoff begins, this being when she has to keep her mind on her job. There will be plenty of time to converse with each other once they're back.

Atalanta hastily pulls her flight suit up and pops her collar into place. She locking her collar into place at the same time her crew chief is locking the canopy back into place, putting multiple layers of glass between her and the outside world. A quick pre-flight check, the list cut down to nothing but the bare bones necessary to get her into the air. Ahhh, the joys of war time.

Phin gives his head a shake, trying to jar himself into as much alertness as possible. Pre-flight's as done as it's ever going to be, and he just holds for the order to launch.

[Into the Wireless] Phin says, "Flight, Dolly. Systems green. Ready to go on the word."

Talk about perfect timing. Holtz finishes his pre-flight with all lights coming back green just as his fighter starts crossing the threshold into the launch tube. Once he's secure, the radio crackles and the launch officer begins his countdown; he and Holtz trade thumbs-up gestures, and suddenly his Viper is being rocketed forward as the catapults hurl him out through the launch tube. As he clears the ship he angles his nose down hard in the direction of the planet below.

"Thank you," Jena flashes another quick smile to both the Pilot and the ECO. "Rainbow," used to call signs, she doesn't hesitate but just as they liftoff, she turns her attention to check over her personal weapon, then towards the door gun. Everything looked sound and in working order.

Rolled into the catapult and locked in place, ready to launch. Warren flips things on, ready for that suddent burst of g-forces to force him back into his seat. Theres a glance over towards the control room, giving the thumbs up to signal he's ready for launch when ready. It isn't long before he's punching into the black just after Holtz.

[Into the Wireless] Warren says, "Flight, Toast. Systems green and in the black."

[Into the Wireless] Holtz says, "Flight, Storm is clear and free to navigate."

[Into the Wireless] Atalanta says, "Flight, Teatime. Systems clear. Form up."

[Into the Wireless] Bennett says, "Flight, Butch. Moving into defensive formation. Lead the way."

[Into the Wireless] Phin says, "Flight, Dolly. Out and forming up. On your five, Storm."

[Into the Wireless] Warren says, "Teatime, Toast. Copy that. Forming up."

"How's it lookin', Hammer?" Ygraine asks as they move to form up. Her pilot grunts in response, which somehow she manages to interpret that everything is five by five. "Roger that. Scanning for inbound enemy DRADIS contacts."

Bennett's raptor shudders as it reaches the planet's gravity well; the pull on her flight controls is immediate, and requires some not-so-delicate stickhandling to maintain attitude. White-hot flames begin to engulf the bus's heat shield, and as their velocity increases sharply, the bulky bird begins to resemble a hurtling fireball. "I hope you are buckled in tight," murmurs the pilot, her voice jittering with the rough entry into the planet's atmosphere.

Atmo's rough normally, but its particularly bumpy tonight, wonderful storm front rolling in. It hasn't hit yet, but its making its presence showin in the turbulance bouncing people around. Makes for a truely 'wonderful' ride. As the flight starts to settle in on its flight to the LZ where the marines are the turbulance is a bit less. Not perfect but when is atmo ever perfect flying? Either way LZ's about 10 mins out.

Once upon a time, bouncy flights really did a number on Rainbow's gut (ask her how she got her callsign someday) but thankfully all the time spent in the bird has made her less prone to motion sickness. Big help, that, as it makes it all the easier for her to keep her attention on the readouts and not on having to keep herself from puking while wearing her helmet. "I'm alright, Butch. How are you doing, Cruz?"

Phin does indeed form up on Holtz's five o'clock as he flits free of the battlestar. Into space, then bound and down for atmo. The yank of gravity throws him back against his seat. But, on the plus side, it contributes to really jolting him awake. He checks his instruments, but mostly just tries to use his visuals to keep himself in formation with his lead and flightmates.

There were reasons that Atalanta always hated in-atmo flights. The entry from space was usually one of them; her damned Viper shudders and shakes like it's some hyperactive child's toy rather a combat airframe and it takes all of her effort just to keep the ol' girl flying in a straight line. It's not made much easier by having her vision cut off by flicking orange flames, but that's what things like her HUD is for, right?

Jumping out of a Raptor is easy, swimming in icy water, not so much but bearable.. a shaky ship though, that is a trifle unsettling. Something Jena didn't have control over. Eyeing the pilot and the ECO, she gets over it as quickly as the unsettling feeling came over her. "I'm hanging in, Thanks." A smile slants over her lips, more telling than the words perhaps, but all in all, she's holding her own.

Well, the friendly reminder was likely more for Jena's benefit than her ECO's, but Bennett tosses a grin Rainbow's way regardless. If it were possible to enjoy this sort of thing, well, she doesn't look terribly bothered by the chop. "Adjusting course for the LZ," she informs the two behind her, banking the raptor with a wing drag to port as they skim through cumulus and out of the worst of the turbulence. "ETA looks like eight minutes. Long-range scanners picking up any unfriendlies, Rainbow?"

Warren holds tight on the stick as he punches into Atmo. Hes somewhat used to it. Nowhere near his first time flying on Picon. But all that doesn't stop him from muttering and cursing as he fights to keep his viper straightish and informationish, "Fraking gods damn storms. Fraking atmo. Fraking hold together you fraking bucket of bolts, come on…come on."

<FS3> Zhen rolls Ecm: Success.

<FS3> Ygraine rolls Ecm: Good Success.

There's nothing on the DRADIS which gives Zhen more of a reason to smile. "No enemy contacts so far, Butch. Free and clear." Or it is for now, at least. Maybe they'll be lucky and arrive during the Cylons' naptime and they won't know they're coming.

Holtz's Viper rattles slightly as he slides into atmo. He grimaces a bit, but compensates, eyes on his readouts as the flickering flames obscure his vision.

Ygraine likewise reports to her pilot that there are thus far no DRADIS contacts. Hammer grunts in acknowledgement. Which gives Yggy enough cause to roll her eyes.

[Into the Wireless] Atalanta says, "Flight, Teatime. Vipers, I want each section to pair up with the buses — two on one, until we hit the LZ. If anything pops up on your DRADIS, sing out and we'll break off."

[Into the Wireless] Warren says, "Teatime, Toast. Copy that."

[Into the Wireless] Holtz says, "Teatime, Storm copies. Dolly and I'll stay with Butch."

Phin shadows Holtz as the order to guard a particular Raptor is given by the CAG., angling over to do guard duty over Bennett's Raptor. He strains his eyes across Picon's skies, as if they might spot something his instruments don't. They do not, of course.

Jena remains quiet, now that the Raptor is settled moreso, she relaxes to watch the Pilot and ECO, the way they apparently know their own jobs so well. The door gun is given another look and her pack is safely with her. Nothing on the DRADIS.. that was good.

Warren works the stick, angling over towards Hammer's Raptor, keeping in formation as he does so. At least down here the turbulance isn't so bad. Either way its still somewhat bumpy on occasion, not ideal but it'll do. He keeps his eyes moving, from the sky to his DRADIS, constantly checking both for incoming.

The LZ is a clearing that appears to be just large enough for two raptors to land with a bit of space between. Its probably a klik or two away from the main road, where a few wrecks sit, some still smoldering, perhaps the convoy the marines were in. If it was it doesn't look great for the marines situation. The marines, if they are there, are most certainly not in the clearing as the flight approaches, perhaps in the treeline.

[Into the Wireless] Atalanta says, "Butch, Teatime. Do you have comm lines with their JTAC open? TAC 2? TAC5?"

Rather than put down right away, Bennett maneuvers the raptor in for a flyby of the area. Her helmeted head turns toward the windscreen as she scans for signs of their marines - or the enemy - below.

[Into the Wireless] Bennett says, "Teatime, Butch. Standby."

<FS3> Bennett rolls Alertness: Good Success.

[Into the Wireless] Bennett says, "Teatime, Butch. Comm line is open, but not a peep so far."

Holtz keeps Bennett's Raptor in sight as she circles over the clearing. He's not ignoring his DRADIS, though; every few seconds his eyes flick to the sensor display as if expecting at any moment to see the red blips of the Raiders they were warned were in the area.

[Into the Wireless] Bennett says, "Flight.. Flight, Butch, there is movement in the treeline, approximately.. one two two mark niner zero. Make that niner three. Rainbow, Milkshake, are you getting any heat signatures down there?"

<FS3> Ygraine rolls Ecm: Great Success.
<FS3> Zhen rolls Ecm: Good Success.

Phin falls into a circling pattern with Holtz's Viper as Bennett does her flyby. He has to stop himself from squinting down at the ground. The Raptors are already doing that, and it's not why he's here. Instead, he keeps his eyes on the air. These are, after all, unfriendly skies.

<FS3> Phin rolls Alertness: Success.
<FS3> Warren rolls Alertness: Failure.
<FS3> Holtz rolls Alertness: Good Success.
<FS3> Zhen rolls Ecm: Success.
<FS3> Ygraine rolls Ecm: Good Success.

[Into the Wireless] Ygraine says, "Flight, Milkshake. I'm getting heat signatures in the trees with movement, but not a whole lot. Rainbow, can you verify?"

"There are multiple heat signatures but some overlap, Butch. Not sure what that means, though." A quick turn of Zhen's head puts her line of sight out the windshield of the Raptor but then she looks at the screen. "Shit. There was a blip, sir!" If asked, she gives the co-ords.

[Into the Wireless] Zhen says, "Flight, Rainbow. Readings confirmed. Multiple heat signatures and I just picked up a bip as well, over."

[Into the Wireless] Ygraine says, "Flight, Milkshake, confirmed! Multiple DRADIS contacts inbound!"

"Coordinates?" Bennett pushes the flight yoke up slowly as the raptor burns tylium with a low whine and circles skyward once more. "Cruz, be ready to pop your harness and move if need be."

[Into the Wireless] Atalanta says, "Flight, Teatime. Vipers break off to intercept. Say again, Vipers break off to intercept."

[Into the Wireless] Bennett says, "Copy, Milkshake. Teatime, requesting permission to land and have Hammer remain airborne for suppression support."

Jena is already there, hands on the harness, ready to jump out if they land, but basically awaiting orders from the Pilot or the Captain calling the shots. At the moment, she remains strapped in though. "Yes, Sir," she tells Bennett.

[Into the Wireless] Atalanta says, "Butch, Teatime. Confirmed. Go pick up the cargo. We've got you covered."

Holtz can already see the distant glint of sunlight on a Raider hull even as the Raptors are reporting their scanner returns over the comms. He turns in the direction of the oncoming contacts, gunning his throttle as he searches for his first target.

Phin is only a split second behind Holtz in breaking off toward the incoming bandits, at Atalanta's order. Weapons hot, ready to go free once he's within range.

[Into the Wireless] Atalanta says, "Flight, Teatime. Fangs out, gentleman. Toast, follow on my five o'clock."

Raiders? Why yes, yes they decided to show up. Two pairs, and they seem to be working like it, for sure, engaging the lead Vipers while their 'wingmates' dive after the raptors.

Warren works the stick to the side and hits his thruster pedal bringing his viper around, watching Atia's tail as he does so. Check 4 raiders. Looks like that intell on raiders moving into the area was good at least, however sketchy it was. He watches their formation and how they're diving and imediately moves to go after the one diving on his wingmate.

[Into the Wireless] Warren says, "Teatime, Toast. Copy, got your five."

Zhen takes no time in trying to suppress one of the enemy fighters, her ECM suite already powered up. Just got to pray for a bit of luck and the blessing of the Lords of Kobol.

As soon as confirmation comes across the radio, Bennett's raptor swoops down from its cruising altitude and noses up a few seconds before touchdown to create some last-minute lift. It's a rough landing by all accounts, and there's simply no room to wiggle free of the bead one of the raiders seems to have on her. Dirt and grass spray up around them as the bus's skids meet the ground, then the roar of the engines being throttled down. "We're down, let's go, go, go!" Manning the hatch is left to Zhen.

[Into the Wireless] Phin says, "Storm, Dolly. One of them's eyeing you. On it."

[Into the Wireless] Ygraine says, "Butch, Milkshake. Me an' Hammer are stayin' up, but holler if ya need another boat."

[Into the Wireless] Bennett says, "Copy that, Milkshake."

Go time. Jena deftly unfastens and flings off her harness and tugs on her pack, throwing herself out the hatch as soon as it's opened, her gun raised and ready. The heat signatures had come from the trees, and she looks in that direction before quickly heading that direction, a target, but a moving one!

Atalanta frowns down at her DRADIS, at those infernal red dots. Gods, they've wiped how many of them off the map in the last week and they still keep coming back for more? A few muttered words pour out of her mouth, inaudible on the wireless — which is probably for the best, given a few of the things she's accidentally said over it before. Since Warren's got her tail, she banks sharply left, circling back towards the clearing where Bennett's touched down. Here, she'll make her stand against the Raider barrelling towards them. Here; it won't be allowed any closer.

<COMBAT> Triggering new turn.
<COMBAT> Raider1 attacks Holtz with KEW - Serious wound to Body (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Bennett passes.
<COMBAT> Ygraine suppresses Raider4 with Ecm. <unsuccessful>
<COMBAT> Warren attacks Raider3 with KEW - Moderate wound to Body.
<COMBAT> Holtz attacks Raider1 with KEW - Moderate wound to Right Wing.
<COMBAT> Raider4 attacks Rspilot with KEW - ARMOR on Controls stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Jena passes.
<COMBAT> Zhen suppresses Raider2 with Ecm. <successful>
<COMBAT> Raider3 attacks Atalanta with KEW but MISSES!
<COMBAT> Raider2 attacks Bennett with KEW but MISSES!
<COMBAT> Phin attacks Raider1 with KEW but MISSES!
<COMBAT> Atalanta attacks Raider2 with KEW and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Rspilot passes.
<COMBAT> Warren has started a new turn. Pose and choose your action.
<COMBAT> Raider-1315o has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Raider1 has been KO'd!

The scene on the ground is worse than the scene on the main road. The marines are just inside the treeline. Theres not a single Marine not covered in some blood. Some have scorch marks, others burns. Theres a few of them laid out on the ground. A couple of the marines working on them the best they can. Theres certainly more than would fit on one raptor. Theres at least one who's laying there unattended by the other marines.

<FS3> Ygraine rolls Ecm: Great Success.

Holtz and the leading Raider scream towards each other, blue and red streams of KEW fire criss-crossing in the sky. Holtz is struck hard amidships, but his armor holds… which is more than his target can say. Holtz's fire tears into the Raider's wing, and the Cylon fighter loses control, throwing itself into an out of control spiral before exploding in midair.

"Brace for incoming," Bennett murmurs into her helmet, gaze sketching skyward through her windscreen as the raider bearing down on them opens up its guns.. and misses by a mile. "Good work," she tacks on with a grin for her ECO.

Phin fires off a volley of gunnery fire, but it misses the Raider tangling with Holtz. Fortunately, his lead down it. He circles around to resume his coverage of Bennett's Raptor.

[Into the Wireless] Phin says, "Storm, Dolly. Sing out. That looked harsh."

[Into the Wireless] Bennett says, "Cruz, this is Butch. Sitrep, please; do we have friendlies?"

Zhen can't help but to whoop a little when the readout notifies that her target has been suppressed. The same Raider will continue to be targeted for now.

[Into the Wireless] Holtz says, "Dolly, Storm, I'm five by five. Worry about the godsdamn toasters."

Raider aquired, Warren swoops in as Atia breaks, pouring fire into its mid section. It doesn't go down, but it does enough to throw its fire off of Atia at least. He presses hard on his thruster pedal, and pulls on the stick, working to get around behind the Raider again as it keeps charging after Atia.

Gods, it'd been too long since she'd flown with anyone by Agrippa on her wing. Wasn't Warren supposed to…. no, no. How would he know? She didn't call it out on the radio. As the bandit on her tail sends a blast of KEW somewhere she wasn't expecting, Atalanta is forced to break off, break away from the trail she was sniffing down. Her shot goes with it, firing wiiiiiide.

[Into the Wireless] Phin says, "Storm, Dolly. Always. Looks like Hammer's Raptor has picked up a bandit. I can pursue if you and Teatime has Butch's pursuer covered."

[Into the Wireless] Bennett says, "Cruz, this is Butch. Sitrep, please; do we have friendlies? (re for Jena)"

Continuing her run for the trees, as soon as Jena gets there and takes in the scene, she's on her knees, tending the worst looking unattended one while she calmly speaks into her com.

[Into the Wireless] Jena says, "Butch, Cruz. Copy, friendlies.. *Using her peripheral she counts more than could fit in one bus* We're going to need both Raptors, repeat, both Raptors. Many are wounded, need pick-up Now."

The marines look paniced almost. There is a -lot- of blood. None of them look good. Some look better than others, and that some? Well they're trying to keep the marines alive that aren't as good. The ones laid out without people working on them? They're not breathing. One of them is the corpsman, shrapnel sticking out of his jugular. "Frak! Gods! Where have you been. Frak it! Thanks for coming," one of them shouts. Frak these guys need it the worse." He looks up seeing just one raptor in the clearing, "Frak tell me you have another? We aint all fitting on one." Well maybe they could if they left the dead but they don't seem too keen on that thought.

[Into the Wireless] Bennett says, "Cruz, Butch. I copy. Please ask them if they are aware of any enemy presence on the ground, in this vicinity."

[Into the Wireless] Bennett says, "Hammer, Milkshake, this is Butch. We require another bus on the ground, please land as soon as you are able for evac of multiple wounded."

[Into the Wireless] Ygraine says, "Butch, Milkshake. We're on our way."

[Into the Wireless] Warren says, "> <Hammer> Butch, Hammer. Copy that"

<COMBAT> Triggering new turn.
<COMBAT> Zhen suppresses Raider2 with Ecm. <successful>
<COMBAT> Holtz attacks Raider2 with KEW - Moderate wound to Left Wing.
<COMBAT> Warren attacks Raider3 with KEW - Light wound to Weapon.
<COMBAT> Phin attacks Raider4 with KEW - Serious wound to Right Wing.
<COMBAT> Jena passes.
<COMBAT> Atalanta attacks Raider2 with KEW - Serious wound to Engine.
<COMBAT> Ygraine suppresses Raider4 with Ecm. <successful>
<COMBAT> Raider2 attacks Bennett with KEW but MISSES!
<COMBAT> Rspilot passes.
<COMBAT> Raider3 attacks Atalanta with KEW and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Bennett passes.
<COMBAT> Raider4 attacks Rspilot with KEW and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Warren has started a new turn. Pose and choose your action.
<COMBAT> Raider-7729c has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Raider2 has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Raider-3335i has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Raider3 has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Raider-8744r has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Raider4 has been KO'd!

<FS3> Phin rolls Alertness: Good Success.
<FS3> Holtz rolls Alertness: Success.
<FS3> Warren rolls Alertness: Good Success.
<FS3> Bennett rolls Alertness: Great Success.
<FS3> Zhen rolls Ecm: Success.

"We have another Raptor. Don't worry, we'll get you out even if I have to stay here." Grimly, Jena moves to the more mortally wounded, giving the spokesman of the Marines a calm look of reassurance. "Take it easy man, you're going to panic everyone and that'll just end badly for everyone. C'mon, get the able bodied taking the not so able to the Raptor. Fill the bus and we'll get the other one down here for the rest of us." All the while her voice is calm, reassuring, hopeful. "No one is getting left behind." Oh.. and determined. "Is there any enemy presence on the ground that you know of in this vicinity?"

[Into the Wireless] Jena says, "Butch, Cruz, Copy. Asking… hold for answer."

<FS3> Atalanta rolls Alertness: Great Success.

Phin goes in straight and hard for the Raider on Hammer and Milkshake's Raptor. It's not particularly flashy gunnery work, but he gets the jump on the chrome plane, and it does the job. A shot taking out its wing throws it off balance, and he's able to finish it off with a few more rounds as it crashes earthward.

<FS3> Ygraine rolls Ecm: Failure.

Far from being idle, Bennett is busy scrolling through sensor logs for any abnormalities, laying out first aid equipment that Jena might require, and generally keeping an eye on the angry raiders zipping about above. The same one swoops in to fire on them again, but still can't seem to get a lock. "You're doing great," she tells her backseater. "I am going to need you to unbuckle yourself and prepare to help Cruz with loading up those marines— shit." The rest is relayed over comms.

Zhen grits her teeth and for a second the others just might be able to hear them being ground together. Yeah, looks like this has the potential of being a very long day.

Ygraine grips her console as Hammer banks hard on his way to landing the raptor. Without a PJ it's her job to prep for the incoming, that means she can't spend as much time as she'd like on DRADIS.

[Into the Wireless] Atalanta says, "Flight, Teatime. Butch, Hammer… either of you have a reading on what the frak that is?"

[Into the Wireless] Zhen says, "Flight, Rainbow. I got another contact on the DRADIS. Repeat, there's another blip, folks. Be on your toes."

[Into the Wireless] Bennett says, "Flight, Butch. I am seeing something.. something large approaching the LZ.. trying to feed you some coordinates."

[Into the Wireless] Phin says, "Hammer, Milkshake, Dolly. Your six is clear. Shouldn't have anything on you as you're putting down."

The marine nods to Jena, "Corpsmans dead. We're barely holding on. Fraking toasters ambushed us," he says trying to hold preasure on the guy bneath him. "Frak. I don't know, maybe? They kinda ran after we got hit I think. I don't know. We're all doing bad." He gives a nod to some of the guys motioning them to start moving some to the raptor.

The skies however are alight with raiders going down. But then theres suddently a glint, then more. Its another section. A turkey, or in other words a heavy. And its diving hard. Very hard. And its brought presents! More raiders… How considerate of it!

[Into the Wireless] Bennett says, "Teatime, Butch. Negative, standby."

"See if you can figure out what that is," Bennett calls over her shoulder to Zhen, and cranes her neck to check up on Jena's progress over by the edge of the treeline. And then it becomes clear, fast, what she spotted in the sky. Working her jaw slightly, the pilot eases back into her seat and prepares to get them moving again. "I do not want to be a sitting duck if that thing decides to gun for us," she murmurs.

Never could she knowingly invite more into a danger, live zone, without warning them. Jena nods to the Marine, her eyes glancing towards the Corpsman with a pained expression. Frak! Calling back over the com, she continues deftly moving her fingers, stanching the flow of blood from the more wounded Marine she's currently working on. Impassive.. she has to force herself to go there to that zone.

Scratch one more Raider, as Warren pours more fire into it, its a lighter hit but enough to throw it into a uncontrolled spin. Regardless he's turning, forming up more on Atia when the calls on coms come. He's looking up and…Well frak. More raiders…and a big guy. Aint that grand? He shifts his position, moving with Atia.

Zhen gets one more Raider locked on before she tries to find what it is that Bennett is asking her to look for. Being busy up until now, she isn't sure what it is she's looking for so it gets a fair chunk of her attention temporarily.

[Into the Wireless] Jena says, "Butch, Cruz. They're unsure, they're bad off, several dead… *her voice hesitates when she too sees the shadow looming* FRAK! *It comes across the com.* Make the call, Butch. Stay or go, but I'm not leaving them."

[Into the Wireless] Ygraine says, "Cruz, Milkshake. We'll be landin' shortly and I'll be prepped to receive. Send th'most ambulatory our way so ya can see t'the worst of th'lot."

Phin angles back up to rejoin Holtz…just in time for more incoming Raiders. So many. He notes the one on him but, as he is wont to do, he ignores it. Making his flying a little dodgier, but other than than trying to pour his focus into the one targeting Storm.

Holtz stifles a curse as several more red blips appear on DRADIS just as the three they'd been tangling with disappear one by one in rapid succession. Mindful of the damage he's taken, he flies in an evasive pattern, juking and swerving his way through the sky as he bears down on the Raider that seems to be breaking off for a strafing run on Butch's landed Raptor.

[Into the Wireless] Bennett says, "Cruz, Butch, we've got one bus down and waiting for evac, and one incoming. You heard Milkshake, send us what you can. Do you require assistance?"

Bennett shakes her head to Zhen when the ECO gives her that questioning look. It seems whatever it was is no longer relevant.

[Into the Wireless] Jena says, "Milkshake, Cruz, Copy, leading them out now. Butch, negative, the more able bodied can assist in carrying out the others."

<COMBAT> Triggering new turn.
<COMBAT> Thuglyfe attacks Warren with KEW - Light wound to Body.
<COMBAT> Rspilot passes.
<COMBAT> Jena passes.
<COMBAT> Bennett passes.
<COMBAT> Atalanta attacks Raider5 with KEW and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Zhen suppresses Raider6 with Ecm. <successful>
<COMBAT> Raider88 attacks Holtz with KEW and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Raider5 attacks Warren with KEW but MISSES!
<COMBAT> Ygraine suppresses Raider7 with Ecm. <successful>
<COMBAT> Warren attacks Raider7 with KEW - Moderate wound to Right Wing.
<COMBAT> Raider6 attacks Bennett with KEW - ARMOR on Engine stops the attack!
<COMBAT> Phin attacks Raider88 with KEW - Moderate wound to Cockpit.
<COMBAT> Holtz attacks Raider6 with KEW - Critical wound to Cockpit.
<COMBAT> CREW HIT! Raider6 - Light wound to Left Leg.
<COMBAT> CREW HIT! Raider6 - Moderate wound to Right Hand.
<COMBAT> CREW HIT! Raider6 - NEAR MISS!
<COMBAT> Raider7 attacks Phin with KEW and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Warren has started a new turn. Pose and choose your action.
<COMBAT> Raider-1486j has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Raider6 has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Raider-5580e has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Raider88 has been KO'd!

Assistance… Looking at the leader of the Marine who seems to be the voice of the others, Jena narrows her gaze. "Get the most ambulatory out. NOW! I want everyone who is able to carry or assist another to do it. NOW! I will not allow you to sacrifice the Pilots by lingering. Load yourselves into the Raptors." And taking it upon herself, she lifts her shoulder under the wounded man to help him to his feet so he can assist her in helping himself out of the woods towards the Raptor, starting the train of Marines, hopefully, behind her.

Bennett has parked her raptor at the very edge of the clearing, such that the treeline itself provides some cover for the incoming marines. But there's a good twenty or thirty feet of open clearing where they'll either have to make a run for it, or just hope those circling raiders have really bad aim. "I hope you are unbuckled and ready to move, Rainbow," she advises her ECO. We will be dusting off as soon as we are full. I will need you to retract the ramp and harness yourself in enroute. All right?" The raptor shudders violently as one of the raiders finally scores a hit on them, but there's no bleating from betty, and a quick scan tells her that all systems are functional.

The marines are moving. Getting who they can to Bennett's raptor, starting to pile in, as Hammer's raptor lands there alongside Bennetts. Jena's there with her marine. One other, and the two dead marines on the ground. Gonna take a moment to get them to the raptor though. Meanwhile above the battle's going on.

Warren shifts, great, two diving him. He pulls hard on the stick, trying to break and give Atia a shot at the ones coming at him. The heavy though is quick on the guns, a few grazes to the hull of his Raptor but he's still moving. Infact he manages to land some rounds into a raider as he banks away from two coming at him. He keeps glancing out his cockpit, looking for the others chasing him as well ast to keep an eye on the one he has in his sights.

The hatch is coming down even as Hammer is landing the raptor. Yggy has her firearm out, and does a check before hollering, "All aboard who's comin' aboard! C'mon, marines, move it, move it!"

Holtz pours on the speed as he moves to intercept his target. He has the advantage of height over the Raider, and he uses it to deadly effect. The Raider opens fire a moment before he does, and several shots spang harmlessly off of Bennett's engines; but before it can correct its aim and strike at a weaker section of the Raptor, it explodes in a ball of flame as Holtz's guns tear it open from stem to stern.

Between Warren's coverage and the drowning in electronic signals from the Raptor, Phin doesn't have to sweat much to dodge his Raider pursuer. He just goes straight for the Raider trying to tag Holtz. And he tags it. With feeling. It's a crippling rather than killing shot but, in atmo, it's good enough. As it cripples it enough to make it crash, which kills it good.

Jena releases her Marine to the hands of the ECO if she reaches for him and looks back towards the trees. "I'm going back for the rest." Nabbing an unwounded or more able bodied Marine, she nods towards the trees. "Let's go get your team." Fully intending to drag the remainder back if she has to, but get them out all the same. No man left behind. The war waging overhead gets her prayers while she runs back towards the cover of the trees.

"Never going to get used to this," Rainbow comments to Butch off of the comms, keeping this just between the two of them while they wait to help get the survivors off planet. "The chaos, I mean. Good thing I'm tough, otherwise I just might lose my shit here." The ECO is doing her job the entire time, her eyes held forward and locked firmly on the screen.

"You can, and you will," answers Bennett evenly, her calm tone belying a razor-fine edge to the words. "Now please open your ears and listen to me. I need you to help me with our passengers. I have to take us up as soon as we are loaded, so I cannot leave my seat." They're already starting to pile in, in various states of injury; some are able to drag themselves into seats, but one sort of collapses on the floor of the raptor.

<COMBAT> Triggering new turn.
<COMBAT> Jena passes.
<COMBAT> Holtz attacks Thuglyfe with KEW but MISSES!
<COMBAT> Thuglyfe attacks Warren with KEW and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Raider7 attacks Phin with KEW and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Phin attacks Thuglyfe with KEW - Critical wound to Controls (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Ygraine suppresses Raider7 with Ecm. <successful>
<COMBAT> Bennett passes.
<COMBAT> Warren attacks Raider7 with KEW - Critical wound to Cockpit.
<COMBAT> Rspilot passes.
<COMBAT> Raider5 attacks Warren with KEW but MISSES!
<COMBAT> Atalanta attacks Raider5 with KEW and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Warren has started a new turn. Pose and choose your action.

The marines are piling in. Bennets Raptor is pretty much full, marines bleeding over that nice floor of hers. The 'able bodied' marine outside grabs the one Jena was working on to get him to Hammers raptor, leaving Jena with the two corpses to load.

Meanwhile above, Warren banks hard again trying to set up another shot for Atalanta, but they haven't flown together all that often, and her shot just misses. On the other hand Warren's weaving lands him with a wonderful shot on the Raider chasing Phin, and unloads into its cockpit. How it doesn't go down he has no clue, but its still in the air somehow.

Holtz has his sights set on the big Heavy Raider, and he cuts loose with a burst of fire… only to miss wide as the deceptively maneuverable ship veers away at the last moment. It's rocked by a shot from his wingman, but stays aloft; scowling, he closes on the Heavy's tail and brings it into his sights once more.

She's so heavy. So much so that she does not go down even when Phin scores a nasty shot on her cockpit. He curses to himself, going lower to try and get a better angle of attack.

Already running towards the forest, Jena takes a deep breath when she arrives. Looking between the two deceased Marines. One or the other? Frak that, she couldn't choose. Grabbing the booted foot of each of them, she tucks one under each arm and slowly starts dragging them towards the Raptors. It's going to be a long walk… Speaking on the com, she questions…

The most able bodied are presumably going to Hammer and Milkshake's raptor, so Jena can deal with the worst utilizing her expertise as a PJ. As the marines start to fill in, Yggy retains her seat while Hammer preps to lift off.

[Into the Wireless] Jena says, "Butch, Cruz. I've got two deceased, it'll take a bit for me to get them on my own. Help would be nice, or.. waiting? Please advise. -she doesn't want to endanger the living ones or the crew-"

Zhen smiles at her pilot. "I'm fine, honest…" As the survivors board she helps get them organized and strapped in as much as she can. The one who falls to the floor is looked at and then, with a frown, she positions them so she can hold onto them while at her seat, not wanting to leave the injured unrestrained. Not the safest thing she can do but damnit, she has to try. Somehow, between all this, she keys in one more target.

[Into the Wireless] Bennett's voice crackles over the radio after a moment's hesitation, "Negative, Cruz. Leave the bodies behind and return to the bus for dustoff."

<COMBAT> Triggering new turn.
<COMBAT> Holtz attacks Thuglyfe with KEW - Moderate wound to Weapon.
<COMBAT> Zhen suppresses Thuglyfe with Ecm. <unsuccessful>
<COMBAT> Jena passes.
<COMBAT> Phin attacks Thuglyfe with KEW - Moderate wound to Right Wing (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Warren attacks Raider7 with KEW and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Atalanta attacks Raider5 with KEW - Moderate wound to Weapon.
<COMBAT> Ygraine suppresses Raider7 with Ecm. <successful>
<COMBAT> Thuglyfe attacks Warren with KEW - Moderate wound to Weapon.
<COMBAT> Rspilot passes.
<COMBAT> Raider7 attacks Phin with KEW and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Raider5 attacks Warren with KEW - Light wound to Controls (Reduced by Armor).
<COMBAT> Bennett passes.
<COMBAT> Warren has started a new turn. Pose and choose your action.
<COMBAT> Raider-0378b has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Raider5 has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Heavy Raider-9352b has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Thuglyfe has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Viper-1784v has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Warren has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> You may use +combat/hero to spend a luck point and stay in the fight. Also someone may come along and treat or rally you. If you are truly out of combat, please switch your type to 'observer' so the pose tracking works properly.
<COMBAT> Warren spends a luck point to keep fighting!
<COMBAT> You spend a luck point to soldier on.

After a brief moment, Jena drops their boots and kneels beside them. She closes her eyes and prays over each one.. a hurried prayer but a prayer all the same. Taking the two coins, she squeezes her hand tight around them until they cut into her palm.. "That others may live.." reciting the motto and apologizing to the deceased Marines before she rises and runs back towards the Raptor, throwing herself in. "Gogogogo! This is it!" Closing the hatch herself, if possible.

Warren bears down on his target and pulls the trigger. No sooner does he do this than fire comes lancing through his guns, then into his control surfaces. "FRAK!" he yells as his viper lurches as he struggles to get control again. He somehow manages it, managing not to slam into the treetops, and pulling up in time as he taps the wireless.

[Into the Wireless] Warren says, "Frak. I'm hit. I think I got it. Frak! Alright still airborn. Not sure how effective I am."

Phin assists Holtz is closing off the heavy raider, then finally swerves around to take care of the one that's still on hi tail. Albeit in very limpy fashion now.

The marines don't seem to be happy about leaving the dead marines behind. They're protesting as loudly as they can but the hatches to the raptors are closing, not leaving them with much choice but to tend to who they can and complain in language not fit to be spoken around ladies.

Bennett, as promised, does not wait for the hatch to be shut or either of her crew to be seated before she throttles up her bus for liftoff. Jena, in particular, may well be thrown against the side of the raptor as its engines spin up to a deafening roar and the bulky bird begins to climb. Protestations or no, she is intent upon vacating the hot zone as swiftly as possible.

The Heavy finally dies under combined fire from Holtz and his wingman. The Tauran pilot's eyes are smoldering as he watches the Heavy's remains spread themselves against the landscape before he arcs up and over in the direction of the last Raider.

[Into the Wireless] Bennett says, "Flight, Butch. We are skids up and preparing to return to Orion."

[Into the Wireless] Warren says, "> <Atalanta> Butch, Teatime. Copy that. Get moving, we'll provide cover."

<COMBAT> Triggering new turn.
<COMBAT> Ygraine suppresses Raider7 with Ecm. <successful>
<COMBAT> Warren attacks Raider7 with KEW - Moderate wound to Cockpit.
<COMBAT> Jena passes.
<COMBAT> Holtz attacks Raider7 with KEW - Light wound to Body.
<COMBAT> Atalanta attacks Raider7 with KEW - Moderate wound to Body.
<COMBAT> Bennett passes.
<COMBAT> Zhen suppresses Raider7 with Ecm. <unsuccessful>
<COMBAT> Rspilot passes.
<COMBAT> Phin attacks Raider7 with KEW and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Raider7 attacks Phin with KEW - Light wound to Nose.
<COMBAT> Warren has started a new turn. Pose and choose your action.
<COMBAT> Viper-6652q has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Phin has been KO'd!

Nothing the Marines can say to Jena can be worse than she could think to say to herself.When the rapid take-off throws her headlong into the side of the Raptor, she sits there on the floor a little dazed among the boots and the barking Marines. Finally, she looks at the loudest of them and speaks grimly. "Have a little respect for them. They'd have wanted you to get out alive." Her hand tightens, reminding her of what she carries as she stands and moves to the more wounded, to work on her enroute to Orion. "Nice flying, Butch, nice jammin' Rainbow." Slipping the coins into her pocket, she rips the uniform around the abdomen area and works on stopping the bleeding and getting her bandaged up.

After a glance in the direction of his wingman's fighter, Holtz closes for another shot at the astonishingly stubborn final Raider.

Phin is pinged on the nose. It's not a heavy hit, but it throws him off balance, which is really throwing with the gravity of atmo. He has to do some wild zigging and weaving to compensate before he rights himself.

[Into the Wireless] Holtz says, "Dolly, Storm, you still alive in there?"

[Into the Wireless] Phin says, "Storm, Dolly. I'm good. Just turned my head around. Barely scratched the paint, but gravity's a bitch."

[Into the Wireless] Holtz says, "Copy. Let's blow this thing and go home, yeah?"

Warren manages to keep it together, shifting his flight path, and pouring fire into the raider, right through that stupid red slit. And …its still flying. Frak these gods damn canners.

<COMBAT> Triggering new turn.
<COMBAT> Atalanta attacks Raider7 with KEW - Moderate wound to Left Wing.
<COMBAT> Phin passes.
<COMBAT> Ygraine suppresses Raider7 with Ecm. <successful>
<COMBAT> Warren attacks Raider7 with KEW and MISSES!
<COMBAT> Holtz attacks Raider7 with KEW - Moderate wound to Cockpit.
<COMBAT> Zhen suppresses Raider7 with Ecm. <successful>
<COMBAT> Rspilot passes.
<COMBAT> Bennett passes.
<COMBAT> Raider7 tries to attack but has no target!
<COMBAT> Jena passes.
<COMBAT> Warren has started a new turn. Pose and choose your action.
<COMBAT> Raider-5420y has been KO'd!
<COMBAT> Raider7 has been KO'd!

Bennett just continues to lumber along on her course up and away from the firefight, and toward home. The remaining raider doesn't appear to have any interest in her, anyway.

Ygraine leans into her seat as Hammer takes them up, up, up. It's just in time for her to see that one last Raider blip off the screen as she lets out a sigh of satisfaction.

Warren's second shot isn't as good as the first, but the fire from Atia, and then holtz finally put that damn thing down. The air finally looks clear. The raptors are in the air and the signal is given to haul ass back to the barn. At least they've got everyone still among the living out.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License